!!! THE OFFICIAL GO-BENGALS.COM 2008 NFL DRAFT THREAD !!!

Here's to hoping that this draft is the draft that puts
this team over the hump and they are perennial contenders
that goes on to becoming a DYNASTY !!!! :1062: :party: :gobengals: :icon15:

[size=7][color="#FF8C00"]WHO[/color]-[b]DEY !!!! [/b][/size]

[img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2104/buttheadmd4.gif[/img][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3747/beavisps5.gif[/img]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='657445' date='Apr 26 2008, 08:09 AM']Here's to hoping that this draft is the draft that puts
this team over the hump and they are perrenial contenders

[img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2104/buttheadmd4.gif[/img][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3747/beavisps5.gif[/img][/quote]

Now it's official!! Solid work Old.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='657453' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:13 AM']You can watch the NFL Networks coverage of the draft on your computer . . .

[url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/live"]http://www.nfl.com/draft/live[/url]

Also, ESPN News is going to be covering all the AFC North teams at 10 o'clock Eastern time.[/quote]

I'll be watching. Thanks OldSchooler.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' post='657447' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:10 AM']Now it's official!! Solid work Old.[/quote]

Notice I made the thread at 9:09 Eastern time ? :whistle:

I'm so nervous and excited ! :quiver:

[quote name='Rick' post='657450' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:12 AM']Let's Go Bengals, Let's Go Bengals, Let's Go Bengals,...[/quote]

[img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2104/buttheadmd4.gif[/img][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3747/beavisps5.gif[/img]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='657445' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:09 AM']Here's to hoping that this draft is the draft that puts
this team over the hump and they are perennial contenders

[img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2104/buttheadmd4.gif[/img][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3747/beavisps5.gif[/img][/quote]

[size=5][color="#FF8C00"]HELL YEAH!!!

WHO DEY!!![/color][/size]

:party: :1287: :1062: :2rave: :gobengals: :tailgate: :Stlrssuck: :rockon: :headbang:

[quote][size=5][b]NFL Draft Facts[/b][/size]

By Staff report

Saturday, April 26, 2008

[b]When:[/b] Today and Sunday at Radio City Music Hall, New York City

[b]Today:[/b] Rounds 1 (10 minutes between picks) and 2 (Seven minutes between picks)

[b]TV:[/b] 3 p.m. ESPN; 8 p.m. ESPN2

[b]Sunday[/b]

Rounds 3 through 7 (Five minutes between picks)

[b]TV:[/b] 10 a.m. ESPN

[b]Bengals and Browns[/b]

The Bengals have 10 picks, but barring trades, only two of them are today (Nos. 9 and 46). That's better than the Browns, who don't pick until Sunday. :pointlaff:[/quote]

[quote name='VonBlade' post='657463' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:23 AM']If we don't draft D with our first two picks I'm gonna be mighty unhappy.

Ok, I'm bipolar so I'm nearly always mightily unhappy, but that's not the point :)[/quote]

If we get Ellis in 1, don't be surprised if we go WR in 2.

[quote][size=5][b]Trojans in team's sights[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]RBs also likely to figure into Bengals' plans[/b][/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Finally, after months of building up more hype than the presidential primaries, the NFL Draft will begin today.

The Bengals, barring a trade of course, will have the ninth pick in the first round.

"I'm hoping when we step up and pick at nine, the value and the match are there," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said this week.

Most of the media attention for the ninth pick has focused on a pair of Southern California defensive stars, tackle Sedrick Ellis and linebacker Keith Rivers. One of them is expected to be available when the Bengals announce their selection, expected to occur about 4:20 p.m.

The NFL has changed the draft structure this year. Round 3 was moved to Sunday morning, beginning at 10.

Only Rounds 1 and 2 will be held today, beginning at 3 p.m., and they will be streamlined. Teams will have 10 minutes to make their pick in the first round, compared to 15 minutes in recent years, and just seven minutes in Round 2. They will have only five minutes in Rounds 3-7.

The Bengals also like a pair of running backs, Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall and Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, as potential first-round picks. Of available offensive tackles, the Bengals like Boise State's Ryan Clady. Two defensive ends are on the club's radar, Virginia's Chris Long (expected to be gone) and Florida's Derrick Harvey.

