All Time Favorite Bengals Head Coach

Head Coach Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite Bengals head coach?

• Paul Brown
    • Forrest Gregg
    • Sam Wyche
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Other - specify in a post

[quote name='sparky151' post='738683' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:07 PM']What? No love for Homer Rice?

I voted for Forrest. No nonsense guy who got the team to play as one.[/quote]
[b]Even though Paul Brown was the man. I voted for Sam..he was one of the best offensive football minds in the NFL over the last 40 years[/b]

Dunno how anyone could vote for anyone but Sam.. The guy brought real excitement not only to the team and city but he forever changed the [b]NFL[/b] with the No Huddle and his various other stuff.
If you weren't following The Bengals that far back you really missed out on one of the absolute high points of the history of this team. It was something else..
That team 20 years ago was magic and it's a god damn shame that all people can remember is Billups dropping the INT..
The championship was taken from us via injury. Cincy was the better team.

Gregg can't match it and Marvin is light years behind.

Gregg's overall record as an NFL coach was 75 wins, 85 losses, and one tie. 47% of his games he coached he won.
As the head coach of the Bengals from 1980-1983 he had 32 wins and 25 losses. 56% of his games he coached for the Bengals he won.

Wyche's overall record as an NFL coach was 87 wins, 109 losses, and no ties. 44% of his games he coached he won.
As the head coach of the Bengals from 1984–1991 he had 61 wins and 66 losses. 48% of his games he coached for the Bengals he won.

In other words, Wyche never surpassed Gregg's percentages of wins.

Not taking into account any other statistics as a player or who is in the Hall of Fame and who is not.

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='738757' date='Jan 9 2009, 06:55 PM']Dunno how anyone could vote for anyone but Sam.. The guy brought real excitement not only to the team and city but he forever changed the [b]NFL[/b] with the No Huddle and his various other stuff.
If you weren't following The Bengals that far back you really missed out on one of the absolute high points of the history of this team. It was something else..
That team 20 years ago was magic and it's a god damn shame that all people can remember is Billups dropping the INT..
The championship was taken from us via injury. Cincy was the better team.

Gregg can't match it and Marvin is light years behind.[/quote]

I loved Sam but you have to admit he was flaky. Gregg was a hard ass tough old school coach. I voted Gregg.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='738792' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:20 PM'][b]how old are you people anyway.[/b].. :mellow:

when wyche stopped coaching the bengals.. i was 10.. i certainly remember nothing from then.. so all i have is shitty coaches and marvin lewis to remember.. so i voted marv..

i like marv a lot...[/quote]

110, and I like Marvin too.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='738792' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:20 PM']how old are you people anyway... :mellow:

when wyche stopped coaching the bengals.. i was 10.. i certainly remember nothing from then.. so all i have is shitty coaches and marvin lewis to remember.. so i voted marv..

Mavin Lewis couldn't carry Forrest Gregg's or Sam Wyche's Jock. There is absolutely no comparison.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='738806' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:32 PM']Mavin Lewis couldn't carry Forrest Gregg's or Sam Wyche's Jock. There is absolutely no comparison.[/quote]

k.... your opinion is so solid here so often.. how can i argue... :ninja:

its also tough to compare a football coach from so long ago.. as the game isnt even remotely the same...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='738792' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:20 PM'][color="#0000FF"]how old are you people anyway[/color]... :mellow:[/quote]

Surely, age has affected this poll. To me, of the choices offered, Sam is dead last on the list.
Yea, he got us to the Super Bowl, and that was cool, but...
If it weren't for my tremendous personal restraint, I would have thrown a brick through my tv screen about a thousand times during his career here.
Christ, how many times can a coach pitch the ball back 8 yards on 3rd & goal from the 1 yard line?
See Sam Wyche, he holds the NFL record.

Favorite was kind of hard for me to define.

I voted for Paul because, well, it should be self explanatory. He truly was a football god, and out of sheer respect, he's my all time favorite coach, anywhere.

Sam was the most entertaining. You either loved him, or hated him, and I always loved him.

Gregg was a mean, intimidating son of a bitch. Sometimes that makes for a good coach. It did for us for a short time.

I'm still a big fan of Marvin, but his ultimate place among the others is yet to be determined. I would love to be able to put him at the top of the list in 5 years after 3 Super Bowl wins. :)

[quote name='GoBengals' post='738792' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:20 PM']how old are you people anyway... :mellow:

Uncle took me to my first game when Brown was still coaching. I signed up for the Navy (DEP) when we went to our first Super Bowl. Met my X wife on the second one.

Tried to recreate the moment when I took my nephew to a game. We won and he has not stopped talking about the Bengals. Corrupted another generation. Unfortunately we might have to wait until he joins the service. :(

[quote name='GoBengals' post='738807' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:37 PM']k.... your opinion is so solid here so often.. how can i argue... :ninja:

its also tough to compare a football coach from so long ago.. as the game isnt even remotely the same...[/quote]

Apparently my opinion is shared by the majority of posters here--if you don't believe me, check the survey results. I'm just sorry you are too young to remember when the Bengals were a a respected team around the NFL and a threat to be in the playoffs every year, when the 'B' word had not been invented, and Mike Brown hadn't turned this franchise into a laughingstock with his inept management.

I love and hate Marvin Lewis and Sam Wyche.

Both have produced great times and underachieved as well.

The hate:

You think about the team Wyche had brewing in 1985. 1 Conference title, 2 Division titles and that's it. While beating the other young AFC team that would go on to 4 straight AFC Championships and Superbowl loses (Buffalo Bills). (The bengals beat the future AFC Dynasty 4 straight between 85-88)

I'm sorry 2005 was good, but 2006 will always go down as a Marvin Lewis cluster fuck that robbed us of another double digit win season, back to back playoffs and a franchise preception change.

The Love:

Wyche could get under the skin of our rivals. They hated him. He's the only coach that could whoop the Steelers consistently and Chuck Knoll wouldn't shake his hand after games. Gave us a sound bite that would haunt Cleveland forever and basically bitched slapped Jerry Glanville 61-7.

Marvin made it fun again. Prime time games. Sell outs. Beating 9-0 Chiefs. Going into Pitt to put them on the fast path to a division championship. I'm off the Marvin bandwagon today, but as a fan I hope he rights the ship and finishes this story the way I hoped back in 2005.

Archived