Which NFL team is best poised to end its city’s championship drought?

Which NFL team is best poised to end its city’s championship drought?

Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT

unknown1.jpeg?w=375

With the Cavaliers qualifying for the NBA Finals, the city of Cleveland could finally shed most of its Factory of Sadness sports vibe.

Which brings me to Wednesday’s PFT Planet poll question: Which NFL team is best positioned to end a drought of 20 years or more in its current city?

Pick an answer, and then tune in to Pro Football Talk on NBCSN at 5:30 p.m. ET to see the answer. And to hear more about the latest NFL news, with Paul Burmeister, Ross Tucker, Jason Taylor, and yours truly.

Thank you for voting!
Vikings.  26.41%  (3,491 votes)  

Bengals.  23.89%  (3,157 votes)  

Chargers.  20.48%  (2,707 votes)  

Texans.  16.33%  (2,158 votes)  

Falcons.  12.89%  (1,703 votes)  

Total Votes: 13,216

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/27/which-nfl-team-is-best-poised-to-end-a-championship-drought/

Cleveland....no God, please NO!!!

i'd hate it as much as you, but i am concerned they are turning that thing around finally, and they did have a helluva draft to improve their stock considerably. perhaps it's too much to expect in a single years' time, but they do seem to be making better decisions than they have in the past. the thing that organization has that we don't, is an owner who's not afraid to spend money in free agency. it would not surprise me to see them make further progress. it absolutely chaps my ass that they drafted shelton, and then orchard. we're going to have problems containing both those guys. they had a ton of picks, but it was clearly obvious to me that they had the best draft of anyone in our division.

Actually I was referring to the first line of the article. Granted, winning a championship in a fake sport like the NBA is not great in and of itself, however it will energize the Noth Coast to maddening levels of chest pounding that will certainly carry over to the Brownies.

Unfortunately, there is no Michael Jordan to save us from this predetermined situation. They will be completely insufferable now.

keep in mind they flat out dominated us for one game last year...we couldn't do anything with them, and that shit stuck in my craw. i hate that team like no other, but they've made up some ground.

That says more about us than it does Cleveland imho

Actually I was referring to the first line of the article. Granted, winning a championship in a fake sport like the NBA is not great in and of itself, however it will energize the Noth Coast to maddening levels of chest pounding that will certainly carry over to the Brownies.

How does having the best basketball player on the planet carry over to the Browns?

IMHO King James collecting another ring doesn't magically transform Manziel into a QB who can actually hit a fan with a water bottle, nor does it change anything else.

What it changes is the attitude of the insufferable Cleveland fan. In recent years, they have been remarkably quiet---no loudmouth, swaggering, crap. No team up there had given them even the slightest hope of success. But give the Tribe one small stretch where they might be 3 games out of a WC, or the Brownies last year go on a modest win streak, and they become obnoxiously loud.

Now..give them a Title in even the fake NBA? God help us!

How does having the best basketball player on the planet carry over to the Browns?

IMHO King James collecting another ring doesn't magically transform Manziel into a QB who can actually hit a fan with a water bottle, nor does it change anything else.

It doesn't. But the city of Cleveland has a good shot to win a sports championship.

It doesn't. But the city of Cleveland has a good shot to win a sports championship.

They won't. They'll find a way to blow it. Like when Lebron was there before. Plus they have to play a Western team now.

Lebron is awesome. I'm rooting against Cleveland. Their fans suck.

Florio is wrong. The factory of sadness is the Cleveland Browns. Not Cavs or Tribe.

Maybe it would be fun to watch Cavs win it then see "Brownstown" get destroyed, I doubt it.

They won't. They'll find a way to blow it. Like when Lebron was there before. Plus they have to play a Western team now.

Not sure he "blew it" when he was there before.  It's pretty amazing he even got that roster to the Finals.  And it was against the Spurs at their peak. 

He's gotten this current roster sans Love, Varejao and Kyrie for the most part to the Finals.  It'll be fun to see how this one plays out, LBJ is playing out of his mind right now.

I cannot stand it. The Cleveland Browns are doing a great job turning it around. If the solve their long search for a middle tier QB, they will start having winning seasons.

I cannot stand it. The Cleveland Browns are doing a great job turning it around. If the solve their long search for a middle tier QB, they will start having winning seasons.

Pettine seems to be a decent coach, based on a 1 year sample. But the Browns main problem is constant turnover, both in the front office and of coaches and players. 

Not sure he "blew it" when he was there before.  It's pretty amazing he even got that roster to the Finals.  And it was against the Spurs at their peak. 

He's gotten this current roster sans Love, Varejao and Kyrie for the most part to the Finals.  It'll be fun to see how this one plays out, LBJ is playing out of his mind right now.

I didn't say that he blew it. I said they blew it. It's called reading comprehension. Unless you just wanted an excuse to defend Lebron.

Hate Cleveland.

Respect LaBron.  NBA fan for 30+ years.  He is as good as anyone I have ever seen.

Dude took a roster full of future Sun Glass Hut employees to the finals his third year.  Pretty amazing stuff.  Not a LeBron anything since I don't follow the NBA much but that is pretty incredible stuff.  That said, FUCK CLEVELAND. 

There is no topic. The article begins with a non sequitur, which spurred my distaste with any fan of anything Cleveland being a part of any title. It trails off with analyses of fake stars in a fake league. I suppose if they get to win something, this is the lamest and least obnoxious-producing.

But for the sake of the topic, which is apparently in the title, I do actually believe it will be the Bengals.

Archived