----- LEVI JONES SIGNED !!!!! -----

Guest fredtoast

[url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CIN/9571138"]http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CIN/9571138[/url]

[quote]Bengals lock up Palmer protector LT Jones
By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

(July 25, 2006) -- Further ensuring that quarterback Carson Palmer's blindside will be protected for seasons to come, the Cincinnati Bengals reached agreement with left tackle Levi Jones on a six-year contract extension worth just over $40 million, sources close to the deal confirmed.

The contract, expected to be signed Tuesday night, will make Jones the game's fourth-highest paid offensive tackle, behind Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace. It includes $16.3 million worth of guaranteed money. But what's important to Cincinnati is that it takes the tackle that protects Palmer's blindside and binds him to the organization for the next six years.

Talks between Jones, his agent Kenny Zuckerman of Priority Sports, and the Bengals have been ongoing for months. They intensified over the weekend, with the Bengals scheduled to open training camp at Georgetown College in Georgetown, Ky., on Saturday. Now Jones can report, knowing that he no longer has to worry about his contract situation and Cincinnati doesn't have to worry about losing one of its best young talents. Jones was entering the last year of his five-year rookie contract that was scheduled to pay him $795,000 this season.

Since the Bengals drafted him in the first round of the 2002 draft, [b]Jones has developed into one of the game's best young tackles[/b] B) , the ideal bookend to Willie Anderson at right tackle. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Jones, who turns 27 next month, started 15 games last season.[/quote]

I just dont think Willie is a priority, thats why they arent discussing it yet because they are too busy with Eric, Levi, and the draft picks...i would be very surprised to see him get a deal before the season is over, but wouldnt be that surprised to see him sign a deal next offseason or even tag him...

its always nice to get that first one done though!! 1 down 1 or 2 more to go!

Guest IndianaBengal

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='300717' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:34 PM']please keep willie! the best leader on the team hands down.[/quote]

Rumble, Hell yeah. If you watch the start of the Bengals at Pitt game last yr, he is the leader. he is hungry. I want Eric too. damm. Willie is an irreplacable leader. This is the yr we get it done anyways so Willie gets his ring this yr. :thumbsup:

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300728' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:40 PM']Rumble, Hell yeah. If you watch the start of the Bengals at Pitt game last yr, he is the leader. he is hungry. I want Eric too. damm. Willie is an irreplacable leader. This is the yr we get it done anyways so Willie gets his ring this yr. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you but Willie will not be re-signed. Hopefully we do get it done and he gets his ring, because he won't be back in 2007.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='300722' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:36 PM']I think they'll start falling in line like dominos.
I think the only thing that has been holding up the draft picks is Levi and Eric's deal.[/quote]

They won't sign until the player in front of them signs. If the player drafted before him gets a great deal his agent will want just a little less. Not to mention the Bengals don't want to overpay. This slot shit sucks. But it's how the draft signing works now. When the player before and after signs and we still haven't signed then we have a holdout.

Guest IndianaBengal
aren't some of you suprised that he went for the 40 mil???? he loves Marvin. and who wouldn't want to protect Carson??

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300728' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:40 PM']Rumble, Hell yeah. If you watch the start of the Bengals at Pitt game last yr, he is the leader. he is hungry. I want Eric too. damm. Willie is an irreplacable leader. This is the yr we get it done anyways so Willie gets his ring this yr. :thumbsup:[/quote]

if you think about it, willie needs to stay. we could replace steinbech with whiteworth. but for willie he's an all star man , and a leader. you can't replace experience. plus he put a lot of sweat and tears into a team that wasn't doing anything for a while that he deserves a superbowl ring, which im confident that we will get under marv.

Guest fredtoast
I don't think Willie or Steiny will be signed until after the end of the season. We still need this season to evaluate Wilkenson and Whitworth. PLus Andrews is still learning to play O-line, so I'd like to have another year to determin how good he can be.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='300724' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:39 PM']have you heard anything regarding steinbachs deal to make you think so bengals1811?[/quote]

not really. Just guessing.

My guess is that Levi and Eric are vying for the same pot of money, so it was a matter of who's agent blinked first. Now that Levi is in the fold, Eric probably knows where he stands.

As far as the rookies, I think the final details of their deals (future bonueses, etc) are just up in the air due to Levi and Eric's pending details.

