How do you justify losing?

I dont have the patience to look through a gameday thread or read any other ridiculous fanfare. I have never witnessed a fanbase so bitter winning, and so happy losing.

If it were 12 months ago, it would be all carsons fault, no one would care about the yards or completion percentage, we lost so he didnt get it done... but andy gets his dick sucked after losing.

The defense gave up a few big plays, but they also gift wrapped some really short fields and the O walked away with field goals in both cases, converting even one of those two a TD wins the game. But the only thing being questioned is marvins fg on 4th and 1 call.

I am pretty eager to see who, other than marvin it seems, is going to be the scape goat for losing, enemy #1 and #2 are gone. So its going to be SOMEONE...

Recent years bitching:

The offense doesnt sustain drives, or scores too fast and wears out the defense, they get winded, etc..

yet the offense this year has a worse TOP than each of the last two years.

People blamed carson for throws that went right through chad and TO's hands in stride, and blame AJ and jerome for not making jumping backwords twisting in the air catches...

AJ green might be a top 5 WR in the NFL, the guy is a badass. and jerome is a DAMN good #2, gresham is a beast, shipley WAS solid, and benson and scott are both VERY talented...

all the weapons in the world, honestly, we should have converted BOTH turnovers into touchdowns against that defense..

with the guys the broncos had palying, they are a bottom 8 defense in the league. they have about half of the expected offseason starters on the defense... dumervil, bailey, warren, dj williams, and then miller got dinged up in the game too...think they lost a guy before the season as well..

we played a game on the way in, "try to find a broncos jersey a fan is wearing of a player who is actually going to play in the game"

found a few folks in von miller jerseys... no bailey, elway, tebow(guess he did kinda play, once), lloyd, moreno, saw a few eddie royals, who also got hurt..

the bengals should have won this game, by a lot of points...

if this series of play calls happened last year, there would be people throwing trash on everyone on the offense and staffs lawn:

run, run, pass, run, run, punt... the board would be on fire...

a 3rd and 1 in denver territory, deep pass call way overthrown, heads would roll, "bratkowski fucking stupid going deep only need 1 yard, pound benson, get it to leonard, etc..."

we started a drive on the broncos 28 or so, on the broncos 41, and got to their side at the 48 i think, had a 3rd and 1, and out of those three possessions we got 6 points...

we took a long sack on 3rd down without any timeouts at the end of the game, and threw a bomb into double coverage with 10+ seconds left on the following play on 4th down...

all of these things would have been crucified last year...

these arent characteristics of a winning football team, these arent traits of a playoff football team...

the O-line still sucks, its grown from terrible to average... when we got the protection guys got open and we made big plays, dalton made throws i didnt think he was even capable of, he had a solid game, but threw behind a wide open simpson and have some throws into traffic, rookie stuff, but if the ground game + that pass game isnt going to beat the half assed broncos team they put on the field... i fear the schedule is going to get BRUTAL in a few weeks.. i had chalked this game up as a easy victory, im not sure we beat the 49ers, and the bills are looking SUPERNASTY ( this is how we should have looked the last two weeks, they played bad opponents, we played bad opponents...

we should have destroyed the broncos...

I am not starting a pissing match, so please dont start one either... i just cant comprehend being stoked about LOSING a game to a COMPLETE SHIT team, missing half their defense, and missing many scoring opportunities to put the game away....

I dont understand why big stats and losing meant shitty players and coaches last year and means super awesome everything this year.....

