AJ Green and drops

Here's an interesting blog post about AJ Green and his pre-season drops:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/09/07/discerning-errors-from-deficiencies-a-wrs-hands/

The writer is primarily a fantasy football guy but he does a ton of college and NFL scouting in this capacity (attending combines, senior bowl practices, etc.) and I've found he usually is right on with most of his evalutations.

I tend to agree with his general point that if AJ struggles a little bit with drops as a rookie, its correctable because he displayed such great technique and hands throughout his career. It did seem like in the Jets game for example AJ was concentrating so much on beating Darrelle Revis off the line, running the right route, etc. he wasn't catching the ball like he normally does.

AJ may struggle a bit more that I personally expected as a rookie, but he's going to be just fine long term.

not worried about it one bit. The Jets game was the first time I've EVER seen Green not catch a pass that he got a hand on. His hands are as good as advertised. Plus, it was raining and I've seen a lot of tape on Green and can't recall a game he played in the rain. Same for Dalton playing in the rain. Both just need to adjust to not playing in the near perfect playing conditions they were used to in the South.

I re-watched the game last night and there were quite a few drops that contributed to the stall of the offense in the second and third quarters. Joe Haden played a hell of a game, he was all over the place breaking passes but our wr's didn't help the situation by dropping many catchable passes. If this offense is going to really get going the wr's can't drop passes, I know it's an elementary statement but it's true. Hopefully as time goes on and the wr's develop a relationship with the qb's the drops will decrease.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1316190096' post='1031707']
More worried about Jerome and drops than AJ
[/quote]
[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1316190782' post='1031718']

x2
[/quote]

X3

As a big SEC fan I watched Green play a lot in college. We don't need to worry about his hands.

[quote name='kdubdub' timestamp='1316198122' post='1031806']

I didn't liketheslamming the helmet down after the noncall though. But Haden was in his head.[/quote]

It'll end up being good learning point.

As for the WRs and their hands, I read that on the quick-snap play for the TD Jerome was open on the other side of the field...and my first thought was that I was glad Grad threw it to Green.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1316270504' post='1032063']
[url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-everything-to-prove/09000d5d8224b794/Everything-to-Prove-Episode-30-Part-1"]http://www.nfl.com/v...isode-30-Part-1[/url]
[/quote]

Loved these, has a hard knocks feel.

[quote name='kdubdub' timestamp='1316198122' post='1031806']
If I remember correctly he dropped a couple against UCF in thebowl game. Don't really think it is a problem though.

I didn't liketheslamming the helmet down after the noncall though. But Haden was in his head.
[/quote]

Chadwick never did anything like that... :29:

:ninja:

Sorry but you should be worried about the drops. Catching a pass in college is no where close to the same in the NFL. Everyone can cover and hit in the NFL. Drops are either about fear or lack of concentration. The lack of concentration usually is a result of a guy excited to catch and run with the ball, the other is the fear of dropping the ball and or getting hit. HUGE difference with the two. TO dropped passes because he was already taking that pass to the house. Not a good thing but not a fear induced drop either. Hard to fix fear.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1316277451' post='1032089']
Sorry but you should be worried about the drops. Catching a pass in college is no where close to the same in the NFL. Everyone can cover and hit in the NFL. Drops are either about fear or lack of concentration. The lack of concentration usually is a result of a guy excited to catch and run with the ball, the other is the fear of dropping the ball and or getting hit. HUGE difference with the two. TO dropped passes because he was already taking that pass to the house. Not a good thing but not a fear induced drop either. Hard to fix fear.
[/quote]

I don't think AJ is scared of the ball...I think he's too excited and eager to play the game, which is both good and bad...if you remember him talking about that pass from Grad to win the Brown's game, I think he said something like "the ball couldn't get here far enough."

He's thinking a bit too much, IMO, when the ball is arriving. But playing time and more reps will eliminate that.

I don't think I ever watched a game where Jerry Rice didn't drop at least one pass.

Every San Fran game I ever watched, he would drop a pass, and the commentators would say the same thing... "There's something you don't see very often.Jerry Rice dropping a pass."

But I heard that same comment every time I watched a game he played in, so evidently it was soemthing you see pretty often.

As for Green's hands - I am not worried a bit. He has great hands. Gresham is the guy who seems to drop a key pass or two every game. He has to eliminate those. I could care less if Green dropped a couple in a preseason game during a monsoon with a soaking wet, water-logged ball.

[size=6][b] Encore might be easier for A.J. Green[/b][/size]

September, 16, 2011

By Jamison Hensley

Bengals rookie wide receiver [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13983/aj-green"][color=#225DB7]A.J. Green[/color][/url] set a high standard when he caught the 41-yard, game-winning touchdown against the Browns. It was the longest fourth-quarter game-winner in NFL history by a rookie in his team's first game (it broke the mark set by Cobb Rooney of the Duluth Kelleys in 1924).

While Green was helped on the play by Cleveland's defensive breakdown, the fourth overall pick of the 2011 draft could also catch a break for his encore. Denver's [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1758/champ-bailey"][color=#225DB7]Champ Bailey[/color][/url], a 10-time Pro Bowl cornerback, missed his third straight practice Friday with a hamstring injury. He would have to be considered questionable at best and would be at less than full strength if he lines up against Green.

Bailey's absence would force [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13797/cassius-vaughn"][color=#225DB7]Cassius Vaughn[/color][/url] into the starting lineup. Vaughn hasn't started a game or broken up a pass in two NFL seasons.

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/31609/encore-might-be-easier-for-a-j-green"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/31609/encore-might-be-easier-for-a-j-green[/url]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1316193544' post='1031744'][b]I'm not convinced Jerome is a true #2 ... [/b]

[b]... afterall, the only reason we even drafted him was because Brat's son went to the same college. Hopefully Brat doesn't continue to fuck us over even when he's ruining Atlanta's offense as well. [/b][/quote]

I have faith in Jerome as our #2 . Andy obviously likes him a lot as he was his favorite target against the Browns and those last couple games from last year showed me how he can play.

Really like AJ and Jerome with Ship in the slot and Gresham as our TE. Man , that's sick!

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1316355640' post='1032262']
I have faith in Jerome as our #2 . Andy obviously likes him a lot as he was his favorite target against the Browns and those last couple games from last year showed me how he can play.

Really like AJ and Jerome with Ship in the slot and Gresham as our TE. Man , that's sick!
[/quote]

Loved his tightrope that got us to 3rd and 1, and his refusal to go down on two long catches that netted us even more yards. He does need to work on catching more passes that he gets his hands on.

[quote name='thedaltonshow' timestamp='1316280354' post='1032105']

I don't think AJ is scared of the ball...I think he's too excited and eager to play the game, which is both good and bad...if you remember him talking about that pass from Grad to win the Brown's game, I think he said something like "the ball couldn't get here far enough."

He's thinking a bit too much, IMO, when the ball is arriving. But playing time and more reps will eliminate that.
[/quote]
I agree, I just think he is already trying to score a TD before he actually catches it. He will calm down.

Archived