Andy Dalton eager to step up and lead the Bengals

Andy Dalton eager to step up and lead the Bengals

FOX Sports

MAY 28, 2015 4:02p ET

091714-NFL-tiger-pride-ahn-PI.vadapt.955
Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton is ready to take on a bigger leadership role in his fifth NFL season.

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton knows he has to do more if he's going to get his team over the playoff hump. 

Now with four seasons under his belt -- and four quick playoff exits -- Dalton seems poised to assume a stronger role as a leader. With only three players with more seniority on the offense than Dalton -- Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, and Cedric Peerman -- the quarterback knows he must take ownership of the team.

"Obviously as a quarterback you have that leadership position from the start, but I played a lot of games, it's year five, I’m not new to this stuff anymore,” Dalton said. "I'm not a young guy in this locker room. It’s kind of that next phase of my career and where I’m going."

Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is already noticing a difference, noting that his quarterback is already taking charge at the start of OTAs this week.

“I was doing it all. He’s doing it now and that’s his job," Jackson said after the workout per the team's official website. "Good demeanor. Different in the sense that he’s more mature. He understands. He expects a lot from his guys, he expects a lot from himself. So he's pushing. He talked to them twice before we even came out here. He’s taken the lead."

Jackson has been urging Dalton since last season's early playoff exit to expand his presence, saying that his unit needs fire, grit, and leadership to take the next step. 

"It’s the next step in the leadership for me," Dalton said. "It’s not that I haven’t been vocal, it’s just I’m finding more areas and ways to say things."

By the looks of Tuesday's first workout, Dalton won't be alone, as his favorite target is already stepping up. A.J. Green extended to make a diving catch along the sideline on a pass from Dalton and was all over the field as defenders struggled to stay with him. 

Second-year running back Jeremy Hill has also recognized a chance in Dalton's demeanor. 

"I think he’s definitely being more vocal this year," Hill said of Dalton. "In my opinion, he was vocal last year, but this year (it's more to do with the little things). Obviously Hue knows exactly what he wants. It's his offense. But at the end of the day he wants his quarterback to be the model of him."

Jackson was happy with the results on day one. "No turnovers. That's good for a first day."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/andy-dalton-eager-to-step-up-and-lead-the-bengals-052815

Archived