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1316492525' post='1034016']I dont have the patience to look through a gameday thread or read any other ridiculous fanfare. I have never witnessed a fanbase so bitter winning, and so happy losing. If it were 12 months ago, it would be all carsons fault, no one would care about the yards or completion percentage, we lost so he didnt get it done... but andy gets his dick sucked after losing. The defense gave up a few big plays, but they also gift wrapped some really short fields and the O walked away with field goals in both cases, converting even one of those two a TD wins the game. But the only thing being questioned is marvins fg on 4th and 1 call. I am pretty eager to see who, other than marvin it seems, is going to be the scape goat for losing, enemy #1 and #2 are gone. So its going to be SOMEONE... Recent years bitching: The offense doesnt sustain drives, or scores too fast and wears out the defense, they get winded, etc.. yet the offense this year has a worse TOP than each of the last two years. People blamed carson for throws that went right through chad and TO's hands in stride, and blame AJ and jerome for not making jumping backwords twisting in the air catches... AJ green might be a top 5 WR in the NFL, the guy is a badass. and jerome is a DAMN good #2, gresham is a beast, shipley WAS solid, and benson and scott are both VERY talented... all the weapons in the world, honestly, we should have converted BOTH turnovers into touchdowns against that defense.. with the guys the broncos had palying, they are a bottom 8 defense in the league. they have about half of the expected offseason starters on the defense... dumervil, bailey, warren, dj williams, and then miller got dinged up in the game too...think they lost a guy before the season as well.. we played a game on the way in, "try to find a broncos jersey a fan is wearing of a player who is actually going to play in the game" found a few folks in von miller jerseys... no bailey, elway, tebow(guess he did kinda play, once), lloyd, moreno, saw a few eddie royals, who also got hurt.. the bengals should have won this game, by a lot of points... if this series of play calls happened last year, there would be people throwing trash on everyone on the offense and staffs lawn: run, run, pass, run, run, punt... the board would be on fire... a 3rd and 1 in denver territory, deep pass call way overthrown, heads would roll, "bratkowski fucking stupid going deep only need 1 yard, pound benson, get it to leonard, etc..." we started a drive on the broncos 28 or so, on the broncos 41, and got to their side at the 48 i think, had a 3rd and 1, and out of those three possessions we got 6 points... we took a long sack on 3rd down without any timeouts at the end of the game, and threw a bomb into double coverage with 10+ seconds left on the following play on 4th down... all of these things would have been crucified last year... these arent characteristics of a winning football team, these arent traits of a playoff football team... the O-line still sucks, its grown from terrible to average... when we got the protection guys got open and we made big plays, dalton made throws i didnt think he was even capable of, he had a solid game, but threw behind a wide open simpson and have some throws into traffic, rookie stuff, but if the ground game + that pass game isnt going to beat the half assed broncos team they put on the field... i fear the schedule is going to get BRUTAL in a few weeks.. i had chalked this game up as a easy victory, im not sure we beat the 49ers, and the bills are looking SUPERNASTY ( this is how we should have looked the last two weeks, they played bad opponents, we played bad opponents... we should have destroyed the broncos... I am not starting a pissing match, so please dont start one either... i just cant comprehend being stoked about LOSING a game to a COMPLETE SHIT team, missing half their defense, and missing many scoring opportunities to put the game away.... I dont understand why big stats and losing meant shitty players and coaches last year and means super awesome everything this year.....[/quote][quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1316492525' post='1034016']I dont have the patience to look through a gameday thread or read any other ridiculous fanfare. I have never witnessed a fanbase so bitter winning, and so happy losing. If it were 12 months ago, it would be all carsons fault, no one would care about the yards or completion percentage, we lost so he didnt get it done... but andy gets his dick sucked after losing. The defense gave up a few big plays, but they also gift wrapped some really short fields and the O walked away with field goals in both cases, converting even one of those two a TD wins the game. But the only thing being questioned is marvins fg on 4th and 1 call. I am pretty eager to see who, other than marvin it seems, is going to be the scape goat for losing, enemy #1 and #2 are gone. So its going to be SOMEONE... Recent years bitching: The offense doesnt sustain drives, or scores too fast and wears out the defense, they get winded, etc.. yet the offense this year has a worse TOP than each of the last two years. People blamed carson for throws that went right through chad and TO's hands in stride, and blame AJ and jerome for not making jumping backwords twisting in the air catches... AJ green might be a top 5 WR in the NFL, the guy is a badass. and jerome is a DAMN good #2, gresham is a beast, shipley WAS solid, and benson and scott are both VERY talented... all the weapons in the world, honestly, we should have converted BOTH turnovers into touchdowns against that defense.. with the guys the broncos had palying, they are a bottom 8 defense in the league. they have about half of the expected offseason starters on the defense... dumervil, bailey, warren, dj williams, and then miller got dinged up in the game too...think they lost a guy before the season as well.. we played a game on the way in, "try to find a broncos jersey a fan is wearing of a player who is actually going to play in the game" found a few folks in von miller jerseys... no bailey, elway, tebow(guess he did kinda play, once), lloyd, moreno, saw a few eddie royals, who also got hurt.. the bengals should have won this game, by a lot of points... if this series of play calls happened