Something I've always wondered

I was reading the article about Flacco and someone said something like he saw him throw the ball 72 yards or something like that. I've always wondered, to keep it Bengal related, how far can Carson throw a football? I know he passed for 66 yards on that play where he got his kneee busted up, but if he really put his ass behind it how far could he throw a football? I'm really just interested in how far an NFL QB can throw the ball but kept it with Carson for this forum. So, in general......
MULLY
just curious really

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='695634' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:45 AM']I was reading the article about Flacco and someone said something like he saw him throw the ball 72 yards or something like that. I've always wondered, to keep it Bengal related, how far can Carson throw a football? I know he passed for 66 yards on that play where he got his kneee busted up, but if he really put his ass behind it how far could he throw a football? I'm really just interested in how far an NFL QB can throw the ball but kept it with Carson for this forum. So, in general......
MULLY
just curious really[/quote]

Couldn't tell you, but I am willing to wager that Palmer's deep ball is a heck of a lot more accurate than most, especially Joe Flaccid.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='695634' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:45 AM']I was reading the article about Flacco and someone said something like he saw him throw the ball 72 yards or something like that. I've always wondered, to keep it Bengal related, how far can Carson throw a football? [b]I know he passed for 66 yards on that play where he got his kneee busted up[/b], but if he really put his ass behind it how far could he throw a football? I'm really just interested in how far an NFL QB can throw the ball but kept it with Carson for this forum. So, in general......
MULLY

actually, that one was only about 45yds in the air. Damn you for making me watch the youtube video to check for myself. <_<

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='695634' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:45 AM']I was reading the article about Flacco and someone said something like he saw him throw the ball 72 yards or something like that. I've always wondered, to keep it Bengal related, how far can Carson throw a football? I know he passed for 66 yards on that play where he got his kneee busted up, but if he really put his ass behind it how far could he throw a football? I'm really just interested in how far an NFL QB can throw the ball but kept it with Carson for this forum. So, in general......
MULLY

And, Flacco's was at the College QB Skills Competition on ESPN... all he had to do was land it between two barriers like 10-15 yards apart. It wasn't like it even had to be where someone could catch it.

I was bored that day on the treadmill and watched it. He can fling a football , but unless it is catchable its irrelevant.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='695662' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:11 AM']And, Flacco's was at the College QB Skills Competition on ESPN... all he had to do was land it between two barriers like 10-15 yards apart. It wasn't like it even had to be where someone could catch it.

I was bored that day on the treadmill and watched it. He can fling a football , but unless it is catchable its irrelevant.[/quote]

JP Lossman,Buffalo , QB ,could thtow the ball 50 yds on his knees. Great arm but little impact as a NFL QB.

[quote name='Tigris' post='695659' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:04 AM']Did Leftwich win that? I remember Carson throwing but can't remember how he did.[/quote]

I watched it that year and I know that Carson won the competition, but I believe they both threw it 75 yards on the first throw and they had a "throw off" and I believe Carson threw it like 71 yards on the next throw and Leftwich couldn't crack 70 yards on the last one, so Carson won at that point. I remember because everyone expected Leftwich to win and our boy did instead.

Have you ever seen the Poweraid commercial with Mike Vick? Ya know- the one where he throws the ball OUT of the stadium...

Yeah, Carson, throws it further.

The first time I caught a Carson Palmer pass- I had to go to the hospital to get a skin graft- suffered 2nd degree burn equivalent.

The guy is a monster.

He can throw it 84 yards- LAYING ON HIS BACK.

cannon!

[quote name='TigerCub' post='695717' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:45 AM']I watched it that year and I know that Carson won the competition, but I believe they both threw it 75 yards on the first throw and they had a "throw off" and I believe Carson threw it like 71 yards on the next throw and Leftwich couldn't crack 70 yards on the last one, so Carson won at that point. I remember because everyone expected Leftwich to win and our boy did instead.[/quote]
I remember that pretty clear. They both threw it 65 and tied. Carson threw his next one 63 and Fatwich didn't land his between the hash marks so Carson won it. I also remember Boomer saying that during a game, when the juices are flowing, most NFL quaterbacks can throw it 75.

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' post='695637' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:23 AM']But can he make it through the uprights from his knees at the 50 yard line, that is what defines a future hall of fame QB[/quote]

:rofl:

That brings up some funny memories of the Leftwich vs. Palmer threads from years ago.

:lol:

[quote name='Francisco' post='695730' date='Sep 5 2008, 11:43 AM']Have you ever seen the Poweraid commercial with Mike Vick? Ya know- the one where he throws the ball OUT of the stadium...

Yeah, Carson, throws it further.

The first time I caught a Carson Palmer pass- I had to go to the hospital to get a skin graft- suffered 2nd degree burn equivalent.

The guy is a monster.

He can throw it 84 yards- LAYING ON HIS BACK.

cannon![/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Enon Bengal' post='695748' date='Sep 5 2008, 11:46 AM']I remember that pretty clear. They both threw it 65 and tied. Carson threw his next one 63 and Fatwich didn't land his between the hash marks so Carson won it. I also remember Boomer saying that during a game, when the juices are flowing, most NFL quaterbacks can throw it 75.[/quote]

I know Brady doesn't have a very strong arm, but in the Super Bowl the penultimate pass to Randy Moss probably was what, 70 yards or more in the air, and was pretty dead on accurate. A great Defensive play by the Giants stopped what would have been unthinkable.

See at 6:25 mark:

[quote name='Actium' post='695857' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:06 PM']I know Brady doesn't have a very strong arm, but in the Super Bowl the penultimate pass to Randy Moss probably was what, [b]70 yards or more in the air[/b], and was pretty dead on accurate. A great Defensive play by the Giants stopped what would have been unthinkable.

[/quote]

looks about 66yds. Still a hell of a throw.

[quote name='Actium' post='695857' date='Sep 5 2008, 04:06 PM']I know Brady doesn't have a very strong arm, but in the Super Bowl the penultimate pass to Randy Moss probably was what, 70 yards or more in the air, and was pretty dead on accurate. A great Defensive play by the Giants stopped what would have been unthinkable.

[/quote]

Brady may not have had a strong arm in college, but he has a hell of an arm now...

Won't claim it for the truth because it was well after the fact and it'd been 30 years since I read it.... but.... I once read that Greg Cook (pre injury) could stand on the goal line on one end of the field and put the ball on the fly into the other endzone.

That got me thinking about Greg today so I Goggle'd him and read stories about him from those associated with the Bengals at the time. One with Bill Walsh said without Cook being injured he'd probably have never developed the "West Coast" offense (With Kenny Anderson) but would have stayed with the "fling it deep" style of play.

Also makes me wonder if PB had named Walsh his successor instead of Tiger Johnson how history would now read regarding the Bengals.

Archived