Danny Shelton. Would you trade up for him?

Depends on what it would take.  If we could move up from #21 to #12 for our

3rd round pick (#85) I'd do it.  Not sure I'd give up much more than

that and that's probably not enough.  

According to the value chart for draft picks we'd have to give up our 2nd

to move up to #12 and we'd still be 30 points shy.

12th overall is worth 1200 points.

21st overall is worth 800 points.

53rd overall is worth 370 points.

120th overall is worth 54 points.

For a total of 1224.

So with that, to move up to #12, we have to give up our first (#21), our second (#53)

and our fourth (#120) 

As much as I like Danny Shelton, I wouldn't give up that much I don't think.  

Depends on what it would take.  If we could move up from #21 to #12 for our

3rd round pick (#85) I'd do it.  Not sure I'd give up much more than

that and that's probably not enough.  

According to the value chart for draft picks we'd have to give up our 2nd

to move up to #12 and we'd still be 30 points shy.

12th overall is worth 1200 points.

21st overall is worth 800 points.

53rd overall is worth 370 points.

120th overall is worth 54 points.

For a total of 1224.

So with that, to move up to #12, we have to give up our first (#21), our second (#53)

and our fourth (#120) 

As much as I like Danny Shelton, I wouldn't give up that much I don't think.  

It's the Browns, they'd probably trade #12 for #21 straight up cause in their universe they'll assume higher number is worth more.

He's a pure run stopper.  He's not Ngata.  He's not going to give you much in the pass rush department.  Even though he had 9 sacks last year, 7 of them came against Hawaii, Eastern Washington, and Georgia State.

I don't think you trade up for a pure run stopper and they tend to fall in the draft pretty often unless they have some freaky athleticism that it doesn't appear Shelton possesses based on combine numbers.  Rotoworld has had whispers about him falling as well.  He may be more of a 0 technique than a 1 technique, though he may be able to provide some pass rush opposed to none like the big NT's in the league.

The Bengals aren't giving away any picks this year, I don't believe.  Not with all the upcoming FA's next year.  Even though they won't all make the roster, you are going to see some convenient IR's just like McCarron last year.

I don't think he's quite worth trading up for. We are going to get a very good player at #21 (maybe even Shelton if he falls), so I don't think he'd end up being that big of an upgrade compared to our options that should be there at #21 that I'd be giving up a 3rd or more to get him.

I think that's especially true this year because we have a decent amount of needs and those two 3rd rounders should hit us really well for some of them. We should be able to get one of the 3 or 4 best TEs in the draft in the 3rd round. And that's a pretty huge need with Eifert the only legit TE on the roster (and he's struggled to stay healthy). We also need a speedy slot WR and return man and I think round 3 you could get a Tyler Lockett or Rashad Greene. You could also get a potential starter at LB in round 3 if they wanted to go that direction. 

I do agree with those who are saying he'd be a good pick at 21 though. He'd make a major impact on the run defense and that's been a problem lately, especially in the playoffs.

Deserve consideration ? He's a stud.

I agree he'd be an upgrade from Peko as a run stopper who doesn't provide much pass rush. I'd rather have Malcom Brown who is maybe not quite as good at run stopping but is better at rushing. But the team seems content with Peko and seems to regard him as a good player. I think he's a below average player who should already have been replaced. Pot Roast Knighton is playing for only a little more than Peko this year (about $300K) but the team didn't make Fairley a serious offer when he was here and didn't bring in any other upgrades at DT. 

I'd say he's far from a sure thing, personally.

Good run stuffer but as pointed out had inflated numbers against tiny teams.  He's "falling down boards" for a reason right now. One of the knocks on him is that he's a guy that, if punched in the face early, will disappear all game.

He's also incredibly overweight (and I mean FAT) and painfully un-athletic.  Peko is actually an extremely good athlete for his size (Remember Marvin raving about him always staying on his feet and the big INT return for a TD at MSU?).  If you want a Peko 2.0 that guy in this draft is Rakeem Nunez-Rochez.  People didn't even know who he was a month ago and now the "experts" have him as a solid 3 rounder. Grady Jarret still gets my vote for DT man-crush though, because I think he's stout against the run but provides real pocket crunching ability too.

In short, I think Shelton's a much better fit as a NT in a 3-4 than a 1 Tech here.

I hope the Bengals do not draft him, we have Peko and Thompson and I don't think that Shelton is better than either one of those guys. He's just another guy, can't see him making much of an impact on the NFL level for many of the reasons that Alley listed above. 

I watched a few games of Shelton's at Washington last year and I wasn't really impressed by this guy that's supposed to be a first round pick. If he was being talked about as a 2-3 round pick I would be all over him, but not in the first. 

I hope the Bengals do not draft him, we have Peko and Thompson and I don't think that Shelton is better than either one of those guys. He's just another guy, can't see him making much of an impact on the NFL level for many of the reasons that Alley listed above. 

I watched a few games of Shelton's at Washington last year and I wasn't really impressed by this guy that's supposed to be a first round pick. If he was being talked about as a 2-3 round pick I would be all over him, but not in the first. 

How does an average DT get 91 tackles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjSO21zK5EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApVNSKl-oFc

Archived