last year, there would be people throwing trash on everyone on the offense and staffs lawn: run, run, pass, run, run, punt... the board would be on fire... a 3rd and 1 in denver territory, deep pass call way overthrown, heads would roll, "bratkowski fucking stupid going deep only need 1 yard, pound benson, get it to leonard, etc..." we started a drive on the broncos 28 or so, on the broncos 41, and got to their side at the 48 i think, had a 3rd and 1, and out of those three possessions we got 6 points... we took a long sack on 3rd down without any timeouts at the end of the game, and threw a bomb into double coverage with 10+ seconds left on the following play on 4th down... all of these things would have been crucified last year... these arent characteristics of a winning football team, these arent traits of a playoff football team... the O-line still sucks, its grown from terrible to average... when we got the protection guys got open and we made big plays, dalton made throws i didnt think he was even capable of, he had a solid game, but threw behind a wide open simpson and have some throws into traffic, rookie stuff, but if the ground game + that pass game isnt going to beat the half assed broncos team they put on the field... i fear the schedule is going to get BRUTAL in a few weeks.. i had chalked this game up as a easy victory, im not sure we beat the 49ers, and the bills are looking SUPERNASTY ( this is how we should have looked the last two weeks, they played bad opponents, we played bad opponents... we should have destroyed the broncos... I am not starting a pissing match, so please dont start one either... i just cant comprehend being stoked about LOSING a game to a COMPLETE SHIT team, missing half their defense, and missing many scoring opportunities to put the game away.... I dont understand why big stats and losing meant shitty players and coaches last year and means super awesome everything this year.....[/quote][quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1316492525' post='1034016']I dont have the patience to look through a gameday thread or read any other ridiculous fanfare. I have never witnessed a fanbase so bitter winning, and so happy losing. If it were 12 months ago, it would be all carsons fault, no one would care about the yards or completion percentage, we lost so he didnt get it done... but andy gets his dick sucked after losing. The defense gave up a few big plays, but they also gift wrapped some really short fields and the O walked away with field goals in both cases, converting even one of those two a TD wins the game. But the only thing being questioned is marvins fg on 4th and 1 call. I am pretty eager to see who, other than marvin it seems, is going to be the scape goat for losing, enemy #1 and #2 are gone. So its going to be SOMEONE... Recent years bitching: The offense doesnt sustain drives, or scores too fast and wears out the defense, they get winded, etc.. yet the offense this year has a worse TOP than each of the last two years. People blamed carson for throws that went right through chad and TO's hands in stride, and blame AJ and jerome for not making jumping backwords twisting in the air catches... AJ green might be a top 5 WR in the NFL, the guy is a badass. and jerome is a DAMN good #2, gresham is a beast, shipley WAS solid, and benson and scott are both VERY talented... all the weapons in the world, honestly, we should have converted BOTH turnovers into touchdowns against that defense.. with the guys the broncos had palying, they are a bottom 8 defense in the league. they have about half of the expected offseason starters on the defense... dumervil, bailey, warren, dj williams, and then miller got dinged up in the game too...think they lost a guy before the season as well.. we played a game on the way in, "try to find a broncos jersey a fan is wearing of a player who is actually going to play in the game" found a few folks in von miller jerseys... no bailey, elway, tebow(guess he did kinda play, once), lloyd, moreno, saw a few eddie royals, who also got hurt.. the bengals should have won this game, by a lot of points... if this series of play calls happened last year, there would be people throwing trash on everyone on the offense and staffs lawn: run, run, pass, run, run, punt... the board would be on fire... a 3rd and 1 in denver territory, deep pass call way overthrown, heads would roll, "bratkowski fucking stupid going deep only need 1 yard, pound benson, get it to leonard, etc..." we started a drive on the broncos 28 or so, on the broncos 41, and got to their side at the 48 i think, had a 3rd and 1, and out of those three possessions we got 6 points... we took a long sack on 3rd down without any timeouts at the end of the game, and threw a bomb into double coverage with 10+ seconds left on the following play on 4th down... all of these things would have been crucified last year... these arent characteristics of a winning football team, these arent traits of a playoff football team... the O-line still sucks, its grown from terrible to average... when we got the protection guys got open and we made big plays, dalton made throws i didnt think he was even capable of, he had a solid game, but threw behind a wide open simpson and have some throws into traffic, rookie stuff, but if the ground game + that pass game isnt going to beat the half assed broncos team they put on the field... i fear the schedule is going to get BRUTAL in a few weeks.. i had chalked this game up as a easy victory, im not sure we beat the 49ers, and the bills are looking SUPERNASTY ( this is how we should have looked the last two weeks, they played bad opponents, we played bad opponents... we should have destroyed the broncos... I am not starting a pissing match, so please dont start one either... i just cant comprehend being stoked about LOSING a game to a COMPLETE SHIT team, missing half their defense, and missing many scoring opportunities to put the game away.... I dont understand why big stats and losing meant shitty players and coaches last year and means super awesome everything this year.....[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not a fan of all the moral victories. The team is young and raw though, it's different than last year where you expect a super bowl. I guess when your expectation is low, you can get happy for pretty much any success.

