Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

if we sign him i don't see us getting rid of simmons... he has been too much of a leader for too long here to just cut him.. now if we could trade him or a 2nd rounder :badger:

that should be a dancing koala

cuz koalas are way cooler than badgers

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='Honkey' post='231791' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:59 PM']if we sign him i don't see us getting rid of simmons... he has been too much of a leader for too long here to just cut him.. now if we could trade him or a 2nd rounder :badger:

cuz koalas are way cooler than badgers[/quote]

I don't see us being able to afford Arrington if we don't cut Simmons.

Cutting Simmons frees up $1.6million this year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231793' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:00 PM'][quote name='Honkey' post='231791' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:59 PM']
if we sign him i don't see us getting rid of simmons... he has been too much of a leader for too long here to just cut him.. now if we could trade him or a 2nd rounder :badger:

cuz koalas are way cooler than badgers[/quote]

I don't see us being able to afford Arrington if we don't cut Simmons.

Cutting Simmons frees up $1.6million this year.
[/quote]

then let's cut or trade his sorry ass

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231793' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:00 PM']I don't see us being able to afford Arrington if we don't cut Simmons.

Cutting Simmons frees up $1.6million this year.[/quote]

Not necessary to make any cuts at all.

We could afford to sign Arrington, Sam Adams, a back-up QB, resign two O-line and still be good if we want to.

Trust me, you can easily work the cap if you want to. If you need some evidence take the Redskins. Everybody was saying they would have to cut all these players. Look at them now signing huge deal after huge deal.

We can afford to do it, it is just a matter of if we want to.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231610' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:54 AM']Time to bring this boy back again:

[img]http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9207/2006bengalsalaryrev23ry.jpg[/img][/quote]

Wouldn't you love to see what the [b]Redskin's[/b] cap spreadsheet looks like?

[quote name='Honkey' post='231799' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:04 PM']i just saw an article on espn.com

Bengals enter Arington chase

but it's INSIDER can someone post it[/quote]

As the Bengals are concerned, it's basically a cut and paste of part of the Dayton Daily News article posted.

See post 14 of this thread.

[quote name='Jason' post='231821' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:20 PM'][quote name='Honkey' post='231799' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:04 PM']
i just saw an article on espn.com

Bengals enter Arington chase

but it's INSIDER can someone post it[/quote]

As the Bengals are concerned, it's basically a cut and paste of part of the Dayton Daily News article posted.

See post 14 of this thread.
[/quote]

Well the article from the Dayton Daily News just seems like a bunch of fluff and Lavar's agent is just trying to drive up his price... Much like Sapp a few years ago which has been mentioned. I would love to have a guy like Lavar on our defense.

Do you guys think the Bengals sometimes show interest to drive up the price on players so the team that signs player X has to take a bigger cap hit to do so?

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231640' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:13 AM']I'd imagine the lineup would look like such:

J. Smith - S. Smith - Geathers - Pollack

Arrington - Thurman - Johnson[/quote]

I don't like this at all.

-Pollack will be more effective as an OLB than DE. His strength is his quickness not his power. He would be a star at OLB, but at DE he would struggle against the run.

-Geathers didn't show ANYTHING at DT. He only played there on passing downs, and he never got any pressure on the QB. This just doesn't make any sense.

-Shaun Smith sucks. The Bengals defense was at its absolute worst when Smith was forced into the starting lineup. He wasn't even on the active roster for the playoff game. How the hell is he going to pass Thornton and Robinson on the depth chart?

-Arrington has not matured. In fact he has gotten worse. He didn't even see the playing field for most of the Redskins games. I know he is a freakish athlete, but why would we want a selfish, lazy piece of crap like that on our team.

-Landon Johnson has not shown that he is a decent OLB. He got replaced at MLB by a rookie, and only played part time at OLB last year. When he was playing I never saw him do much of anything.

Let's face it. Our defense stunk last year. Moving the same players to different positions won't make that much difference.

And NO WAY Arrington signs with Cincinnati. LB is the ONLY position on defense where we don't need help. Why spend all of our money on a position that is already the strength of our defense when we have huge needs at safety, DT, CB, and DE?

