Alternate helmet designs?

[quote] However, the striped helmet has now been around for nearly 30 years![/quote]

And the Pack and Steelers helmets have changed every five years haven't they.

Meanwhile, an orange helmet would be the Browns, black helmet with B would be Steeler-ish and a black helmet with logo would be the Ravens.

The only helmet I want that isn't ours is the inverse one that is ours.

[quote name='VonBlade' date='22 July 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1248288779' post='786013']
And the Pack and Steelers helmets have changed every five years haven't they.

Meanwhile, an orange helmet would be the Browns, black helmet with B would be Steeler-ish and a black helmet with logo would be the Ravens.

The only helmet I want that isn't ours is the inverse one that is ours.
[/quote]

Yep...

[quote name='Jason' date='22 July 2009 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1248291144' post='786019']
I like the helmet we have now and wouldn't change a thing.
[/quote]

I do like the jerseys they have. I still like that logo with the tiger and the helmet flying off. That logo on a white Helmet with a black and orange half strip in the front and a black grill. For some reason, that seems more classic NFL to me, and I'm really for the classic looking uniforms. Maybe that's my conservative Cincinnati upbringing.

[attachment=590:6a01127953797128a40115712bca2c970c-800wi.jpg]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/7th-Coolest-Helmet-in-History-Cincinnati-Bengal?urn=nfl,85082"]7th Coolest Helmet in Histor[/url]

7th Coolest Helmet in History: Cincinnati Bengals, '81 - Present
By MJD

The Tony the Tiger stripes are going to be a controversial selection here in the Shutdown Eleven, and I'm okay with that. Everyone I've unofficially polled has had a strong opinion on the Bengals lids; some hate them, some dig them. There's not a lot of gray area.

And I think that's a good thing. Part of being included on this list is a willingness to be bold. And these helmets are certainly that.
Especially when you consider that the Bengals went overnight from the least imaginative design in football history to one of the boldest. In 1980, it just read "BENGALS" on the side of their helmet. They actually made the Browns helmets look flashy by comparison. In a plain black font, with no stripe, no design, no logo ... nothing. How did they arrive at that decision?
"Hey, we're the Bengals. What should we have on the side of our helmets? No one? No one has any ideas? What about you? Yes, you, Lenny. The guy in the corner wearing chewing on his pinkies and wearing bib overalls and no shirt. What do you think?"
"We could just write 'BENGALS' on the side of the helmets. Derrr, Lenny likes french toast."

And so it was.
Then in 1981, they went to the striped jobs, and they've stuck with them since. To be honest with you, I personally don't dig the orange and black color scheme, and it's not like I look at the Bengals helmets and say, "Yes, those are visually appealing." I actually find them quite ugly.
But we're rewarding daring choices here. Their helmets look like the skin of the animal for which the team is named, and that's thinking outside the box. The Jaguars lacked the courage to go with a leopard print on their helmet. The Falcons don't have feathered helmets. The Jets helmets don't look like they're made of aluminum, with wings and a series of little windows.
That's because they lack vision. If you wore this Bengals helmet into the bengal tiger exhibit at the zoo, the tigers would accept you as one of their own. I encourage you to try it.

Related: Shutdown Eleven: Coolest Helmets

[img]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3971/helmetfunny7ex.jpg[/img]

Every time one of these helmet design threads are started, it always reminds me of this classic Troythebengal creation.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it... I think this one might have been someone's joke, mocking troythebengal. Maybe BeaverHunter... I don't know. It's funny nevertheless.

[quote name='Jrod' date='23 July 2009 - 03:36 AM' timestamp='1248330983' post='786093']
[img]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3971/helmetfunny7ex.jpg[/img]

Every time one of these helmet design threads are started, it always reminds me of this classic Troythebengal creation.
[/quote]

love the troy the bengals helmet. Wish i would of kept some of them for my desktop background

I often thought it would be neat to have stripes on the helmet run vertically vs. horizontally as the do now. I would also change the style of the stripe to have sharper edges and little nastier look vs. the current curvy style. I think it could be a cool updated look. Any artists out there that want to give it a swing?

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' date='24 July 2009 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1248440432' post='786323']
It's been a while since I have seen this beauty. I miss Troy and NewBengal the Karate Master...those were some fun times.
[/quote]

Ahh, and Chandler with his "ass-istant".. Those were the days.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMxkMy9JvXI[/media]

Archived