Donte Whitner agrees to a 2 year deal! Then he doesn't and signs with the $49ers

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1312634436' post='1012032']
Saints fans love Sharper for giving us 1 great year but the truth is he got all those ints because everyone was throwing at him. Great great player but he has simply used up all the gas.
[/quote]

Nah, some of those were because he has a great nose for the ball and jump. But so did Tory James, and at some age those aren't enough to make a go of it.

[size="2"]Choosing the 49ers over the Cincinnati Bengals, whom Whitner said offered him a similar deal, the newest Niner joined the team and immediately began looking a lot like the productive veteran who blossomed last year in his final season with the Buffalo Bills, when Whitner led all NFL defensive backs with 140 official tackles, an astounding number for a player who lines up in the secondary[/size]

Whitner, 26, was ready to move on after that career year, and he was all but signed and delivered to Cincinnati earlier this week until an 11th-hour phone call by Harbaugh swayed Whitner to reconsider and bring his talents to San
Francisco.

“It was a change of heart,” Whitner said. “I thought I was going to be a Cincinnati Bengal, but coach called me and told me that they have a young secondary here and he’d like me to come help lead this secondary. I weighed my options, Cincinnati or San Francisco, and I felt like San Francisco was the better choice – better football team, better chance to win.”

[url="http://sfo.scout.com/2/1093020.html"]http://sfo.scout.com/2/1093020.html[/url]

Q: What happened Wednesday when you picked the 49ers over the Bengals?

A: It was a change of heart. I thought I was going to go become a Cincinnati Bengal. Coach called me and told me he had a young secondary here and would like me to come help lead this secondary. I weighed my options between Cincinnati and San Francisco. I felt San Francisco was the best choice, a better football team, a better chance to win and a better organization. So I chose San Francisco.

Q: Coach, as in Harbaugh?

A: Yes

Q: You didn’t visit here and and your 49ers background came strictly off that phone call?

A: Yes, strictly off that phone call, but me and Ted Ginn played high school and college football together. Alex Boone, Larry Grant, there’s a lot of guys in that locker room I played with before. I’ve known Braylon (Edwards) and Vernon for years. I got a little feedback from those guys and how close to winning we are here in San Franciscco. That’s why I made the choice.

Q: Did the 49ers make a late push for you?

A: It wasn’t really late. It was San Francisco and Cincinnati all along. I was talking back and forth. It just so happened both offered approximately at the same time, so I had to make a choice. I’m glad I chose San Francisco.

Q: Was the weather a tiebreaker?

A: Yeah, the weather here is a lot better than Ohio. We get snow up there. I really want to get out of the snow. I don’t want to play in the snow anymore. It’s beautiful weather here and I’m looking forward to being a 49er.

[url="http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2011/08/06/whitner-envisions-himself-as-49ers-polamalu/"]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2011/08/06/whitner-envisions-himself-as-49ers-polamalu/[/url]

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1312733179' post='1012556']
That truth must sting some of you sunshine pumpers.

[b]Y'all think the practice bubble isn't important now?[/b]
[/quote]

I don't know of anyone who has made that argument.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1312734366' post='1012565']
You think a practice bubble equalizes the difference between weather in SF and weather in Cincinnati?

Seriously?
[/quote]

No.. But not having one sure does accentuate it.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1312734366' post='1012565']
You think a practice bubble equalizes the difference between weather in SF and weather in Cincinnati?

Seriously?
[/quote]

It's a factor obviously. Nobody likes to be out in the snow for no reason.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1312734574' post='1012569']
I continue to roll my eyes over the cult-of-practice bubble crowd.
[/quote]

And I'll continue to roll my eyes at people who don't seem to realize NFL'ers aren't Bengals fans.. And the perception of Cincinnati in general isn't one conducive to landing big time talent that has a choice of where to go.

It may not be a huge deal, but to think that players don't also roll their eyes at the idea that Cincinnati doesn't have a bubble, and that it doesn't at least go some ways in reinforcing the perception of Brown and this franchise is not very connected with reality.

I actually hope to jeebus that the bengals do someday get a bubble just so

1. I never have to hear this incessant whining from fans again and

2. Because they will apparently go straight to the super bowl due to being in a bubble for the three practices a year where it might come in handy ...

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1312734832' post='1012571']
And I'll continue to roll my eyes at people who don't seem to realize NFL'ers aren't Bengals fans.. And the perception of Cincinnati in general isn't one conducive to landing big time talent that has a choice of where to go.

It may not be a huge deal, but to think that players don't also roll their eyes at the idea that Cincinnati doesn't have a bubble, and that it doesn't at least go some ways in reinforcing the perception of Brown and this franchise is not very connected with reality.
[/quote]

there's also such a thing as "meaningful practice."

If its pouring down rain, you don't have much hope of getting in meaningful snaps during practice time.

I do believe you need to practice some in the elements to prepare for them, but you can't let the weather hinder your ability to get solid practice time in. Especially now that the new CBA further hinders how much players can practice in pads.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1312735078' post='1012572']

[b]2. Because they will apparently go straight to the super bowl due to being in a bubble for the three practices a year where it might come in handy ...[/b]
[/quote]

This is stupid. Just because something would be nice to have doesn't make it Aladdin's lamp. Your stance against the bubble is every bit as absurd as the supposed people you mock in this post.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1312735078' post='1012572']

[b]2. Because they will apparently go straight to the super bowl due to being in a bubble for the three practices a year where it might come in handy ...
[/b][/quote]

Nobody thinks that. But don't act like the little things don't matter. Attention to detail is critical in every line of work. Do everything you can to gain competitive advantage. soP doesn't believe in this. Same thing with the scouts, towels, all the little perks players notice when they leave.... etc.

A good example: The Dallas Mavericks.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312735109' post='1012574']
there's also such a thing as "meaningful practice."

If its pouring down rain, you don't have much hope of getting in meaningful snaps during practice time.

I do believe you need to practice some in the elements to prepare for them, but you can't let the weather hinder your ability to get solid practice time in.
[/quote]

And this.

I bet FA's love the idea of hoping on a bus for a 30 minute bus ride to Mason. That would get me in the football mood.

Fact is, you don't even have to use the bubble. It's a comfort factor for players though and will make them feel better about coming to this franchise.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1312745666' post='1012641']
I'm astonished anyone would try to make the case that the Bengals don't need an indoor practice facility. High schools have them but an NFL team doesn't need one?
[/quote]

Very ridiculous. High schools in Texas have them. Texas Tech has a bad ass one and it hardly snows there. It's cold sometimes, but it's not Ohio in the winter.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1312745960' post='1012645']
Very ridiculous. High schools in Texas have them. Texas Tech has a bad ass one and it hardly snows there. It's cold sometimes, but it's not Ohio in the winter.
[/quote]

X2. The Cowboys had one that collapsed a few years ago, so in the interim when they needed one, they used the one my HS has. Pretty unbelievable that the Bengals don't have one, but I guess it's not surprising. I don't think it's a deal breaker for FAs, but it is funny that they have to go 30 minutes in a bus to be able to use one.

Wonder what other teams don't have one?

Archived