I guess it was a sign of confidence in Palmer and Co. You expected greatness. That's why last season was so rough.

Right now, nobody expects much from this team except for them not to be mean to each other, not twitter a whole lot, not get the #1 overall pick. Those are easy goals and when they are on pace to meet those lame goals, people are happy.

If this team shows any sign of long term progress, the bar will go up and people will start expecting more. It's a double edged sword for sure.

PS: What the hell was that Palmer, triple coverage? Jeez. I still love you though and will always love you for many awesome seasons and for raising expectations to championship levels. That in itself is a start. Hope this bunch gets us up that high.

To follow up on sois post and add my two cents...

I'm not happy about the loss, but let's not forget that Dalton, Green, and Gruden are rookies who had very little time to prepare for this season. Contrast that with the likes of Ocho, The Quitter, and Bratkowski, who had years of experience under their belts, and who still found numerous ways to not get the job done. If the three men I mentioned in the first sentence are still falling short two or three years from now, the excuses will be over and they'll be called out as well. But to compare guys who are brand new to the league and have had so little time to prepare, to seasoned veterans, and to have the same expectations for both, is unfair.

In your defense, though, I have no excuses for Simpson, Benson, Gresham, Scott, the defense, Marvin, or anyone else. But given their situations, the rookies are doing a helluva job, a much better job than anyone had reason to expect.

I don't think anyone is "happy" about the loss, but when all the "experts" are predicting your team to go 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13 or whatever, and you come to the realization that they may go 7-9 or 8-8 instead, there is reason for hope and optimism that the rebuilding may not last as long as so many are predicting. I think we are right to show patience, and that patience is a luxury that the likes of Ocho, The Quitter, and Bratkowski cashed in several years ago.

Carson was a 7 year veteran ace QB who, at one time, was mentioned in the same breath as Brady and Manning. If he sails a bad pass he gets his ass crucified. Chad is a 6 time pro bowler that broke damn near every record the team ever had. If he runs a wrong route or jumps the line of scrimmage he gets crucified. As for the play calling, we pretty much watched the exact same plays every single game for 5 years. Brat gets crucified.

