Bengals, Ravens both interested in TE Housler

XTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports free agent Rob Housler is drawing interest from the Bengals as well as the Ravens, and would like to make a decision "by the end of the week."

The Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday morning that there was "mutual interest" between Baltimore and the ex-Cardinal. Housler offers legit receiving upside, but was inconsistent in a Cardinals offense that doesn't feature tight ends catching passes.

He looked okay until Bruce Arians arrived.

Just turned 27 earlier this month.

Former 3rd round pick who ran a 4.74.

Bio says he can't block and sometimes doesn't try.

Well, Bengals did say they were looking for another pass catcher instead of a blocker, right?

Less than 10 catches last season hurts his value further.

Made less than 700k in salary last year.

So this guy can't block, doesn't even always try to block, had 10 catches last year..  And we want to sign him because?

He's not a former Bengal so what am I missing here?

Maybe they like him simply because he is not a man of many, many, many, many, many, many moods.

Maybe we're dropping the in-line TE then

Even if we get an in line TE let's say in like the 4th round or something. A good solid blocker.

What happens if Tyler goes down? Just remove the Te from the passing game?

We need two TEs at this point. A solid in line blocker that can catch a pass or two a game and a receiving TE to back up Tyler.

I think housler could be the latter.

He looked okay until Bruce Arians arrived.

Just turned 27 earlier this month.

Former 3rd round pick who ran a 4.74.

Bio says he can't block and sometimes doesn't try.

Well, Bengals did say they were looking for another pass catcher instead of a blocker, right?

Less than 10 catches last season hurts his value further.

Made less than 700k in salary last year.

but but but but...hobson just said is gresham came back it would be second fiddle as a blocker only....  :facepalm:

I'd rather draft Jesse James and have a long time stud.

Yeah, this guy is growing on me.  6' 7" 260 lbs.  Ran a 4.83 at the combine along with

26 reps on the bench (225 lbs).  37 inch vertical.   Doesn't have the speed to create

separation but makes the tough catches in traffic.  Good blocker.  Should be there in

the 3rd round.  Maybe even with our "compensatory" pick at #99.  

I can't seem to find a lot of tape on him.  I did find a little clip of the Penn. State vs.

Boston College game.  Looks like the first running play they show James was "holding"

towards the end of the run a little.  lol 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu8d7k9BLdA 

Archived