Bengals have been trying to trade Levi for the past couple of weeks?

[quote]Two league sources said Friday that Cincinnati has been trying to trade offensive tackle Levi Jones for a couple weeks. The belief is if the Bengals can't find a taker, they will release him soon.[/quote]

[url="http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/four_down_territory_march_13_w.html"]http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/fo...march_13_w.html[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='756166' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:37 AM'][url="http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/four_down_territory_march_13_w.html"]http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/fo...march_13_w.html[/url][/quote]
Oh my... definitely taking a tackle.

I'd try to trade him to the Lions for a 4th rounder... heck, I'd take a 7th if they didn't agree to that.

By the way, does anyone know if the cap hit is different for when you cut or trade a player?

[quote name='Tigris' post='756167' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:40 AM']By the way, does anyone know if the cap hit is different for when you cut or trade a player?[/quote]

It is the same. The Bengals would actually save about $500,000
by cutting or trading him. But they would have $5.2 million in
dead money.

[quote name='Tigris' post='756179' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:57 AM']I wouldn't cut Levi if those figures are correct. If I couldn't trade him I'd keep him. Wow... that's not a lot of savings. Definitely not worth it.[/quote]

Well, it isn't worth it to keep a player that can't play either.
It really depends on his health. If they are trying to trade
him, then they must not feel too good about his future.
Or maybe they are just trying to grant him his wish.
Or maybe a little of both.

By the way, I got those numbers from the Cap Page PhatCat made.

[quote name='Tigris' post='756179' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:57 AM']I wouldn't cut Levi if those figures are correct. If I couldn't trade him I'd keep him. Wow... that's not a lot of savings. Definitely not worth it.[/quote]

yea, if they can't get a decent draft pick for him (which they probably won't), then I don't see the worth getting rid of him. We don't save much money, and he'd be a valuable backup whether he's content with it or not.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='756182' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:00 AM']yea, if they can't get a decent draft pick for him (which they probably won't), then I don't see the worth getting rid of him. We don't save much money, and he'd be a valuable backup whether he's content with it or not.[/quote]
Yeah, but getting rid of him one way or the other goes along with the new philosophy of clearing the locker room of malcontents, and if I recall, Levi was apparently one of those according to reports. And if true, I'm going to say bank on Chad being gone before September.

I would get rid of him no matter what. A trade would be gravy but I feel he is part of the problem and not the solution. He's missed a good amount of games 2 of the last 3 years and I just havent liked his attitude over that time period. He could be a servicable backup but thats a lot of money to pay a backup and I would bet he would bitch up a storm if that happened. I think as an overall team they are better off without him

As many of us have said here before... winning changes everything. Pending on his health, like Old mentioned, he could come in here and start and we win 12 games next year... he play out his contract and be one of the best LTs we've ever had.

I know we're trying to rid ourselves of the the "problem players" but we can't skin ourselves down to the bone. We'd almost haveto take an OT at #6. I think it would be best for us to draft an OT regardless, but in case something unexpected happens, I'd like to give ourselves the opportunity to have multiple options when our time comes.

The only problem with getting rid of Levi is right now we only have 3 tackles on the roster: Collins, Levi and Roland.

Kooistra or Whit could switch to right tackle but that would create a hole at guard.

Either way we need to add some offensive lineman

Sometimes it is just best to cut or trade a guy and not worry about the dead money.

For example, everybody was all up in arms that if we traded Chad last season, we would have had 7 million in dead money. Well, we paid him 6 million in salary and are still in a similar boat, and if we moved Chad this year, we are still looking at 4 or 5 million in dead money.

Same with Levi, if we keep him this year, pay him his huge salary and cut him next year, its still over 3 million in dead money.

If this story/rumor is to be believed, the Bengals won't be able to get much for Levi if other teams already know they will cut him if they can't deal him. Better to wait and try to get him without giving up a player or draft pick. The best hope for the Bengals would probably be a player at this point, ala the Peterson-Redding deal.

I think the writing has been on the wall for awhile with Levi. Too many bad signs for him to overcome. Animal fat injections into his knee. Demanding a trade and pouting when he was benched in 2007. The development of Collins and the possibility of another first round offensive tackle.

It's hard to imagine a team trading for Levi. Maybe if the deal had a conditional pick for 2010 depending on his playing time. Levi is our insurance policy against not getting a good LT at #6 or if Collins struggles. I'm not opposed to cutting or trading him if we have coverage but he's better than nothing. If he plays sparingly as a backup, he might be able to play better each snap with less wear on his knees. If his knees are going to be in the same condition anyway just from walking around and practices, then let him go.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='756183' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:03 AM']Yeah, but getting rid of him one way or the other goes along with the new philosophy of clearing the locker room of malcontents, and if I recall, Levi was apparently one of those according to reports. And if true, I'm going to say bank on Chad being gone before September.[/quote]

Agreed...It all goes back to Marvin Lewis' quote about mediocre players being satisfied by mediocre success...And that being part of the problem over the last 2 seasons.

It seems like management has conceded this point, and that is very good news. When Marvin directs the focus of the team, we have a better chance of 11-5 vs. 4-11-1.

BZ

[quote name='Tigris' post='756187' date='Mar 15 2009, 11:18 AM']As many of us have said here before... winning changes everything. Pending on his health, like Old mentioned, he could come in here and start and we win 12 games next year... he play out his contract and be one of the best LTs we've ever had.

I know we're trying to rid ourselves of the the "problem players" but we can't skin ourselves down to the bone. We'd almost haveto take an OT at #6. I think it would be best for us to draft an OT regardless, but in case something unexpected happens, I'd like to give ourselves the opportunity to have multiple options when our time comes.[/quote]

This is too logical for the "cut-everyone" crowd.

[quote name='Tigris' post='756179' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:57 AM']I wouldn't cut Levi if those figures are correct. If I couldn't trade him I'd keep him. Wow... that's not a lot of savings. Definitely not worth it.[/quote]

Restucture his contract and give him 15 snaps a game as a backup. That is if his ego will buy it. Imo, his days as a starter are behind him.

[quote name='Jason' post='756213' date='Mar 15 2009, 02:41 PM']I have no problem with trading him, but I am against cutting him unless it is to restructure his contract.[/quote]

Sorry,Jason,I just duplicated your post without reading your comment.My apologies.

Archived