Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231561' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:10 AM']I still think that if this goes down, one of the two gets moved to Simmons spot rather than Pollack going to DE.[/quote]

For now anyway. Then they let Smith go and move Pollack up to DE?

I think LaVar would probably be athletic enough to play WLB.

If they can keep LaVar happy, that would be one sick LB unit.

But I still have serious doubts this will happen.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Jason' post='231564' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:14 AM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='231561' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:10 AM']
I still think that if this goes down, one of the two gets moved to Simmons spot rather than Pollack going to DE.[/quote]

For now anyway. Then they let Smith go and move Pollack up to DE?

I think LaVar would probably be athletic enough to play WLB.

If they can keep LaVar happy, that would be one sick LB unit.

But I still have serious doubts this will happen.
[/quote]

isn't WLB the less athletic of the two?

I thought it was Strongside that has to guard TE's. If so, I would move pollack to WLB where his transition will be quicker.

I'm not sure if I have that right though.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I would love to see Arrington in stripes as he is a elite athlete, the type that God only makes a few of in every generation. He has insane combination of size, speed, and strength. I think this season humbled Arrington, a little bit, and he apprieciates a coach like Marvin more than he did when Marvin was his DC in D.C.

Arrington would give us quality depth @ lb and another playmaker whom which opposing offenses must account for on every play. With Dexter Jackson already in the fold, adding Arrington would be final piece to the puzzle as he would bring the swagger that this defense sorely needs. We could use him in a 3-4 formation, with Odell and Simmons playing ILB, while Arrington and Pollack play OLB. I hope we seriously make a play for Arrington and he realizes that coming to Cincy would give him the best chance at getting a ring.

Arrington already left NYC without signing so I doubt he will sign with the Giants and the Browns are a season or two away from being serious contenders. I could see him signing with the Eagles so he can play the Redskins every year and show up Synder and Co., which is something he said he wanted to do, but the Eagles don't like paying lb's big dollars. However they will pony up the cash for gifted players like Kearse, Westbrook, and T.O. They did just sign Darren Howard to a big money deal so they could be done handing out big pay days, or maybe not.

It should be a fun week.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='231562' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:13 AM'][b]Pollack to DE .... and Lavar to OLB

[size=3]= Boner [/b] [/size][/quote]
I'm definitely with ya on that one man.

[quote name='Rick' post='231500' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:31 AM']Hey TheBZ, you wrote that at [b][color="#FF0000"]03:40 AM [/color] [/b]is morning. WHAT are you doing that late (or early) up? Do you ever sleep?[/quote]

A struggling writer has very little time for sleep, Rick...Lately, I've been sleeping between 3:30-7:30AM, with an hour nap in the afternoon.

It's a bit messed up, and it's starting to wear me down...I start to feel like Jack Nicholson in the 'The Shining'.

Back to Arrington...It would definitely indicate a greater use of a 3-man front, I think...But the key (as always) is Pollack's ability to line up with his hand on the ground, and for a guy like Geathers to move inside.

This is the versatility they have been building towards, and it would make it VERY difficult for Offenses to look at Smith, Pollack and Arrington...And not knowing who was coming, and who is staying.

I still don't see Pollack becoming a full-time DE, though...I think he is talented enough that they will just move him around all the time, and he'll be a TRUE tweener. It's what they've been building for.

I can't even hazard a guess as to what Arrington would want...$6-7M per season?

When you factor in a back-up QB, Jackson and that...That only leaves 2-3 left to extend one of the OLinemen. Still...There are other cuts that could be made without touching Robinson or Thornton. (Herring and Moore would free up $1.5M)

BZ

Per Lance's Blog:

[quote]Tuesday, March 14, 2006
What I'm being told today
Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut
They won't retain Kevin Walter
They are pursuing a deal for LaVar Arrington......and it looks like they will get it done.
If they can seal the deal with Arrington.......Robert Gathers would move inside and David Pollack would move to DE.
They were impressed with Robert Gathers enough inside, to put him there more often....and move Pollack to DE. This would allow them to essentialy have 4 LB's on the field.....and switch from 4-3 to 3-4 without substituting from play to play.
QB: Looks like they will have one in the next week......it won't be Kitna[/quote]

[url="http://www.lance1360homer.com/blog.asp"]Linky[/url]

Guest schotzee
[quote name='TheBZ' post='231594' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:41 AM'][quote name='Rick' post='231500' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:31 AM']
Hey TheBZ, you wrote that at [b][color="#FF0000"]03:40 AM [/color] [/b]is morning. WHAT are you doing that late (or early) up? Do you ever sleep?[/quote]

A struggling writer has very little time for sleep, Rick...Lately, I've been sleeping between 3:30-7:30AM, with an hour nap in the afternoon.

It's a bit messed up, and it's starting to wear me down...I start to feel like Jack Nicholson in the 'The Shining'.

Back to Arrington...It would definitely indicate a greater use of a 3-man front, I think...But the key (as always) is Pollack's ability to line up with his hand on the ground, and for a guy like Geathers to move inside.

This is the versatility they have been building towards, and it would make it VERY difficult for Offenses to look at Smith, Pollack and Arrington...And not knowing who was coming, and who is staying.

