C.Palmer INT's stats...Worried?

Carson palmer.

2005: 12
2006: 13
2007: 20

I dont know what was up with carson but i for one am definitely worried about his future.
He's our QB and this isnt a Trade Palmer thread.

As soon as watched him in his first pre-season game he just didnt look right. Not as accurate. I think we all saw it, but blew it off for pre-season jitters.

Will C.Palmer ever be the C.Palmer of 2005 again?

Im not so sure right now.

Especially after checking out these stats.

SACKS---aka pressure

2005: 19
2006: 36
2007: [b]17[/b]

Less sacks means less pressure. However i would agree he got away from sacks much better this season. But with less pressure he did worse.

I'm worried we may never see the C.P we all know and love again. :mellow:

I think this year he was throwing the ball hastily to [b]avoid[/b] being sacked, which contributed to the low sacks and high interceptions.

A low sack total doesn't always = great protection... :shrug:

I still think they need a better center, and whether that means EG improving or a new one, I don't know...

it was a bad year for him, no doubt, but it was also a bad year for chad and he did not have a real 3rd option at any point this year. adding all of that up along with no running game, less pass rushing pressure because theres now an extra man or two in the secondary, and being force to throw at any and every opportunity while playing from behind certainly caused more than its fair share of turnovers.

to be honest, im surprised he only had 20. he could have quite easily had 30.

yeah..lack of run game hurt for sure. Takes away play action and kills the deep threat ball. Teams knew they could stop us without having to bring up any safties.

Timing was off with chad..as noted in another thread. A lot of tipped passes by our recievers picked off by the other team. He did have stretches though, against better pass rushing teams where he was throwing the ball high..such as the steelers game. He tried to force a lot of throws to t.j. as well.

I'm really not worried. He just needs to not focus on one reciever so much and maybe get timing down with chad..if chad wants to stay in town.

I'm not worried....yet.
There were a lot of real obstacles this season to Palmer's success, as already detailed by the others.
Still, some of the throws that Palmer was sailing were concerning, as were some of the INT's that you couldn't blame on anyone but Carson...but these things happen.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='619167' date='Jan 5 2008, 11:51 AM']I think this year he was throwing the ball hastily to [b]avoid[/b] being sacked, which contributed to the low sacks and high interceptions.

A low sack total doesn't always = great protection... :shrug:

I still think they need a better center, and whether that means EG improving or a new one, I don't know...[/quote]

This.

i hope you guys are right.

The bengals just looked like shit all year.

So basically we need a running game and an Defense. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

PS.

Some of you mentioned the patriots. If C.Palmer is as good as tom brady like we all think.
Why couldnt the bengals pass almost every down like the patriots do and have the same success?

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='619196' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:19 PM']i hope you guys are right.

The bengals just looked like shit all year.

So basically we need a running game and an Defense. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

PS.

Some of you mentioned the patriots. If C.Palmer is as good as tom brady like we all think.
Why couldnt the bengals pass almost every down like the patriots do and have the same success?[/quote]

umm the patriots have a better o-line, better pass catching TE's, a better RB, and a deeper WR corp. Its easy to go 5-wide when Kelley Washington (not a bad WR) is your 5th option on the play.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='619204' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:43 PM']umm the patriots have a better o-line, better pass catching TE's, a better RB, and a deeper WR corp. Its easy to go 5-wide when Kelley Washington (not a bad WR) is your 5th option on the play.[/quote]

And a better offensive coordinator.

Let us not forget that he was constantly having to come from behind and was constantly trying to "thread the needle" with a lot of his passes. Nah, I think once we get everyone healthy and have that 3rd receiver again he'll be alright.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='619174' date='Jan 5 2008, 12:06 PM']Not worried at all about Palmer.[/quote]

Neither am I.

Favre threw 29 in 2005...21 in 2003...23 in 1998 and 1999...and 24 in 1993

And has always bounced back with better seasons.

