Bill of all guys?!

did anyone else just see bill cowhead just call us a playoff team next year?!

Of ALL PEOPLE.

Guys this upcoming season is a long ways away, but im beginning to have good feelings about it..

he made good points like with 12th ranked defense and a healthy carson palmer that we should be good to go..

:D B)

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='737500' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:40 PM']:o i couldn't believe what i was hearing!!! we need to find a link to post this on here.[/quote]

no doubt. i have a cell phone video i sent to all the doubters ;)
but thats all i got haha

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='737500' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:40 PM']:o i couldn't believe what i was hearing!!! we need to find a link to post this on here.[/quote]

He, more than most of the other commentators, know exactly what the Bengals have as far as talent is concerned and what the team has missed with all the injuries this year. He knows the Bengals had a tough schedule and that next year's schedule is much easier. It will be interesting to see what happens this off season and see what kind of team the Bengals field next year opening day.

[quote name='cincity' post='737508' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:52 PM']He, more than most of the other commentators, know exactly what the Bengals have as far as talent is concerned and what the team has missed with all the injuries this year. He knows the Bengals had a tough schedule and that next year's schedule is much easier. It will be interesting to see what happens this off season and see what kind of team the Bengals field next year opening day.[/quote]

My guess would be he probably follows football more than a lot of those guys. He also probably ha a much better feel for what this team is like with Carson under center.

I didn't watch the CBS pre-game show. What was the context of the prediction (i.e. were they talking about potential surprise or turn around teams, or was it just who they thought would make the playoffs next year) and what, as close as you can remember, were his exact words?

[quote name='Jason' post='737516' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:20 PM']I didn't watch the CBS pre-game show. What was the context of the prediction (i.e. were they talking about potential surprise or turn around teams, or was it just who they thought would make the playoffs next year) and what, as close as you can remember, were his exact words?[/quote]

they asked if there would be 6 new playoff teams next year. he said the bengals will make the playoffs next year becuase they had the 12th defense, were injured, will have palmer and the offseason and so on. it wasnt him being sarcastic or trying to be funny. he was dead serious and everyone stared at him like WTF. even dumbass boomer.

[quote name='Jason' post='737516' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:20 PM']I didn't watch the CBS pre-game show. What was the context of the prediction (i.e. were they talking about potential surprise or turn around teams, or was it just who they thought would make the playoffs next year) and what, as close as you can remember, were his exact words?[/quote]

found this on another board, don't know how accurate it is (I didn't see it on tv):

"The great Bengals teams in the past were always known for their defense...they were 11th in total defense this past year...Cedric Benson has revitalized and brought new life into the franchise...they were 32nd in total offense this season...expect Carson to flip that offense around completely next year"

[quote name='scharm' post='737494' date='Jan 4 2009, 12:59 PM']It was nice to hear. I hope defense continues to improve. They need more sacks and TOs along with the yardage improvement. If they can do that I'd have to guess TOP and Points allowed would decrease.[/quote]

I agree 100%. Adding more QB pressure in itself will lead to more TO's. Add to this a heathly CP and upgrade the oline to ensure he is protected and this team can get back to where it was in 2005 even if Tj and/or COC are gone.

A protected CP gets you to 8 wins and a top 10 defense gets you 3-4 more.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='737520' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:31 PM']found this on another board, don't know how accurate it is (I didn't see it on tv):

"The great Bengals teams in the past were always known for their defense...they were 11th in total defense this past year...Cedric Benson has revitalized and brought new life into the franchise...they were 32nd in total offense this season...expect Carson to flip that offense around completely next year"[/quote]

I do not know the numbers and I am too lazy to look them up but seldom do I recall the Bengals being known for their defense. They have more often than not been known as an offensive minded team. I do beleive they only had 1 ot 2 top 10 defenses in all the years that Dick LeBeau was the DC.

I beleive in their best years they were typically a bend but don't break group giving up lots of yards but holding teams in check as far as points.