This team now though, all young players that really haven't had a chance to gel with each other. They came into the league during a lock out and only had 2 weeks to practice before being thrown into the fire. If Dalton tosses a dud behind Green's back or sails one over Simpson's head, so be it. It will come together.

There is a huge difference between what a veteran team does and what a rookie team does. Problem is, last years Bengals didn't look any better than these guys. That's just fucking sad. At least these guys are showing improvement each week and I expect will look even better next.
MULLY

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1316496750' post='1034030']
To follow up on sois post and add my two cents...

I'm not happy about the loss, but let's not forget that Dalton, Green, and Gruden are rookies who had very little time to prepare for this season. Contrast that with the likes of Ocho and The Quitter, who had years of experience under their belts, and who still found numerous ways to not get the job done. If the three men I mentioned in the first sentence are still falling short two or three years from now, the excuses will be over and they'll be called out as well. But to compare guys who have had so little time to prepare, to seasoned veterans, and to have the same expectations for both, is unfair.

In your defense, though, I have no excuses for Simpson, Benson, Gresham, Scott, the defense, Marvin, or anyone else. But given their situations, the rookies are doing a helluva job, a much better job than anyone had reason to expect.

I don't think anyone is "happy" about the loss, but when all the "experts" are predicting your team to go 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13 or whatever, and you come to the realization that they may go 7-9 or 8-8 instead, there is reason for hope and optimism that the rebuilding may not last as long as so many are predicting. I think we are right to show patience, and that patience is a luxury that the likes of Ocho and The Quitter cashed in several years ago.
[/quote]

THIS!!!!
MULLY

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1316493845' post='1034021']
I usually bitched at stuff like this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7G4fLC7Dvk[/media]
[/quote]

God, it makes my head hurt just looking at Palmer. I'm so glad he's gone. And you know what, watching Green yesterday, I'm slowly getting over 85 being gone. Green makes me remember what it was like watching Chad when he really put his heart into it. You guys were absolutely right, getting rid of him was the right thing to do. I'll never hate on the guy though so you haters need to put your boners away, I'm not a new member into that club.
MULLY

There were plenty of "moral victories" in Carson's first year as a starter as well where he looked good (the New England game) and it was just exciting to think maybe we do have our QB of the future finally. It's hard to have moral victories when that player reaches age 30 and still has never accomplished a playoff win.

There will come a time when its all about Ws and Ls for Dalton, Green, Gresham, etc. Probably as soon as next season.

But speaking just for myself, its not necessarily all about the W/L record this specific year. I posted some stats pre-draft showing that there's a less than 10% chance of finding a franchise QB in the 2nd/3rd round. In most of those cases (Jimmy Claussen, etc.), it was obvious pretty quickly that the player didn't have "it."

So far, it is really looking like the Bengals hit the lottery with the Dalton pick (he seems to have "it") and that is more important than whether this team ends up finishing 5-11 or 6-10....

It all comes down to your perspective. It really looks like a rebuilding year to me (last year was an all in to win now year). In a rebuilding year, the most important question is "do we truly have a foundation upon which to build going forward?" I'll root for the team to win every game (and probably bitch a little bit about mistakes, bad coaching decisions, etc.), but at the end of each Sunday if I feel better about this team's foundation for future success AFTER the game than I did BEFORE the game, then I'm not going to piss and moan about things.

After the Broncos game I felt more optimistic about the next decade of Bengals football than I did before the game...

Go....we get it. You're still dickhurt over Carson and Bob being gone (you and Dan make sure to point out Dalton's flaws just about every chance you get), but to compare this year's team to last year's team is pure silliness. There is a completely different dynamic right now and the fans realize that this is a brand new work in progress. We're looking for signs of life and they are starting to emerge. So sue us if we take encouragement out of those signs. It sure beats the hell out of watching the same stale shit year after year.