I believe Carson will be OK

Brett Favre has thrown 21 or more INT's five times in his career. Peyton Manning has thrown 19 or more three times in his career. Dan Marino threw 20 or more four times in his career. Point is...no matter who you are, no matter how good...if you put the ball in the air enough times, the bad guys are simply gonna get their hands on their fair share of them. It's the nature of the beast so to speak.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='619178' date='Jan 5 2008, 12:17 PM']IMO, lack of running game. We shouldn't be throwing that much. I mean geesh, Carson only threw the ball 3 less times than Tom Brady, and the Patriots didn't even TRY to run the ball.[/quote]

I agree. Our game relies on balance. The passing game relies on a solid running game and vice versa.

[quote name='spicoli' post='619281' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:22 PM']Brett Favre has thrown 21 or more INT's five times in his career. Peyton Manning has thrown 19 or more three times in his career. Dan Marino threw 20 or more four times in his career. Point is...no matter who you are, no matter how good...if you put the ball in the air enough times, the bad guys are simply gonna get their hands on their fair share of them. It's the nature of the beast so to speak.[/quote]

The running game is the reason cited why Green Bay looks good this year by everyone. They are more balanced.

Anyone who claims Carson had less pressure this season than any of his other seasons obviously doesn't live locally and has to follow the games on NFL gamecast, or they are the type of fan who is there for the pizza and food, and socializing, and not watching the game.

Carson was under heavy pressure this season. More than any of his past seasons.

Stacy Andrews is not the answer. And neither is Ghiachuck.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='619219' date='Jan 5 2008, 02:44 PM']Let us not forget that he was constantly having to come from behind and was constantly trying to "thread the needle" with a lot of his passes.[/quote]

I think that's much of it, along with not much of a running game, no Henry first half, rusty Henry second half, trying to overcompensate for a suckass D, no TE or RB's for options to throw to. Combine all that with a lot of drops by receivers, possibly wrong routes being ran, an O-line constantly being shuffled, a Pro Bowl RT out most of the year, a formerly VERY good LT struggling the first half, the absence of Steinbach, the struggles of Ghiaciuc.

Yeah, his accuracy and decision making was also below what we've come to expect, but I'm not worried about him.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='619298' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:52 PM']I think that's much of it, along with not much of a running game, no Henry first half, rusty Henry second half, trying to overcompensate for a suckass D, no TE or RB's for options to throw to. Combine all that with a lot of drops by receivers, possibly wrong routes being ran, an O-line constantly being shuffled, a Pro Bowl RT out most of the year, a formerly VERY good LT struggling the first half, the absence of Steinbach, the struggles of Ghiaciuc.

Yeah, his accuracy and decision making was also below what we've come to expect, but I'm not worried about him.[/quote]

That little snippet you just wrote sums up our whole season. I don't think anyone could put it better and be as concise! :thumbsup:

Sacks do not equal pressure. Pressure equals pressure; Carson, unfortunately, has become very adept at getting rid of the ball quickly. Saves sacks, but means less accuracy, more interceptions, inability to get through his reads. Look how Brady is able to stand up in the pocket, then move *up* in the pocket and step into throws as the tackles funnel rushers upfield. Too often this year, Carson finishes his drop and must immediately get rid of the ball, or can't get a good drive and follow through because the pocket is collapsing in front of him. It's not a coincidence that the NFL's two best passing offenses have two very solid guys at the center position. Don't forget to add in the fact that Carson is still attempting higher degree of difficulty passes than just about anyone (the classic deep out is probably more than forty yards through the air, to a tight spot on the sideline where Chad is in a triangle of defenders).

[quote name='BklynBngl' post='619304' date='Jan 5 2008, 06:06 PM']Sacks do not equal pressure. Pressure equals pressure; Carson, unfortunately, has become very adept at getting rid of the ball quickly. Saves sacks, but means less accuracy, more interceptions, inability to get through his reads. Look how Brady is able to stand up in the pocket, then move *up* in the pocket and step into throws as the tackles funnel rushers upfield. Too often this year, Carson finishes his drop and must immediately get rid of the ball, or can't get a good drive and follow through because the pocket is collapsing in front of him. It's not a coincidence that the NFL's two best passing offenses have two very solid guys at the center position.[/quote]

...true. -_-

Archived