Parking/Shuttle Options in NKY

Folks heading to PBS who do not have prepaid Lot passes have other parking options than finding a $15-30 garage in Cincinnati. Namely, Northern Kentucky.

Over in Covington, the most expensive game day parking lots are only $5, with lots of free parking available. The largest of the free lots is the one owned by the city along Fifth Street between Philadelphia and Main. If you cross the river on I-71/75, take the first exit, bear left when the ramp splits and you'll be on Fifth Street. Go through one traffic light at Philadelphia, the city lot will be on your right, it's nearly two blocks long. If you prefer covered parking, you can use the NKY Convention Center garage for five bucks. Just get on Fifth Street as above and turn left on Madison (it'll be the 5th cross street AFTER Philadelphia). The garage is 2.5 blocks ahead on the right. There is also free street parking and a several private five dollar lots.

To get to the game, you can walk across either the Suspension Bridge (if you're in/near the Convention Center) or the Bailey Bridge (if you're in/near Mainstrasse or are using the free city lot previously mentioned). If walking is not your thing, you can take the TANK (Transit Authority of Northern KY) Southbank Shuttle. It costs a buck-fifty and runs from Covington & Newport to-and-from PBS.

The bus runs every 20-25 minutes normally, but within 3 hours of kickoff they double the # of buses in service so the wait is typically 10 minutes or so. The route has been changed slightly since last year, it no longer runs west of I-71/75. Unless you're parking at Willie's this is a good thing, because it bypasses the backup on 5th street as it merges with the ramp from northbound I-71/75. (Willie's has their own bus.)

Southbank Shuttle on the web: http://www.tankbus.org/RoutesSchedules/SouthbankShuttle/tabid/69/Default.aspx
Southbank Shuttle map: http://www.tankbus.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=P6Z6fjKiWcY%3d&tabid=69

I typically pick up the Shuttle at Fourth and Main. That's the last stop before the bus heads across the river to PBS. The drop-off spot is at Vine right above Lot B, and that's also the pick-up spot after the game. Also, rather than having to remember to carry exact change with me after the game, I just buy a 10-ride pass. Not only is it more convenient, it's slightly cheaper than paying for 10 rides individually - I think they're $13.50 each, and can be ordered online w/free shipping directly from TANK.

The Shuttle also runs from Newport, but I've never parked there so I don't know the skinny. There are also bars that have their own bus or water taxi service, and IIRC B&B Riverboats has a flat rate round-trip service that also runs you across the river. Others more familiar with those options are welcome to add that info to this thread.

Bottom line: Rather than paying $20 to park in Cincinnati, I pay nothing to park and $3 to ride the bus. The money I save pays for two overpriced stadium beers, hand-delivered to my seat by Beerman Tim. The way I see it, by parking across the river I get a beer subsidy. And there's nothing wrong with that!

I usually park at longworth for bengals games. But the last few times i went to a reds game, I parked over in newport and took the boat($5 a person, round trip).

The boat takes off from Hooters/Beer Sellar

I have historically parked in the Tower Park on 4th (across the street from Koch's Sporting Goods). It has cost $20 or more every year and, while covered, it has always been a nightmare in exiting. I have continued to park there because it is just a short walk to Lot D/PBS, I hate shuttle buses, and I am a creature of habit.

For years, Amish has urged me to park over in NKY, and this year I probably will do that. I still hate shuttle buses, but the cost savings may be the inducement towards my development of new habits.

Archived