The Bengals will have one other scheduled pick today, in the second round, at No. 46. Some players who interest the team and could be there are receivers Malcolm Kelly of Oklahoma, Mario Manningham of Michigan and James Hardy of Indiana, as well as Auburn defensive end/linebacker Quentin Groves and Penn State cornerback Justin King.

A trade is possible but not likely for the Bengals, who will have eight picks Sunday.

"You're always going to listen," Lewis said. "We're going to be careful not to become too cute and move away from the guy we really want.

"If somebody we feel good about can come in right away and line up in the early part of the season and play productive football for us, we're not going to say, 'Well, maybe if we back up we can get this guy and that guy.'"

• Bengals: Will have 10 picks. Teams have 10 minutes to make their picks in Round 1, and if each of the eight teams picking ahead of the Bengals takes all 10 minutes, [b]the Bengals will select around 4:20 p.m.[/b]

[b]Round Rnd pick Overall Type [/b]
1 9 9 Original
2 15 46 Original
3 14 77 Original
3 34 97 Compensatory
4 13 112 Original
5 12 145 Original
6 11 177 Original
6 41 207 Compensatory
7 37 244 Compensatory
7 39 246 Compensatory[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/SPT02/804260393/1066/rss07"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0393/1066/rss07[/url]

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='657471' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:35 AM']We doing a chatroom?

This thread is going to get ridiculously long in an hour or two.[/quote]

Wasn't there one draft thread, and then separate ones for each Bengal pick?

Anyway, it'll be a fun day... and it's great that it starts later... in the past, I didn't get much done during the day, so at least typical Saturday stuff (errands, yard work, gym, etc.) get done beforehand.

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals don't want to get too cute in draft[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Lewis says team will weigh offers today, but can't stray from a player it really wants.[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Saturday, April 26, 2008

CINCINNATI — Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't reveal any names, but he has his sights set on a special somebody with the ninth overall pick in the NFL draft, which unfolds today, April 26, and Sunday.

"You're always going to listen (to trade offers)," Lewis said. "But we're going to be careful not to become too cute and move away from the guy we really want.

"So somebody we feel good about that can come in here right away and be able to line up in the early part of the season and play productive football for us, we're not going to say, 'Well, maybe if we backed up, we could get this guy or that guy.' I'm going to be reluctant to advise us to do that."

[b]Scrambling after early-round injuries[/b]

Injuries to a pair of first rounders — tailback Chris Perry (2004) and outside linebacker David Pollack (2005) — forced the Bengals to scramble for replacements in recent years.

Who can forget the musical chairs at linebacker in 2007 when injuries to Ahmad Brooks, Lemar Marshall, Rashad Jeanty and Caleb Miller caused the club to sign Dhani Jones and Anthony Schlegel and move end Robert Geathers to strong-side linebacker for four games?

Ten draft picks this weekend — one per round, plus an extra pick in each of the third, sixth and seventh rounds — should yield a mix of impact players and depth.

"We need to make up some ground," Lewis said. "We've had some unfortunate injuries to some guys that were high picks, and we need to overcome that.

"We've done a good job of scouring and finding some guys who like football, but we still want to raise that talent level. It's important that we do that this time. We need to hit on some guys at the end of this draft as well."

[b]Lewis mentions needs on lines, at skill spots[/b]

"We're going to address our needs up front, offensively and defensively," Lewis said. "We'll look very hard at skill positions and continue to gain young guys there with talent and ability. In this draft, there is some depth in those spots. So that's good for us.

"Yes, I said skill spots — running back, wide receiver, linebacker and defensive back. Those are areas we will address."

[b]Plenty of movement likely this weekend[/b]

NFL fans can expect plenty of trades.

"This is going to be a draft where there's going to be a lot of movement," Lewis said, "because after the first few players, there's going to be a lot of different opinions of how teams have players viewed and graded."

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com[/quote]

[quote name='unleashed' post='657480' date='Apr 26 2008, 08:00 AM']Does anyone know if NFL network is gonna be broadcasting live like ESPN?[/quote]

Yes they are. They are going to stream it LIVE over the interweb too.
(see link posted above) The LIVE feed starts at 2:30 EST time.

