Drunk Browns Fan Tackles 8-Year-Old Jets Fan

Not only are Browns fans all wife-beating, chain-smoking, alcoholic, ambulance-chasing, union-card-carrying, lottery-playing, Kucinish-electing assholes, but you can now add "child-tackling" to the ever growing collection of adjectives....

Linky: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5816234

[quote][b]Report: Young Jets Fan Roughed Up[/b]
Updated: November 17, 2010, 7:09 PM ET

By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets, disheartened to hear about an 8-year-old Jets fan in Cleveland who was reportedly tackled by a drunken Browns fan after Sunday's game, reached out to the boy's family Wednesday and offered VIP treatment at a Jets home game.

Matt Higgins, the Jets' executive vice president of business operations, contacted the family after reading of its plight at 6 a.m. on Twitter. The Jets offered to fly the family to New Jersey to watch a game in a luxury suite at the New Meadowlands Stadium and receive autographed memorabilia from coach Rex Ryan and players.

The family politely declined, according to the Jets.

"It's terrible, what happened to that little boy," Higgins told ESPNNewYork.com. "As a father myself, I can say it tugs at you. We reached out to them, hoping we could raise their spirits. But, in talking to the family, they'd like to maintain their privacy. They have no plans to take us up on the offer at this time, but it's an open-ended invitation."

The boy went to the game at Cleveland Browns Stadium in a Jets jersey with his father, who was born in New York. Much to the chagrin of the local crowd, the Jets rallied for a 26-20 overtime victory. The boy's mother, identified only as Danielle by ABC affiliate WEWS because she didn't want to reveal her last name, said things got out of control outside after the game.

"Calling him a bad word, to my husband and to my son, throwing food at them," she said, according to WEWS.

When the family reached the parking lot, the situation got uglier.

"As [my husband] was walking, holding my son's hand, a guy from behind tackled him. A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad's hand. He was on the ground crying," Danielle said, according to the station.

The boy was left with a scraped and bruised ankle. The mother said her husband didn't call police, opting instead to quickly get in the car and leave. But the mother wrote a letter to The Plain Dealer in Cleveland detailing what happened.

A team spokesman said the Browns contacted the boy's family on Wednesday and offered "anything we can do" after hearing about the "unfortunate" incident.

The boy's mother had been nervous about her son attending the game, but believed "kids are off-limits. Clevelanders are such great people. I knew that they would never hurt an 8-year-old kid, never."

She apparently was wrong.

"My husband asked him, 'Did you have a good time?' He said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Would you want to go back sometime?' And he said, 'No, I don't like Browns Stadium.' Who could blame him?" the boy's mother said.[/quote]

So, let's recap recent highlights from Cleveland Sports Fan History:

Original Thread... http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=53631&st=0

1978 - Houston Oilers at Cleveland Browns - Refs rule "simultaneous posession" on a pass play, giving the ball to the Oilers. They kick a game-winning field goal as time expires on the very next play. Browns fans shower the field with beer bottles (they were glass back then).

1988 - Houston Oilers at Cleveland Browns - Oiler receiver goes out of bounds and plows into a defenseless cameraman, knocking him out near the Dawg Pound. While paramedics work on the dude along the sideline, Browns fans pelt them and the unconscious and helpless cameraman with snowballs and beer bottles.

1993 - Miami Dolphins at Cleveland Browns (Monday Night Football) - Dan Marino goes down untouched, crumpling to the ground after tearing his Achilles on the awful turf. Browns fans cheered. Al Michaels expressed his disgust over the air, Dierdorf and Gifford did likewise.

1996 - Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns - Fans upset due to Art Modell's decision to move his team to Baltimore, brought tools including hacksaws to their franchise's final game as the Browns. They ripped entire rows of seats out of the city-owned stadium, passing them hand-over-hand to field level where they were hurled into the playing area during play. Fearing injury to the players, refs moved play to other end of the stadium.

1997 - Chicago White Sox at Cleveland Indians - Former Indian Albert Belle is pelted by debris by Cleveland fans in left field, throwing coins, broken glass, and beer bottles.

1998 - New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians (ALS) - Cleveland fans taunt Yankee starter David Wells during his pregame bullpen warmups, making obscene comments about his Mother, who had died only 18 months before. They even got children involved in the taunting.

2001 - Jacksonville Jaguars at Cleveland Browns - Browns lose an instant replay appeal, resulting in an apparent game-winning TD being erased. Browns fans react by pelting Jaguar players and refs with (you guessed it) beer bottles.

2006 - New Orleans Saints at Cleveland Browns - A fan with spina bifida left his wheelchair at the bottom of a landing before walking up to his seat. At the end of the game he walked back down to learn that some Cleveland fans had stolen it.

2008 - Indianapolis Colts at Cleveland Browns - Browns QB Derek Anderson goes down in the waning moments of a close loss to the Colts, spraining his MCL when Browns RT Kevin Shaffer landed on Anderson's leg. Laying on the field, in pain, with what would be a season-ending injury, Anderson situation was greeted with cheers from the Cleveland fans.