Bengals talking with agent for Arrington
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Dayton Daily News
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
The Cincinnati Bengals have been relatively quiet thus far during this free agent process, signing only veteran S Dexter Jackson, an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay, to a four-year contract on Monday. However, the club could be on the verge of making major headlines if it can land arguably the top-rated linebacker on the open market, LaVar Arrington.

Talks between the Bengals and representatives for Arrington are believed to be in the early stages, but things could heat up real soon.

According to Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, the Bengals have contacted him regarding the Pro-Bowl linebacker, with the latest conversation taking place on Monday.

"Marvin [Lewis] definitely knows LaVar and there's definitely interest there," Poston said. "Marvin not only coached LaVar, but got to know him very intimately on the defensive side of the ball. Cincinnati is a great organization under Marvin's leadership and I'm sure he would like to get LaVar in there if he could. I think Marvin will try to do that."

Arrington, 27, played only one season (2002) under Marvin Lewis when Lewis served as defensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins. Arrington had his best output as a pro that year, registering 92 tackles and 11 sacks. Adding Arrington, who is versatile, aggressive and relentless, to the mix would give the Bengals a lot of flexibility on defense both rushing the passer and stopping the run. Such a move would likely nix the experiment of David Pollack playing the outside linebacker position. During the season Pollack was most effective while playing defensive end and showed that he could play the position at the pro level, which many doubted.

When asked what it would take for a team to land Arrington, Poston insisted that it had to be the right situation.

"The players want to know that the place they are going is not only a good football team, but one where they can fit in well with the coaches. But also the city and then the financial terms have to be right," Poston said.

Poston was speaking of Arrington and his other client, San Francisco 49ers LB Julian Peterson, who is also a free agent. Peterson has long been rumored to be drawing interest from the Cleveland Browns, but Poston said he hasn't set up anything with the organization as of yet.

Both Arrington and Peterson are receiving a considerable amount of interest from teams around the league. A total of 20 have expressed interest for the standout linebackers.

So you see Bengal fans, there's a reason why the team is spending its bank wisely and not like it's Monopoly money. The Bengals are holding out, waiting to purchase some prime real estate - Boardwalk.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='fredtoast' post='231858' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:04 PM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='231640' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:13 AM']
I'd imagine the lineup would look like such:

J. Smith - S. Smith - Geathers - Pollack

Arrington - Thurman - Johnson[/quote]

I don't like this at all.

-Pollack will be more effective as aOLB than DE. His strength is his quickness not his strength. He would be a star at OLB, but at DE he would struggle against the run.

-Geathers didn'rt show ANYTHING at DT. He only played there on passing downs, and he never got any pressure on the QB. This just doesn't make any sense.

-Shaun Smith sucks. The Bengals defense was at its absolute worst when Smith was forced into the starting lineup. He wasn't even on the active roster for the playoff game. How the hell is he going to pass Thornton and Robinson on the depth chart?

-Arrington has not matured. In facct he has gotten worse. he didn't even see the playingfield for most of the Redskins games. I know he is a freakish athlete, but why would we wan't a selfish, lazy piece of crap like that on our team.

-Landon Johnson has not shown that he is a decent OLB. He got replaced at MLB by a rookie, and only played part time at OLB last year. When he was playing I never saw him do much of anything.

Let's face it. Our defense stunk last year. Moving the samd players to different positions won't make that much difference.

And NO WAY Arrington signs with Cincinnati. LB is the ONLY position on defense where we don't need help. Why spend all of our money on a position that is already the strength of our defense when we have huge needs at safety, DT, CB, and DE?
[/quote]

Fredtoast, I usually agree with most of your posts. I agree about Pollack and don't think Shaun Smith is great. I also didn't see much out of Geathers at DT and that doesn't make sense to me either.

However, I disagree with many of your points:

-Landon Johnson is our best coverage LB which is very important in a division with Kellen Winslow, Todd Heap and Heath Miller at TE. He is very valuable as a 3rd down linebacker (when pollack can move to DE) and is a good backup who is intelligent and hardworking and can capably fill in as a starter for a few games if needed.

