Ron Rivera

[quote name='NYbengal' post='442845' date='Feb 19 2007, 02:47 PM']Bears just announced that they would not be bringing back D-Coordinator Ron Rivera. Now seems like a good time to fire Bresnahan and go hard after him.[/quote]

Rivera is not worth it. He can't scheme and relies on good ballplayers to look good. Chicago has better players on D than we do--I think the D would actually take a step backwards with Rivera.

[quote name='Actium' post='442848' date='Feb 19 2007, 03:50 PM']Rivera is not worth it. He can't scheme and relies on good ballplayers to look good. Chicago has better players on D than we do--I think the D would actually take a step backwards with Rivera.[/quote]

Agreed, though I don't think Rivera was so much the beneficiary of great talent so much as he was a shadow of Lovie Smith. The Bengals wouldn't stand to gain much from firing Bresnahan only to sign a guy like Rivera whom runs a very similar defense and will have much less to work with here.

[color="#FF0000"][b]Remember how Marvin brought in Bresnahan as an "defensive advisor or consultant" or whatever,
when Leslie Frazier was still the DC?

When Lewis decided to pull the plug on Frazier, Bresnahan was already in place to be the next
DC. Marvin Lewis could do the same thing with Rivera. If Bresnahan can't improve this defense,
Lewis could replace him with Rivera.

I say go after him.[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='442855' date='Feb 19 2007, 03:58 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Remember how Marvin brought in Bresnahan as an "defensive advisor or consultant" or whatever,
when Leslie Frazier was still the DC?

When Lewis decided to pull the plug on Frazier, Bresnahan was already in place to be the next
DC. Marvin Lewis could do the same thing with Rivera. If Bresnahan can't improve this defense,
Lewis could replace him with Rivera.

I say go after him.[/b][/color][/quote]

I'm sure Rivera, the hottest head coaching candidate on the market, would be happy to come to the Bengals as an assistant tp Chuck Bresnahan.

[quote name='ThorntonMelon' post='442881' date='Feb 19 2007, 04:28 PM']I'm sure Rivera, the hottest head coaching candidate on the market, would be happy to come to the Bengals as an assistant tp Chuck Bresnahan.[/quote]

He was a hot head coaching candidate, but he wasn't tapped for any position and now hasn't even retained his old job. Something is up with this guy. I don't want him here even if he would want to be an assistant DC.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='442885' date='Feb 19 2007, 05:36 PM']You know whats worse than a free agent player thread that we will never have a chance of landing or even attempting to go for?
A free agent coach thread that we will never have a chance of landing or even attempting to go for.[/quote]
x2

[quote name='Actium' post='442848' date='Feb 19 2007, 08:50 PM']Rivera is not worth it. [b]He can't scheme and relies on good ballplayers [/b]to look good. Chicago has better players on D than we do--I think the D would actually take a step backwards with Rivera.[/quote]

He'd be fucked here ^_^

i dont want him here, but thats only because hes going to be a head coach soon, and wed have to hire a new DC again in a year or 2

the bears didnt bring him back because they are cheap, and they dont need a high priced DC when they have all of those players and lovie smith

Guest schotzee
[quote name='GinnDaMan7' post='442919' date='Feb 19 2007, 08:02 PM']Lovie Smith is responsible for the Bears D.
Word is Rivera does not interview well, hence why he has not recieved any head coaching offers.
If this guy can not beat out two retreads like Norv Turner and Wade Phillips for a job, I would rather he not come here.[/quote]

Norv Turner was a coach in the Cowboy's organization before.A very good offensive co-ordinator.Wade Philip's is a very good defensive co-ordinator and some good experience on his resume as a head coach already.Took the Bills to the playoffs 2 of his three seasons as a head coach,so Rivera was hardly beaten out by scrubs imo.Rivera was an important ingredient in the success of the Eagles D when he was LB coach.The man would definitely be a step up from Bres.Bring him in I say.

[quote name='starkesn' post='442987' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:19 PM']Rivera just accepted the job as linebackers coach with the Chargers.[/quote]

With Ted Cottrell and Ron Rivera SD's defense will surely improve next season.