Unlike most, I harbor no ill will towards Carson....he made a decision and stuck with it. I've moved on, as a fan just like he has as a member of this team. Now it's time to root on some new guys....and that I'll do as I have been since 1987.

I don't expect greatness, but they should be beating a team like Denver. I don't give a shit how much experience this team has. Denver is an absolute pile of shit. But a close game is a close game with so many young guys on offense, they're growing each game and will get better BUT...wait until opposing defenses start to get film on Gruden's offense. This season will get much uglier, especially when teams like the Ravens and Steelers start breaking down the tape. Prepare yourselves for some VERY frustrating games and a bad record. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it ending well and this board will be much angrier by week 10 than it is right now.

Christ.

It's not Andy Dalton's fault that Carson's not here.
It's not AJ Green's fault that Chad's not here.
It's not Jay Gruden's fault that Brat's not here.

We were on the cusp for the last several years, but couldn't get over the hump. Everything fell apart last year. It was time for some people to move on, time for changes. It's not all Carson's fault, it's not all Chad's fault and it's not all Brat's fault, but for whatever reasons, they couldn't get it done.

I'm going to support these guys, and I think they deserve support from what they've shown. They might end up being horrible, but even their harshest critics are seeing their potential. It's a lot more fun to root for them, than to look for reasons to hate on them. The Carson, Chad, Brat era is over. Time to move on.

I don't believe in "moral victories". It just way of accepting losing. And I hate losing. Don't get me wrong, when we play well against a really good team but don't win I am happy seeing progress. But I don't confuse that with being content.

I still hate losing.

There was no moral victory for the the Bronco game. They were missing key players on both sides of the ball. They had to use Tebow as a fucking WR. The Bengals are a better team. No excuses.

You know why teams finish 12-4 and others 4-12? Or why some teams make the playoffs and others teams don't? It's winning or losing games like we played Sunday. Plain and simple.

Moral victories don't count in the record. The league isn't going to come around and let us in the playoffs because of our moral victories.

I am not hitting the panic button. It was just the second game. But i still hate losing. We all should.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1316497233' post='1034033']

God, it makes my head hurt just looking at Palmer. I'm so glad he's gone. And you know what, watching Green yesterday, I'm slowly getting over 85 being gone. Green makes me remember what it was like watching Chad when he really put his heart into it[b]. You guys were absolutely right, getting rid of him was the right thing to do. I'll never hate on the guy though so you haters need to put your boners away, I'm not a new member into that club.[/b]
MULLY
[/quote]

I love this post . Especially this part ! :lol:

Go, the fuck you are not starting a pissing match, you peed in people faces and claimed you were not doing that.

(Radio edit)

To compare a rookie making his second ever start with Palmer of 2010 in terms of expectations is goddamn insane. Were expecations different for Palmer in his 8th year in Brat's systems than a rookie in his 6th week (counting training camp) of a new system? Why, yes. Is that so hard to goddamn understand?

What a fuckin' prick you continue to be.I keep thinking at some point you will snap out of it, but perhaps not.

This team and expectations are adjusted because of what fuckin' Palmer did and did not do (did...quit and did not... be a leader and stay with a team that had comitted to him). I guess since it is your goddamn board you can go around being an obtuse asshole about that reality, but it is reality. It must be extra uncomfortable given that Dalton is already making an impact that Palmer hasn't made in a long time.

This season in terms of expectations, is much like 1985 (first year of Boomer) and 2004 (first season starting for Carson). There is some slack given from fans who are not being angry insufferable cocks to see if the new signal caller can hack it.

That people are "content" with the loss simply means that they were pleased as hell with the initial progress from the new guy, who is borderline thriving in a difficult situation. It also reflects that most people, based on pre-season predictions thread, are between 4-6 wins for this team as it transitions to new players and a new offensive approach, and that success this year is measured in some things other than wins. Much like, again, 1985 and 2004.