[quote name='cwing' post='737521' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:45 PM']I agree 100%. Adding more QB pressure in itself will lead to more TO's. Add to this a heathly CP and upgrade the oline to ensure he is protected and this team can get back to where it was in 2005 even if Tj and/or COC are gone.

A protected CP gets you to 8 wins and a top 10 defense gets you 3-4 more.[/quote]
with as much enjoyment as Ocho has given me in years past (before his great :ninja: agent came in to the picture), and with as much production Tj's had, still THE MOST IMPORTANT factor is definitely the [u][i][b]LINE[/b][/i][/u]. No time to throw and/or holes open to run means no points.

[quote name='WhoDeeez' post='737524' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:55 PM']with as much enjoyment as Ocho has given me in years past (before his great :ninja: agent came in to the picture), and with as much production Tj's had, still THE MOST IMPORTANT factor is definitely the [u][i][b]LINE[/b][/i][/u]. No time to throw and/or holes open to run means no points.[/quote]

Afuckingmen...

This is how I remember it:

They were doing the True/False segment. Question was will there be 6 new playoff teams. I believe everyone selected "true" except Marino. Marino babble on about maybe 3,4, or 5 but not six.... then Bill throws out the bomb about his team to watch is the Cincinnati Bengals. There was some background noise and ribbing Bill spoke louder with his reasons being... always lacked defense, defense now 12th...offensive turn around with Palmer and Benson, he continued on about the Cincinnati Bengals being a team to watch next year.

[quote name='scharm' post='737543' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:41 PM']This is how I remember it:

They were doing the True/False segment. Question was will there be 6 new playoff teams. I believe everyone selected "true" except Marino. Marino babble on about maybe 3,4, or 5 but not six.... then Bill throws out the bomb about his team to watch is the Cincinnati Bengals. There was some background noise and ribbing Bill spoke louder with his reasons being... always lacked defense, defense now 12th...offensive turn around with Palmer and Benson, he continued on about the Cincinnati Bengals being a team to watch next year.[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='737509' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:01 PM']My guess would be he probably follows football more than a lot of those guys. He also probably ha a much better feel for what this team is like with Carson under center.[/quote]
Follows football more than the guys whose job it is to follow football? Come on. It's not like Cowher is getting behind the scenes info, especially when he has always been thought to want to return to coaching. And his knowledge of the Bengals is the same as any other guy looking in from the outside.
He made a prediction that a few TV guys make every year and it's a popular one to make because with one of the best QBs in the league, the always present potential of young players and a good finish to the season, the Bengals never are far off from being a contender - something just seems to go wrong once they get on the field.
He's just trying to set himself up to look like a genius prognosticator with no risk of being called out if it doesn't pan out because like this year, there will always be an excuse as to why a talented team sucked.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='737551' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:42 PM']Follows football more than the guys whose job it is to follow football? Come on. It's not like Cowher is getting behind the scenes info, especially when he has always been thought to want to return to coaching. And his knowledge of the Bengals is the same as any other guy looking in from the outside.
He made a prediction that a few TV guys make every year and it's a popular one to make because with one of the best QBs in the league, the always present potential of young players and a good finish to the season, the Bengals never are far off from being a contender - something just seems to go wrong once they get on the field.
He's just trying to set himself up to look like a genius prognosticator with no risk of being called out if it doesn't pan out because like this year, there will always be an excuse as to why a talented team sucked.[/quote]

Actually, I don't recall one person picking the Bengals to make the playoffs this season. That being said, it's a rather bold prediction that no one will remember if it doesn't happen, but if it does, there will be a lot of praise of his foresight. I also think our chances next year are determined by our offseason. We have at least 2 holes on the oline (center, RT), TJ is a FA, Benson is a FA, Need an improved pass rush, and of course Ocho Cinco. I also think we should get a real full back.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='737561' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:47 PM']Actually, I don't recall one person picking the Bengals to make the playoffs this season.[/quote]

At the end of last season I know I heard the Bengals pop up on at least a few "teams to watch" lists.

Archived