Al just a hunch though.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='ravonaf' post='300731' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:42 PM']They won't sign until the player in front of them signs. If the player drafted before him gets a great deal his agent will want just a little less. Not to mention the Bengals don't want to overpay. This slot shit sucks. But it's how the draft signing works now. When the player before and after signs and we still haven't signed then we have a holdout.[/quote]

it doesn't always work that way. Case in point, Kamerion Wimbley. We have a good relationship with JJ's agent, and I'm confident a deal will be done by Friday.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='300736' date='Jul 25 2006, 03:45 PM']if you think about it, willie needs to stay. we could replace steinbech with whiteworth. but for willie he's an all star man , and a leader. you can't replace experience. plus he put a lot of sweat and tears into a team that wasn't doing anything for a while that he deserves a superbowl ring, which im confident that we will get under marv.[/quote]

I don't think it's a good idea to pay Willie who is going to be on the downside of his career. Marvin will know if Whitworth or Andrews can play LG or RT, and the Bengals will make their plans afterwards.

LT is the MOST important position on the line. Then it is either RT or C.

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='300739' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:47 PM']are you out of your fucking mind :contract: he's top fucking notch linman dude.[/quote]

he was obviously joking, he even said so himself!

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='300729' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:41 PM']Sorry to disappoint you but Willie will not be re-signed. Hopefully we do get it done and he gets his ring, because he won't be back in 2007.[/quote]

but that is loyalty on the part of the franchise. I hope they do get it done. He suffered through numerous losing seasons. they guy fought for leon. he deserves a lot for that alone. Munoz is the only hof'er we have. willie has played his ass off for a far less talented bunch of shit heads in the pre-Marvin era. give him his due. [b][size=2]I hope he plays for what we offer. cause he won't regret spending his twilight yrs going to the playoffs every yr. [/size] [/b]

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300744' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:50 PM']but that is loyalty on the part of the franchise. I hope they do get it done. He suffered through numerous losing seasons. they guy fought for leon. he deserves a lot for that alone. Munoz is the only hof'er we have. willie has played his ass off for a far less talented bunch of shit heads in the pre-Marvin era. give him his due. [b][size=2]I hope he plays for what we offer. cause he won't regret spending his twilight yrs going to the playoffs every yr. [/size] [/b][/quote]

it would seriously break my heart if i see Big Willie retire in a different uniform than the bengals :(

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300744' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:50 PM']but that is loyalty on the part of the franchise. I hope they do get it done. He suffered through numerous losing seasons. they guy fought for leon. he deserves a lot for that alone. Munoz is the only hof'er we have. willie has played his ass off for a far less talented bunch of shit heads in the pre-Marvin era. give him his due. [b][size=2]I hope he plays for what we offer. cause he won't regret spending his twilight yrs going to the playoffs every yr. [/size] [/b][/quote]

We offered him an extension already. He said it was a slap in the face.

That's the way Marvin and Co. do business- they know the most they are willing to pay, and if it's too low for you, too bad. They don't overpay guys. The NFL is a business, and it would be a bad business decision to pay an older, injury-prone player more than he's worth (he thinks he's worth more than he actually is) just out of loyalty. Marvin understands this.

I love Willie and he has been a great guy, a great team leader in his time in Cincinnati. It will be sad to see him go. But I really don't think he is going to stay.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='300749' date='Jul 25 2006, 02:54 PM']it would seriously break my heart if i see Big Willie retire in a different uniform than the bengals :([/quote]

I totally get what you are saying, but I think he sends somewhat mixed messages....I mean it seems like he has already decided that it isn't going to happen.

[quote]If the Bengals are wondering what to do,” Anderson says, “my advice to them is to go sign the young guys and then see what happens. I’ve already had a big contract. Now it’s their turn. And if they can’t do any more, I know I’m going to be fine and I’ll go off into the sunset.[/quote]

as much as i love willie too, and im his biggest supporter, i don't wanna get screwd signing him either. make it the right price and move forward with it. also, i have no idea how the system works as far as business aspects of it. how are we gonna have money to sign all the rookies. we just resignd cp, cj, levi, bobbie. how does this shit work ? please help me out understand this!

I don't understand how you crazy bastards justify wanting top pay that greedy fuck anderson more money when he can't even practice and workout during the season. His body is on death row. Dead any minute. He won't make it through this season. He can't. He missed some time last year, just never a full game.

Guest IndianaBengal
everyone likes willie. and we all want to tell him to put your heart ahead of your $ flow.(sign w/bengals). but when he sees a young qb get $118 mill, he might start sniffin the green stuff and know that this org. does have the cash to distribute... make you think about, "feeding your children"

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='GoBengals' post='300757' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:59 PM']I don't understand how you crazy bastards justify wanting top pay that greedy fuck anderson more money when he can't even practice and workout during the season. His body is on death row. Dead any minute. He won't make it through this season. He can't. He missed some time last year, just never a full game.[/quote]

i picture him as the kind of player that leaves cincy in 07, gives 2 good yrs to team b, then the shit hits the fan,(healthwise) or he retires. I'm thinking [size=3][color="#3333FF"]2 yr extention [/color] [/size] only.

Archived