Not that you will be man enough to admit that. Not when you are too busy pissing in people's faces and calling it rain.

PS to all: If this is my swan song here, its been real. See you in other spots.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1316492525' post='1034016']
I dont have the patience to look through a gameday thread or read any other ridiculous fanfare. I have never witnessed a fanbase so bitter winning, and so happy losing.

If it were 12 months ago, it would be all carsons fault, no one would care about the yards or completion percentage, we lost so he didnt get it done... but andy gets his dick sucked after losing.

The defense gave up a few big plays, but they also gift wrapped some really short fields and the O walked away with field goals in both cases, converting even one of those two a TD wins the game. But the only thing being questioned is marvins fg on 4th and 1 call.

I am pretty eager to see who, other than marvin it seems, is going to be the scape goat for losing, enemy #1 and #2 are gone. So its going to be SOMEONE...

Recent years bitching:

The offense doesnt sustain drives, or scores too fast and wears out the defense, they get winded, etc..

yet the offense this year has a worse TOP than each of the last two years.

People blamed carson for throws that went right through chad and TO's hands in stride, and blame AJ and jerome for not making jumping backwords twisting in the air catches...

AJ green might be a top 5 WR in the NFL, the guy is a badass. and jerome is a DAMN good #2, gresham is a beast, shipley WAS solid, and benson and scott are both VERY talented...

all the weapons in the world, honestly, we should have converted BOTH turnovers into touchdowns against that defense..

with the guys the broncos had palying, they are a bottom 8 defense in the league. they have about half of the expected offseason starters on the defense... dumervil, bailey, warren, dj williams, and then miller got dinged up in the game too...think they lost a guy before the season as well..

we played a game on the way in, "try to find a broncos jersey a fan is wearing of a player who is actually going to play in the game"

found a few folks in von miller jerseys... no bailey, elway, tebow(guess he did kinda play, once), lloyd, moreno, saw a few eddie royals, who also got hurt..

the bengals should have won this game, by a lot of points...

if this series of play calls happened last year, there would be people throwing trash on everyone on the offense and staffs lawn:

run, run, pass, run, run, punt... the board would be on fire...

a 3rd and 1 in denver territory, deep pass call way overthrown, heads would roll, "bratkowski fucking stupid going deep only need 1 yard, pound benson, get it to leonard, etc..."

we started a drive on the broncos 28 or so, on the broncos 41, and got to their side at the 48 i think, had a 3rd and 1, and out of those three possessions we got 6 points...

we took a long sack on 3rd down without any timeouts at the end of the game, and threw a bomb into double coverage with 10+ seconds left on the following play on 4th down...

all of these things would have been crucified last year...

these arent characteristics of a winning football team, these arent traits of a playoff football team...

the O-line still sucks, its grown from terrible to average... when we got the protection guys got open and we made big plays, dalton made throws i didnt think he was even capable of, he had a solid game, but threw behind a wide open simpson and have some throws into traffic, rookie stuff, but if the ground game + that pass game isnt going to beat the half assed broncos team they put on the field... i fear the schedule is going to get BRUTAL in a few weeks.. i had chalked this game up as a easy victory, im not sure we beat the 49ers, and the bills are looking SUPERNASTY ( this is how we should have looked the last two weeks, they played bad opponents, we played bad opponents...

we should have destroyed the broncos...

I am not starting a pissing match, so please dont start one either... i just cant comprehend being stoked about LOSING a game to a COMPLETE SHIT team, missing half their defense, and missing many scoring opportunities to put the game away....

I dont understand why big stats and losing meant shitty players and coaches last year and means super awesome everything this year.....
[/quote]

Shaelyn Fernades is that you? Has anyone ever seen Shaelyn Palmer and Go in the same room? :39:

Shaking my head at this thread.

I don't want to start a pissing match, but it appears one has already been started.

You ask how people can justify losing. I don't know that it is justified. It is what it is.
And how did you justify losing last year? You called people names for not accepting
or justifying losses last season.