[quote][size=5][b]Goodell ruins NFL draft before it even starts[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Saturday, April 26, 2008, 08:55 AM

[b]I NEED AN INFLATABLE BED[/b]

[b]===LUDWIG AT LARGE ALERT: 63 players will be drafted today, Saturday, April 26, and 192 players will be drafted on Sunday, April 27. If each team takes its allotted 5 minutes between picks on Sunday, DAY 2 OF THE DRAFT WILL LAST 16 HOURS!!! Thanks, commish, for ruining the draft before it even starts=== [/b] :wuhh: :cripes:

Would anybody have a spare inflatable bed they could loan me?

You know, one of those air-mattress deals that inflate from briefcase size into a queen-sized bed?

I sure could use one to help with my coverage of the 2008 NFL Draft.

[b]MIGHT AS WELL SLEEP AT PBS[/b]

Today, Saturday, April 26, is going to be a long day and a late night, and Sunday, April 27, is going to be an even longer day and later night.

With an inflatable bed, I could sleep in the press room at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati tonight.

By the time I get done writing, it’ll only be a matter of 7-8 hours when I have to report for work again on Sunday. I live 54 miles door-to-door from PBS. Heck. I might as well sleep at the dawg-gone facility.

Who do we have to thank for this honor?

[b]2008 DRAFT FORMAT STINKS[/b]

None other than the genius that is NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who ruined the 2008 NFL draft before it even started by changing the format.

Goodell’s philosophy: If it ain’t broke, BREAK IT! (He must’ve read Rick Pitino’s book, too.)

The NFL Draft used to start at noon on Saturday (with three rounds) and 11 a.m. on Sunday (with four rounds).

Teams USED TO HAVE 15 minutes to choose their first-round picks.

But nooo! Not now!

[b]TWO LONG DAYS & NIGHTS[/b]

Starting this year, teams are limited to 10 minutes between picks in the first round and seven minutes between picks in the second round. In Rounds 3-7 on Sunday, teams have five minutes between selections.

My St. Williams, Elder High School and Ohio State University math tells me that If each team takes its allotted 5 minutes between picks on Sunday, DAY 2 OF THE DRAFT WILL LAST 16 HOURS!!!

“With the later start on Saturday with the two rounds, it’ll probably be quite a late day on Saturday, and then a longer day on Sunday,” Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

Dude! You got that right!

Of all the years teams need 15 minutes between first-round picks, because of all the anticipated trades, THIS IS THAT YEAR!!!

[b]DRAFTNIKS WILL BURN OUT[/b]

I’m convinced that in a previous life, Roger Goodell was captain of the Titanic. He’s in charge of a mighty league, and he’s certain it won’t sink. Trouble is, he’s on a collision course with an iceberg and there’s not enough rescue boats to save all the passengers.

Seems to me that Goodell’s only goal is to accommodate his precious, beleaguered NFL Network. He has absolutely no empathy for NFL fans, NFL coaches & personnel departments, and us —- the print and electronic media. We are the lowest priority on his totem pole.

Bet ya any money that the staunchest NFL draftnik will be completely burned out by the time this draft ends.

I hope the draft lasts until midnight Sunday just to make Goodell look foolish.

[b]CINCINNATI BENGALS FIRST-ROUND DRAFT PICKS (Since 2000)[/b]

2000 — WR Peter Warrick (No. 4): Played 5 seasons; terminated on Aug. 30, 2005.

2001 — DE Justin Smith (No. 4): Played 7 years; signed by 49ers on March 1, 2008.

2002 — OT Levi Jones (No. 10): Signed 6-year, $40 million extension through 2011.

2003 — QB Carson Palmer (No. 1): Signed deal worth $118.75 million through 2014.

2004 — TB Chris Perry (No. 26): Endured injury-marred career; signed through 2009.

2005 — LB David Pollack (No. 17): Neck injury in ‘06 ended career; played 16 games.

2006 — CB Johnathan Joseph (24): With 23 starts in 31 games, he’s club’s top LCB.

2007 — CB Leon Hall (No. 18): Started 10 games; tied club rookie record with 5 INTs.

[b]BENGALS PRO BOWLERS DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI

NOTE: [/b]Cincinnati has drafted 31 players who reached the Pro Bowl as members of the Bengals. Only seven were first-round picks.

