James Wright clears waivers, lands on Bengals' IR

James Wright clears waivers, lands on Bengals' IR

CINCINNATI -- One day after he was released under an injury designation by the Cincinnati Bengals, receiver James Wright cleared waivers Wednesday, meaning he will stay with the team as part of its injured reserve.

His season is officially over.

Wright had to be released in order for the Bengals to open a spot on their 90-man roster ahead of training camp, which begins Friday at Paul Brown Stadium. The Bengals currently have 89 players and are expected to turn to free agency in order to replace Wright.

Reggie Wayne, James Jones, Greg Little, Wes Welker and Dane Sanzenbacher are a few of the notable free-agent receivers who are still available.

It's likely the Bengals will opt for a free-agent addition who could be signed to a one-year deal. Coaches still value Wright and were even praising him back in the spring when there was still hope his knee might recover in time for the season. Many believed he'd be the fourth receiver behind A.J. Green, Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu this season. Coaches and trainers hope the 23-year-old Wright can get healthy and become a key contributor in 2016.

Wright originally hurt himself last November after landing awkwardly from a jump at the end of a 30-yard pass late in the Bengals' Week 13 win at Tampa Bay. Like all three of his catches that day, the rookie had just converted a first down on a third-down play.

He appeared in 11 games last season, catching five passes for 91 yards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/18056/bengals-james-wright-injured-reserve-ir-clears-waivers

Who is this guy? Was he on the team last season? I am forgetful.

7th round pick out of LSU. Started to come on towards the end of the year before getting injured.

Looked like he was going to be the #4 WR this year if healthy. Also a key special teamer, arguably the top gunner on the team. 

Not as bad as losing a starter, but he was an important backup/special teamer and at a position with shitty depth, so it's a real loss.

That sucks, I wish his name was more memorable.

Let me look at who the Bengals have right now ...

Tevin Reese and Onterrio McCaleb have cool names, I think they will fill in for him just fine.

Hobson mentioned the possibility of the Bengals trading for WR help if Moore continues to disappoint and Bengals can't get what they're looking for when the late cuts come.

How about Cordarelle Patterson as a potential trade target?

He's getting mixed reviews at camp and looks like he'll once again be relegated to KR duties and the  #4 WR role.

Based upon where he was drafted that's not nearly good enough for the Vikings but it's exactly what the Bengals are looking for.

Hobson mentioned the possibility of the Bengals trading for WR help if Moore continues to disappoint and Bengals can't get what they're looking for when the late cuts come.

How about Cordarelle Patterson as a potential trade target?

He's getting mixed reviews at camp and looks like he'll once again be relegated to KR duties and the  #4 WR role.

Based upon where he was drafted that's not nearly good enough for the Vikings but it's exactly what the Bengals are looking for.

I was advocating some kind of Patterson trade earlier this year.  While he seems to have some Jerome Simpson issues, comparing Patterson to Brandon Tate seems like an easy upgrade. 

Think Zimmer still likes Hunt?

I was advocating some kind of Patterson trade earlier this year.  While he seems to have some Jerome Simpson issues, comparing Patterson to Brandon Tate seems like an easy upgrade. 

Think Zimmer still likes Hunt?

That's a pretty solid idea. If a trade goes down, figure it would be either a late round pick or one of our D Linemen heading out. 

Some reports over the summer though that Patterson was improving and starting to put it all together, so they might not bail just yet. They did add Mike Wallace and Stefon Diggs over the summer though so maybe he's expendable. 

That's a pretty solid idea. If a trade goes down, figure it would be either a late round pick or one of our D Linemen heading out. 

Some reports over the summer though that Patterson was improving and starting to put it all together, so they might not bail just yet. They did add Mike Wallace and Stefon Diggs over the summer though so maybe he's expendable. 

it's probably a pipe dream, but i'd love to see something like that. he'd make a helluva return guy, who has immense potential as a WR that would be worth investing the time in. maybe hue and urban could get him over the hump in time. if you ever get that gem polished, you'd really have something. i've about given up on hunt. i didn't like the pick when they made it, and i haven't seen much to change that thinking in the 2 years he's been here.

Archived