-I think we are looking for another versatile LB/DE type like Pollack so we can blitz effectively without being predictable. We have shown interest in Lavar Arrington and have shown a lot of interest in both Chris Gocong and Bobby Carpenter, who are also cut from this mold.

-Just because we weren't good on D last year doesn't mean we have to start over. Our safety play absolutely killed us, both in the running game and passing game. With improved Safety play and a year of maturity from Pollack and Odell, we aren't exactly starting from scratch. An improved pass rush that would help us get off the field on 3rd down would go a long way in making this D respectable, which with our O is all we need.

-I think we can improve the pass rush by: getting a DT who can get a push up the middle, getting better play at DE from Geathers or a draft pick OR increasing our versatility and getting a better pass rush from our linebackers. Ideally all of these things happen, but any one of the 3 would help immensely.

-Lastly, I have never met Lavar so I can't speak for his intelligence or character. But, Marvin knows him well and if he thinks he can help, I am all for it. Look at how much heat Odell Thurman takes from Marvin. It's not cause he's a bad kid, Marvin is just trying to make him a great player. I think the same thing may be the case with Lavar and Marvin constantly riding him in Washington.

Guest IndianaBengal

You guys remember 2002. Fat fuck Sapp was parading through the other teams warmup or stretch areas. Week after week he did this. Come Redskin week, Lavar said, "he's not walking through our side" or something of that effect. Espn kept replaying it. I thought he was the baddest mofo in the nfl. That would be THE shit if we got him. :bowdown:

IF that deal would transpire (IF!), I would think that clarifies that a DT will be picked up either or both in the 1st Round of the draft and FA...because Robert Geathers is not the answer as a DT, come on...I think Geathers and Fanene would make excellent reserves who can come in and rush the passer...

I would like this front 7 quite a bit:

DE: Pollack
DT: Adams or G. Jackson
DT: 1st Round Pick
DE: J. Smith

OLB: Arrington
MLB: Thurman
OLB: Simmons

Add Madieu, Deltha, Tory and now Dexter Jackson and with key reserves like Geathers, Fanene, Shaun Smith, Landon Johnson, Ratliff and KK...All the pressure will be on because THAT defense better kick some butt or there would have to be the assistant coaching changes some have been calling for...there would be no more excuses with that lineup

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='231883' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:28 PM']IF that deal would transpire (IF!), I would think that clarifies that a DT will be picked up either or both in the 1st Round of the draft and FA...because Robert Geathers is not the answer as a DT, come on...I think Geathers and Fanene would make excellent reserves who can come in and rush the passer...

Add Madieu, Deltha, Tory and now Dexter Jackson and with key reserves like Geathers, Fanene, Shaun Smith, Landon Johnson, Ratliff and KK...All the pressure will be on because THAT defense better kick some butt or there would have to be the assistant coaching changes some have been calling for...there would be no more excuses with that lineup[/quote]
Your projected lineup would also free up a little cash from a Thorton cap hit. Correct? That lineup looks real strong.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='231883' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:28 PM']IF that deal would transpire (IF!), I would think that clarifies that a DT will be picked up either or both in the 1st Round of the draft and FA...because Robert Geathers is not the answer as a DT, come on...I think Geathers and Fanene would make excellent reserves who can come in and rush the passer...

Add Madieu, Deltha, Tory and now Dexter Jackson and with key reserves like Geathers, Fanene, Shaun Smith, Landon Johnson, Ratliff and KK...All the pressure will be on because THAT defense better kick some butt or there would have to be the assistant coaching changes some have been calling for...there would be no more excuses with that lineup[/quote]

If we were to get Arrington I would prefer the move to 3-4 doubt it would happen but you gotta dream sometimes.
DE-J.Smith a little light for DE in 3-4 but I bet he would hold his own
DT-Adams still dreaming a bit doubt there would be enough room to sign him
DE-Rodrique Wright drafted in the second still dreaming :whistle:

OLB-Pollack
MLB-Thurman
MLB-Simmons- I believe he used to play here back in the day
OLB-Arrington

:lmao:

Archived