Player-Selections-Years (Draft class/round picked)

OT Anthony Munoz-11 (1980/1st)

CB Lemar Parrish-6 (1970/7th)

WR Chad Johnson-5 (2001/2nd)

OT Willie Anderson-4 (1996/1st)

QB Ken Anderson-4 (1971/3rd)

WR Isaac Curtis-4 (1973/1st)

TE Bob Trumpy-4 (1968/12th)

S Tommy Casanova-3 (1972/2nd)

WR Cris Collinsworth-3 (1981/2nd)

TB Corey Dillon-3 (1997/2nd)

QB Boomer Esiason-3 (1984/2nd)

S David Fulcher-3 (1986/3rd)

TE Rodney Holman-3 (1982/3rd)

OG Max Montoya-3 (1979/7th)

QB Carson Palmer-2-2005-06 (2003/1st)

DT Tim Krumrie-2 (1983/10th)

WR Carl Pickens-2 (1992/2nd)

DT Mike Reid-2 (1970/1st)

TB Paul Robinson-2 (1968/3rd)

WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh-1 (2001/7th)

TB Rudi Johnson-1 (2001/4th)

LB Bill Bergey-1 (1969/2nd)

WR Eddie Brown-1 (1985/1st)

TB Harold Green-1 (1990/2nd)

C Bob Johnson-1 (1968/1st)

FB Pete Johnson-1 (1977/2nd)

LB Jim LeClair-1 (1972/3rd)

KR Tremain Mack-1 (1997/4th)

P Pat McInally-1 (1975/5th)

TE Dan Ross-1 (1979/2nd)

CB Eric Thomas-1 (1987/2nd)[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte...on/chickludwig/[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals put out sign: Pass rushers wanted[/b][/size]
Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:57 AM
By Scott Priestle

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI -- Marvin White will be watching intently today when the Bengals make their first pick of the NFL draft. As rookies last season, White, Leon Hall and Dublin native Chinedum Ndukwe played their way into prominent roles in the defensive backfield. As second-year players, they can use some help.

"It just makes your job a whole lot easier if you get pressure on the quarterback," White said. "Look at the New York Giants. They put so much pressure on the quarterback in the Super Bowl, the DBs really didn't have to cover too long. That allows you to make plays in the secondary. It all starts up front."

The Bengals had the weakest pass rush in the NFL last season. They signed free-agent defensive end Antwan Odom to play opposite Robert Geathers, and they are expected to target another defensive lineman or outside linebacker with their top pick, No. 9 overall.

Sedrick Ellis, a defensive tackle from Southern California, is believed to be their first choice. If he is off the board, expect the Bengals to look at USC linebacker Keith Rivers or Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling, each of whom could fill a role as a rookie.

The Bengals have 10 picks in all, including two in the third round, so they should be able to bolster their depth at numerous positions, including the offensive line and receiver. But their most-pressing need, as it has been for much of Marvin Lewis's tenure as coach, is for help along the front wall of the defense.

"It changes the game a whole lot," White said. "If you only have to cover your guy for two or three seconds, you can anticipate the route that's coming. If you've got a great D-line, that's going to make your secondary great. Everybody knows that. That's a key to a great defense."

New defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said he is looking for players who take instruction well and play with a consistently high effort. Experience and pedigree are not necessary. With Dallas in 2002, Zimmer started two rookies in the defensive backfield, and in 2005 he started three along the front.

"I like tough, passionate guys who do what you ask them to do," he said. "There are several guys that come to mind -- the Darren Woodsons and Dat Nguyens and the Dexter Coakleys. They come in all different shapes and sizes. Terrence Newman, he's another one of those guys, and DeMarcus Ware. Those are good players. But there are good guys like Brandon Noble -- he wasn't a good athlete or a great name, but he did exactly what you asked him to do.

"Character-wise, those are the kind of guys you're looking for, guys who want to give 100 percent every time you go out for practice, and then hopefully they meet the requirements of height, weight, speed, that stuff."

spriestle@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/04/26/nfl_draft_bengals26.ART_ART_04-26-08_C3_5DA1M2M.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...at=&sid=101[/url]

Archived