I still don't see Pollack becoming a full-time DE, though...I think he is talented enough that they will just move him around all the time, and he'll be a TRUE tweener. It's what they've been building for.

I can't even hazard a guess as to what Arrington would want...$6-7M per season?

When you factor in a back-up QB, Jackson and that...That only leaves 2-3 left to extend one of the OLinemen. [b]Still...There are other cuts that could be made without touching Robinson or Thornton.[/b] (Herring and Moore would free up $1.5M)

BZ
[/quote]

Yes ,it can be done ,no doubt.Marvin made it sound like there would be somewhat of a minor roster
turnover after the playoff loss.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='231598' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:44 AM']Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut
They are pursuing a deal for LaVar Arrington......and it looks like they will get it done.
If they can seal the deal with Arrington.......Robert Gathers would move inside and David Pollack would move to DE.
They were impressed with Robert Gathers enough inside, to put him there more often....and move Pollack to DE. This would allow them to essentialy have 4 LB's on the field.....and switch from 4-3 to 3-4 without substituting from play to play.
QB: Looks like they will have one in the next week......it won't be Kitna[/quote]

[/quote]

WOW!

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='Jason' post='231605' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:50 AM'][quote name='Phatcat' post='231598' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:44 AM']
Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]

WOW!
[/quote]

[b]who's Lance ?[/b]

Guest Bengals1181
Time to bring this boy back again:

[img]http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9207/2006bengalsalaryrev23ry.jpg[/img]

I think that if Arrington is signed, it will spell the end of Simmons, freeing up $1.6 million.

I also think that we will still eventually see the end of Tory James at some point, although maybe not before we sign Arrington.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='231598' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:44 AM']Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]ill bust a nut all ove rthe computer screen if that happens... dt and safety in rds 1-2 and id call it a muthafucking sweetass off-season...

or something like that

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='231609' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:54 AM'][quote name='Jason' post='231605' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:50 AM']
[quote name='Phatcat' post='231598' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:44 AM']
Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]

WOW!
[/quote]

[b]who's Lance ?[/b]
[/quote]

Lance McAlister is a sports talk host in Cincy who apparently has some Bengals connections.

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]

Damn I am starting to get excited. Still don't believe it though.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='231609' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:54 AM'][quote name='Jason' post='231605' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:50 AM']
Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]

WOW!
[/quote]

[b]who's Lance ?[/b]
[/quote]

BJ,

Lance McAlister is a sports radio personality on 1360AM The Sports Animal. His word isn't actually golden but he's reporting what Bengals personnel is feeding him. Although we all thought Sapp was a done deal too and look what happened. I'm on the fence on whether or not I want LaVar. I always just say, If Marvin wants him on the team, then I do too. It certainly adds a big name to our defense, but does it raise our game? I'm all for improving the team but Marvin must be certain he can corral Arrington free lancing demeanor.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Jason' post='231621' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:01 AM'][quote name='BlackJesus' post='231609' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:54 AM']
[quote name='Jason' post='231605' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:50 AM']
Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]

WOW!
[/quote]

[b]who's Lance ?[/b]
[/quote]

Lance McAlister is a sports talk host in Cincy who apparently [b]has some Bengals connections.[/b]
[/quote]

Lets hope.This suspense is gonna kill me until he is signed,be it us or someone.

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]

Uh, Mr 22, are you seeing this?

:lol:

I'm still doubtful too though. But not as much as I was a couple days ago. Hell, a couple hours ago.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='231613' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:56 AM'][quote name='Phatcat' post='231598' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:44 AM']
Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]ill bust a nut all ove rthe computer screen if that happens... dt and safety in rds 1-2 and id call it a muthafucking sweetass off-season...

or something like that
[/quote]

No it would be a muthafucking sweetass off-season, you are correct in your observation. Hopefully they git er done wit LaVar.

I hope Lance is on the money as that would make for a great offseaon, I don't care if don't sign another FA if we get LaVar.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='231629' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:05 AM'][quote name='Nati Ice' post='231613' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:56 AM']
Per Lance's Blog:

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

or something like that
[/quote]

No it would be a muthafucking sweetass off-season, you are correct in your observation. Hopefully they git er done wit LaVar.

I hope Lance is on the money as that would make for a great offseaon, [b]I don't care if don't sign another FA if we get LaVar.[/b]
[/quote]
Same here.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='231630' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:06 AM']Lance has been proven wrong too many times regarding the Bengals.

I don't beleive him.[/quote]

Not saying you're wrong,but do you have examples where he's been wrong?

This has future Bengaldom dissapointment written all over it.

I dont know how I would feel if the team signed Arrington. On paper obviously good, but he is a headache, I don't know how you would make it fit, and he would be costly, although the PR for the orginization would never be any higher. I mean I see what he can do.
Obviously a phenomonal athlete. He can do almost anything on the field, if he chooses to. But that is exactly it, undiscplined, let me make the Sportscenter highlight before the team type player.

But he is a game changer and those are few and far between, which could make him worth it all.

Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut

[/quote]
Well....this is a surprise. I really didn't think that Marvin would be interested in Lavar after calling him one of the most undisciplined players he's coached.

But then again, that was about three years ago, and Marvin has grown wiser in his three years as Bengals head coach.

Archived