Bengals rookie factoids: Marcus Hardison's sack numbers

Bengals rookie factoids: Marcus Hardison's sack numbers

CINCINNATI -- As the Cincinnati Bengals' rookies prepare to take part in next week's voluntary organized team activities (OTAs), it's a good time to look at some of the things they do well.

We'll spend the next couple of weeks breaking down one statistic connected to each player's college career.

First-round pick Cedric Ogbuehi's run-block efficiency, second-round pick Jake Fisher's uptempo background, third-round pick Tyler Kroft's first-down and touchdown production per reception, third-round pick P.J. Dawson's interception return yards and fourth-round pick Josh Shaw's tackles for loss all were explored last week. You can read each factoid here.

Up next: the second of two fourth-round picks, defensive tackle Marcus Hardison and his sack numbers:

After ranking dead last in the NFL in sacks last season, the Bengals spent this offseason looking for a couple of bodies to help enhance their pass rush.

Through free agency, they got back former Bengals third-rounder Michael Johnson. Then, late in the fourth round of the draft earlier this month, Cincinnati grabbed another young lineman who they believe eventually will be able to help them get after quarterbacks.

At Arizona State, Hardison played a variety of positions along the defensive line. He was at both interior positions and spent the bulk of his time rushing off the edge. Although he went through the draft process labeled a defensive end, the Bengals believe he's more of a tackle. They believe he has the burst and athleticism that, paired with Geno Atkins, could be tough to combat for opposing offensive lines.

From his various positions, Hardison collected 10 sacks last season. He had only one the year before in his first season with the Sun Devils. He started his collegiate career at Dodge City Community College in Dodge City, Kansas.

Hardison had multisack games three times last season. He had two each against Washington, Oregon State and Washington State. In the middle of the season, he had a six-game streak in which he recorded at least one sack. All but one of them -- the 35-27 loss to Oregon State -- were Arizona State wins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17308/bengals-marcus-hardison-nfl-draft-rookie-factoids-sack-numbers

I hope this guy works out. He could potentially take our d-line to the next level.

that sounds nice... It would be awesome for a late round guy like that to step up and be awesome... Like Geno did..

I would love for Hardison and Dawson to be big time right off the get go....

Hardison's tape left me totally conflicted pre draft.  He's clearly got some fast twitch and get off, but he also has virtually zero power and regularly gets stymied when that quick first step is neutralized.  

After watching about four games of his, I floated the question if his best move might not be trying to shave 20 of those 307 lbs off and make a push for legit DE.  It takes a lot longer to build strength than it does to cut weight and add speed.

I remain confused as why we didn't take a slightly lesser version of Geno with Grady Jarrett.   I pray I'm wrong, because that was a choice that hurt me during draft weekend.  Hurt me deeply.

(Hardison was on my list of targeted guys mind you, but Grady Jarrett just had unreal penetrating power and disruption from the interior that IMO will translate better for a DT than simple quick twitch. (and before you invoke Warren Sapp, remember he brought some power as well)...

I like Hardison and im glad we got a guy that can play the position and not  a project guy....

Oh but he is a project at DT, as the team has already admitted.  He might get some rotational snaps, but he's a project all the same. 

Oh but he is a project at DT, as the team has already admitted.  He might get some rotational snaps, but he's a project all the same. 

what are you talking about. The guy had ten sacks last year by himself.... our team only had what? 20 all year. They better use the guy because we aren't getting it done. New blood in the water!

Are you seriously using college stats to mean anything in terms of NFL projection.

Michael Sam, and his 20-something SEC player of the year sacks, and now of the Canadian Football League, says hello.

Go watch the college games of Hardison and then get back to me, and tell me where he fits on our line AS HE IS now.  

He's either gotta lose 25 lbs and play DE or gain 20 (in his legs, because he has no anchor/power) and play DT.

But here's the rub, and why he's a definite project.  We're going to play him at 3 tech.  That means he's playing the same position as Geno.  So MAYBE they put him on the field side-by-side with Geno during passing situations, but that means that one of Hunt or Clarke or even Gilberry won't be on the field.  

I guess he COULD replace a 3rd round project (who just put on 15 lbs) or a 2nd round Project (who indeed may find himself on the street this season), but why would we automatically assume a rookie 4th round project is going to displace two higher-drafted vet projects? 

It's a veritable musical chairs of projects!

I appreciate Hardison's upside, and hope he turns into a monster, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for this year. 

Are you seriously using college stats to mean anything in terms of NFL projection.

Michael Sam, and his 20-something SEC player of the year sacks, and now of the Canadian Football League, says hello.

Go watch the college games of Hardison and then get back to me, and tell me where he fits on our line AS HE IS now.  

He's either gotta lose 25 lbs and play DE or gain 20 (in his legs, because he has no anchor/power) and play DT.

But here's the rub, and why he's a definite project.  We're going to play him at 3 tech.  That means he's playing the same position as Geno.  So MAYBE they put him on the field side-by-side with Geno during passing situations, but that means that one of Hunt or Clarke or even Gilberry won't be on the field.  

I guess he COULD replace a 3rd round project (who just put on 15 lbs) or a 2nd round Project (who indeed may find himself on the street this season), but why would we automatically assume a rookie 4th round project is going to displace two higher-drafted vet projects? 

It's a veritable musical chairs of projects!

I appreciate Hardison's upside, and hope he turns into a monster, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for this year. 

I honestly think Clarke will give us some quality snaps off the bench this season. I predict something like 20-30 tackles, 3 sacks. 

Hardison is a project for sure, don't expect big things his rookie season. I love the pick, but I know it'll take at least a season or two before we see his playmaking ability. 

Hardison had the stats but Jarrett was far more disruptive on tape. 

My one hope:

Though Hardison doesn't appear to have the power, he does have speed, which is the one comment element from the 3 DTs who I think are models for the position:

Warren Sapp

Geno Atkins

Aaron Donald

Hardison didn't run as fast as those guys but he also ran at 10-30 lbs heavier.

He's hard to peg because of his body type. He's not built like the other, shorter undersized pass rushers that some people compare him to (like Geno). He's almost built like a little bit shorter/thicker Carlos Dunlap and looks like a big DE with his long arms and relatively slim lower half (compared to NFL DTs).

Can't think of a recent Bengals DT with a similar build actually. 

Marcus+Hardison+Utah+v+Arizona+State+eZ7

He's hard to peg because of his body type. He's not built like the other, shorter undersized pass rushers that some people compare him to (like Geno). He's almost built like a little bit shorter/thicker Carlos Dunlap and looks like a big DE with his long arms and relatively slim lower half (compared to NFL DTs).

Can't think of a recent Bengals DT with a similar build actually. 

Marcus+Hardison+Utah+v+Arizona+State+eZ7

Which is why, in the pre-draft process, after looking at him, I thought the best move might be to have him lose 20 lbs. With his speed and bend (one of the few guys in the draft who actually had some bend and could run the arc in the draft this year), you might have something there.  Also seems a lot easier than  trying to convert that frame into a 3-tech.  As a long term project I'm hoping he has upside in any case.  I just don't think we can expect a huge impact from him as DT this year. 

Archived