I just don't understand what all happened with this guy. I mean, he went from being on the short list of "next great head coach" possibilities to effectively being fired by the Bears and taking a LINEBACKERS job with San Diego in a matter of a day. There has to be something about this guy that isn't getting out to the press. I mean, it's pretty evident he didn't even think he had a chance at a job even remotely similar to his DC role in Chicago if he jumped on the first offer he got.

Guest Yojimbo

[quote name='NYbengal' post='442845' date='Feb 19 2007, 03:47 PM']Bears just announced that they would not be bringing back D-Coordinator Ron Rivera. Now seems like a good time to fire Bresnahan and go hard after him.[/quote]

Isnt he the QB that is really supposed to be Mike Vick on that video game?

^_^

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Patmo' post='442976' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:46 PM']Lovie knows something that we don't.Pass ![/quote]

I'd have to agree here. If the team that knows him best doesn't want him back, and the half dozen teams that have interviewed him don't want him, something's up. At the very least, his head has gotten too big for him to get/keep a job. At worst, he's not qualified for these jobs. Either way, do we really want him? Do you want an ego case clashing with Marvin?

[quote name='mongoloido' post='443062' date='Feb 20 2007, 08:27 AM']I'd have to agree here. If the team that knows him best doesn't want him back, and the half dozen teams that have interviewed him don't want him, something's up. At the very least, his head has gotten too big for him to get/keep a job. At worst, he's not qualified for these jobs. Either way, do we really want him? Do you want an ego case clashing with Marvin?[/quote]

I read where Lovie was quoted as saying that Rivera wanted to go in one direction, and Lovie wanted to go in another. That's as specific as he got.

I think the "handshake agreement" was that Lovie would do all he could to help Rivera get a HC job, because chances were that he wouldn't return as DC, since his contract was up after the SB this year. When he didn't get it (Like GinnDaMan, I've read that he supposedly doesn't interview well), it was time for him to move on.

When Norv Turner interviewed for the Dallas HC job, he reportedly put as one of the conditions that Rivera would be the DC. Which was interesting, because Rivera was also interviewing for the HC job in Dallas. When Turner got the HC job in SD, he hired Cottrell as DC right away. I would have thought he'd look to get Rivera, but maybe he didn't want to wait. Well, he got him anyway, but as position coach.

I think Turner will do a good job with the offense in SD. He's a great QB teacher, so I'm sure that Rivers will continue to develop. He's got some good defensive coaches now, too. He'll be under a lot of pressure to produce, with a 14-2 team with the key pieces intact.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='443114' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:16 PM']Ron Rivera was interviewed by all these teams so they could meet the criteria of interviewing at least one minority candidate thus avoiding a hefty fine.[/quote]

Seems as if did get used doesnt it?

[quote name='texbengal' post='443065' date='Feb 20 2007, 09:44 AM']I read where Lovie was quoted as saying that Rivera wanted to go in one direction, and Lovie wanted to go in another. That's as specific as he got.

I think the "handshake agreement" was that Lovie would do all he could to help Rivera get a HC job, because chances were that he wouldn't return as DC, since his contract was up after the SB this year. When he didn't get it (Like GinnDaMan, I've read that he supposedly doesn't interview well), it was time for him to move on.

When Norv Turner interviewed for the Dallas HC job, he reportedly put as one of the conditions that Rivera would be the DC. Which was interesting, because Rivera was also interviewing for the HC job in Dallas. When Turner got the HC job in SD, he hired Cottrell as DC right away. I would have thought he'd look to get Rivera, but maybe he didn't want to wait. Well, he got him anyway, but as position coach.

I think Turner will do a good job with the offense in SD. He's a great QB teacher, so I'm sure that Rivers will continue to develop. He's got some good defensive coaches now, too. He'll be under a lot of pressure to produce, with a 14-2 team with the key pieces intact.[/quote]

Turner is a good QB teacher when he doesnt have to be the Head Coach, otherwise he's not. Just ask Heath Schueler. LT should have a monster year again though as Turner loves the running game. I dont think Turner is a good Head Coach however, a good OC, but not a good HC.

Archived