Looking back, and laughing, at all the Experts preseason picks

Although I didn't post that they will not be in the playoffs or what I thought there record would be, I sure didn't believe they would make it in at the beginning of the year. I figured the division was just too tough with Baltimore and Pittsburgh. I have been pleasantly surprised and will gladly eat my well-deserved crow. And boy does it taste great right now...Mmmmmmmm.....

Experts might be "way off" as you say but it was a great assumption before the season started by them. I sure didn't expect the Bengals to be 10 - 5. If they went 5 - 11 I wouldn't have been suprised. They can easily be out of the playoffs if it wasn't for 3 or 4 4th Q comebacks and be standing at 7 - 8.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='31 December 2009 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1262281027' post='850046']
[b]Coulda, woulda, shoulda. [/b]We didnt. [b]And[i][u] if we would have lost[/u][/i] this week[/b] we still would not be in, so yes it is one game.

And of course it is easy to make, its the same prediction you make every year.
[/quote]

lolz...

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='01 January 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1262403640' post='850332']
My preseason prediction for the Bengals was 10-6 and a potential Wild Card birth. My game-by-game predictions were way off, though. I think most of the "experts" were a little lazy in their research about the Bengals and wrote of us off after 2008.
[/quote]

I said we would be 11-4 at this point and thinking of resting our starters in the Jets game. Who Cares? I do think you are right, though, that many of the media simply looked at last year and the way we played in relationship to the way Piss and the Rats played last year and didn't see us getting over the hump. I saw a bunch of guys with something to prove that I thought would be a real team.

[quote name='kennethmw' date='02 January 2010 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1262449609' post='850413']
I said we would be 11-4 at this point and thinking of resting our starters in the Jets game. Who Cares? I do think you are right, though, that many of the media simply looked at last year and the way we played in relationship to the way Piss and the Rats played last year and didn't see us getting over the hump. I saw a bunch of guys with something to prove that I thought would be a real team.
[/quote]

There were a bunch of indicators (Carson returning, Zimmer's defense, healthy players, good draft class, etc.) pointing to major improvement for the Bengals in 2009. Most of the media didn't believe the Bengals had the toughness to win close games and compete against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. So they ignored most of those indicators and gave the same half-baked reasons for why the Bengals would finish 6-10 or 7-9 in 3rd place in the AFC North. The only move I wish they had back was re-signing TJ instead of Coles, but I think they did the best that they could with the hand they were dealt.

Archived