Mike Brown says Bengals might finally honor their past

Mike Brown says Bengals might finally honor their past

By JOE KAY (AP Sports Writer) 38 minutes ago AP - Sports

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Bengals owner Mike Brown has changed his mind and is finally willing to honor some of the franchise's best players at a stadium where there is virtually no trace of the past.

Brown says he's never been nostalgic and doesn't care for paying tribute to past stars. The only nod to the Bengals' history at Paul Brown Stadium is that it's named after his father, something that left him with mixed feelings. There is no Bengals Hall of Fame.

Other NFL teams have rings of honor or statues honoring figures from the past.

During the team's annual training camp luncheon on Tuesday, Brown said the team is considering ways to recognize previous players at the stadium.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mike-brown-says-bengals-might-finally-honor-past-203830034--nfl.html

It must suck for past Bengal greats to see their peers immortalized by their teams and absolutely nothing for them. It's a backhanded slap. So foreign to soP. I wonder if the Favre honoring stirred any of this.

Who knows?  My guess is that the change in opinion is related to the fan surveys they've done.   There have been sections asking questions of honoring the past and pageantry about the stadium. 

They sell to the same market as the Reds.  People have seen PBS become stale and GABP receive annual improvements.  A lot of those improvements are focused on Reds past and done smartly that some are done to produce new revenue streams.   Reds do a nice job of improving the stadium that are self serving but also get positive reaction from fans. 

Up until recently, a lot of the improvements done to PBS aren't visible to the fans as they've been business or team related.  Weight rooms, cashier systems etc.

Finally the Bengals will get HD video boards, Wifi last year.  They've started adding more orange and black to the concourses. 

Reds have to sell 81 games and rely more on local revenues because of the MLB system.  Bengals have to sell 10 games and sit back a suck off the shared revenue of the NFL.    The difference shows in the efforts made in fan experience, IMO. 

Who knows?  My guess is that the change in opinion is related to the fan surveys they've done.   There have been sections asking questions of honoring the past and pageantry about the stadium. 

They sell to the same market as the Reds.  People have seen PBS become stale and GABP receive annual improvements.  A lot of those improvements are focused on Reds past and done smartly that some are done to produce new revenue streams.   Reds do a nice job of improving the stadium that are self serving but also get positive reaction from fans. 

Up until recently, a lot of the improvements done to PBS aren't visible to the fans as they've been business or team related.  Weight rooms, cashier systems etc.

Finally the Bengals will get HD video boards, Wifi last year.  They've started adding more orange and black to the concourses. 

Reds have to sell 81 games and rely more on local revenues because of the MLB system.  Bengals have to sell 10 games and sit back a suck off the shared revenue of the NFL.    The difference shows in the efforts made in fan experience, IMO. 

Scharm,

I get what you're saying but if soP needs fan surveys to convince him that honoring past greats is what should be done, he's either clueless, callous, cheap or lazy.

Since it's never been done, even pre-PBS, it can't be a money issue to honor a few players each year. If he actually thought it through it, he would realize that honoring and calling attention to past greats would go towards building the credibility, reputation, and pride of the Bengals brand - good for past, present and potential players and the fans. Of course he does opposite, the king of PR and branding.

Scharm,

I get what you're saying but if soP needs fan surveys to convince him that honoring past greats is what should be done, he's either clueless, callous, cheap or lazy.

Since it's never been done, even pre-PBS, it can't be a money issue to honor a few players each year. If he actually thought it through it, he would realize that honoring and calling attention to past greats would go towards building the credibility, reputation, and pride of the Bengals brand - good for past, present and potential players and the fans. Of course he does opposite, the king of PR and branding.

keep in mind that soP learned the practice from....Paul.  Paul Brown wasn't a fan of displays of nostalgia.

Scharm,

Well see here's the rub.   If you tour the lockerooms/offices/weight rooms of PBS.   Those areas are decked out in Bengals with references to the accomplishments to the team.

Lots of Orange and Black. Lots of Bengal logos.  Lots of Paul Brown quotes.   Images of Munoz and James Brooks.   Halls lined with framed photographs of players that won AFC Player of the weeks/months etc.

So at some point, someone recognized the value of that stuff in regards to the team areas.

The areas were the fans visit and spend most of their time are mostly the way they came when PBS opened.   Bare concrete.  Dusty Banners hung at the main gates of past Bengals.

My guess is clueless, doesn't care, cheap.    Now PBS is going to have some sort of rebranding for this season.   I've been past the stadium and I'm guessing there will be a little more Orange and Black in the stadium concourses.   Wifi was last year.   HD video boards this year.   Club areas are going to be updated (they've sold all the old furniture)

But the organization has let that stadium get dated quickly and chose to fight with Hamilton county on financing it while they've watched their ticket base dwindle.

keep in mind that soP learned the practice from....Paul.  Paul Brown wasn't a fan of displays of nostalgia.

The team areas are decked out Bengals and nostalgia.  

Bengals are a bunch of lawyers and accountants that could probably recite all players contracts and county lease documents upon request.   They simply did not care or realize the value of "fan fluff" and certainly didn't want to pay for any of it when Section 5, paragraph 3, line 2, of Section 1-A article III says Hamilton county should probably pay for it.

For example:  Years ago PBS featured "Pig Skin" pub.  All it is is a fake wall and doors branded like an old English Pub and behind that are pub tables.  It's 3 old concessions stands.   The place has been packed every time I venture out into the concourse.    The feature micro brews etc.   Wonderfully overpriced.   People love.   That couldn't have cost more than $5K to make.    Probably generates 10X the sales that those normal concession stands would draw.   

Why that hasn't been improved upon or replicated in the stadium is beyond me.   You could easily throw up some Nostalgia stuff, call it the Freeze Bowl Pub.   Reds figured this shit out a while back. 

Bengals need some image police and business development people badly. 

Archived