[b]2010 - New York Jets at Cleveland Browns - After an overtime loss, Browns fan stalk a father and his 8-year-old son, both wearing Jets jerseys, walking away from the game. When hurling foul language and food at the pair fails, one member of the mob breaks away and tackles the kid, pulling him from his father's hand, knocking the child to the ground with injuries.[/b]

They're all chain-smoking wife-beating lottery-playing ambulance-chasing union-card-carrying government-handout-loving Kucinich-electing wheelchair-stealing battery-throwing injury-cheering [b]child-tackling[/b] alcoholic assholes who train their children taunt players' dead mothers after smuggling beer into games inside of their diaper bags.

These "people" are routinely lauded by the media as the Best Fans In The World. I continue to insist that there's a wide gap between being a "good" fan (let alone "best") and being a mere hooligan. Cleveland sucks. Their citizens suck. Their fans suck. The only good thing to come out of Cleveland is I-71.

The only issue I have with this article is that (unfortunately) there are assholes everywhere. I took my (then) 9 & 11 year old daughters to the Oakland game last year......We travel all the way from Australia to watch the Bengals play (on average once or twice a year) and sometimes a west coast trip saves at least a bit of travel time. After being warned by basically EVERYONE about going to Oakland we elected to go and wear (modified) version of Bengals gear. Most people were fine particular with young kids present, but you still get one or two douchebags who although not physical abusive (As in this case) still felt the need to hurl foul mouth insults, throw food, etc.

I should also add I'm an incredibly RESPECTFUL fan. I will applaud politely my teams success but NOT be "over the top" in another teams stadium.....

Personally if Oakland (and now add Cleveland) never win another game I know I will be a happy man! Seriously - ITS A GAME.......why people think that allows them to be a dipshit I have no idea.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' timestamp='1290041711' post='942434']
Not only are Browns fans all wife-beating, chain-smoking, alcoholic, ambulance-chasing, union-card-carrying, lottery-playing, Kucinish-electing assholes, but you can now add "child-tackling" to the ever growing collection of adjectives....

Linky: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5816234
[/quote]

you need to take your fucked up political agenda elsewhere, asshole.

who people vote for or how they've put food on the table for their families have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

and i used to give you credit for being smart and witty. not feeling real good about myself for that right now!

[quote name='Missya15' timestamp='1290044990' post='942442']
haha hell yeah cleveland fans are awesome.if i was old and grumpy as u old ass people i'd do the same thing lmao. Next bengals game i go to im gonna run on the field holding a Go bengals poster haha
[/quote]
You're a fucking moron. No offense, of course. Seriously...WTF is wrong with you? Go away.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1290055440' post='942468']

who people vote for or how they've put food on the table for their families have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

and i used to give you credit for being smart and witty. not feeling real good about myself for that right now!
[/quote]
Fair 'nuff.

[/quote]

Cry me a river little lady.

The only problem I have with this story is the Dad did nothing to the guy that tackled his son and ran away.

[/quote]

Ever hear of "allegory" before?

Geez, lighten up.

[/quote]

Take your lack of a sense of humor elsewhere, dickhead.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' timestamp='1290041711' post='942434']

[/quote]

Har, Har, Har :rolleyes: :flip:

Don't you have useless spreadsheet to make or something?

I was listening to a AM cleveland sports talk station today. Some guy who claims to have seen the hole thing called in and said a drunk guy fell over a curb and knocked the kid down. The guy never tackled him from what he was saying. Take it for what its worth. I doubt people were just standing around watching the kid get tackled.

[quote name='Kochman' timestamp='1290217665' post='942841']
I was listening to a AM cleveland sports talk station today. Some guy who claims to have seen the hole thing called in and said a drunk guy fell over a curb and knocked the kid down. The guy never tackled him from what he was saying. Take it for what its worth. I doubt people were just standing around watching the kid get tackled.
[/quote]
That makes more sense

• 4 weeks later...

[/quote]

I don't know why you thought that you had to pull me off to the side in a PM and not just comment on the thread itself. You need to lighten up. If you don't think that politics shouldn't leak into football conversations, then make sure that you don't watch ESPN or even the NFL network ever again. A few of you guys that complain about political stuff in the football threads only complain when it's something that you disagree with. You had no right to insult and question his character because his political humor doesn't jibe with yours.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1292330905' post='950720']
I don't know why you thought that you had to pull me off to the side in a PM and not just comment on the thread itself. You need to lighten up. If you don't think that politics shouldn't leak into football conversations, then make sure that you don't watch ESPN or even the NFL network ever again. A few of you guys that complain about political stuff in the football threads only complain when it's something that you disagree with. You had no right to insult and question his character because his political humor doesn't jibe with yours.
[/quote]

dude im tired of moving threads to the political section, how about all of you end it now.

Archived