This team was coming off a Playoff appearance before last season. They were touted as a legit
Super Bowl contender before the season began. They have 3 rookie starters on Offense.
Rookie starter at QB, Rookie starter at WR, Rookie starter at RG. A new starting RT from
last season. Both WRs are new to the starting lineup. Rookie OC. That's just the Offense alone.

You have 2 new starters on the DL. All 3 starting LBs are either new to the team or new to their position.
New starter at CB.

9 players that started with the Bengals during last year's regular season opener are either with new teams or out of the NFL completely (6 out of the NFL completely).
15 players that were on the 2010 roster are gone. All 3 QBs have been replaced.

I could go on. But I don't really think I'm saying anything that you didn't already know.

So you don't see the expectations from the masses are different? Last season they had the biggest crowds ever at TC.
This year, the smallest. The team is already announcing a blackout with a week to go, because the stadium is going to
be so empty.

I'm never content with losing. Matter of a fact, I been saying to anyone that will listen, since the game ended, I can't
believe the Bengals lost.

It seems to me that you're still pissed about Bratkowski. And you hate Dalton because he is Gruden's guy.

I mean, I never seen you act this way until Brat was fired and replaced. You were genuinely excited when
you heard Brat was going to be retained. Ever since he was canned though, you've been acting like the people
you used to call names.

The Bengals won last week, nothing much said from you at all. I mean, your first post after the WIN was you making
a thread trying to sell tickets. And unless I missed it, I have never seen you even aknowledge the WIN.

Anyway, it just seems to me you would at least portray a little more optimism and hope here. If for nothing else, so you can attract
members here, or maybe even sell your tickets?

That game was lost by Marvin and Gruden for the most part. There was no way we should have lost that game. The 3rd/4th and short playcalling was shit. Is Andy incappable of a QB sneak? Why are we running outside the guards on 3rd/4th and short? Don't we have 2 220lb plus pounding RBs named Benson and Leonard?

Why did we continue to throw long sideline passes that require a perfect touch to A, Hit the receiver in stride, B. Stay in bounds? Oh, its also in Denver which makes the passes float a good 5 yards further as well. We have a rookie QB, we need to make things a little simpler for him, not make him throw perfect All-Pro passes. Our biggest play came on a very simple pass up the middle. Don't we a 1st round draft choice named Gresham to help move the chains? Play action on 2nd and 8 was STUPID particulartly when they were showing blitz. Dalton never had a chance to set up and throw the ball either downfield or away.

What was with the totally predictable conservative playcalling in the first half? Its not like we had a 2 touchdown lead going into the 4th quarter and were trying to run down the clock. Yeah, Denver sucked ass in run coverage last week, this week they assumed we would try to run on them so they run blitzed every down. Someone should have figured that out before the first 30 minutes were up. Again, Gresham anyone?

BTW, I am here to tell you Rey is not the answer at MLB. I have never seen a guy take himself out of more plays than Rey. I have never seen a guy miss that many tackles except my son's 5th grade pee wee team. I really don't want to hear that its a technique thing that can be fixed. The guy is a 3rd year PROFESSIONAL football player, if he doesn't know how to properly tackle yet, that is a major issue. Still, Rey isn't why we lost Sunday.

Kicking a 53 yard field goal on 4th and 1 would have been a mistake. Nugent is a 36% field goal kicker at 50 yards plus. It was the right move not to kick a field goal.

Overall, the players played pretty well for the most part given this is week 2 and we basically have a new team offensively. I can't lay much of the blame on the players for this loss. Dalton did what he was asked to do and did it very well for a rookie. He still has a long way to go in terms of calling audibles based on coverage but that takes time.

Crocker did cost us 6 points no doubt. No explaination for what he did. Look at the tape and explain to me how he could have ever taken that angle and hit Clements. Clements was in perfect position to make the tackle.

Still, I didn't expect Dalton to do much at all the first few weeks so I am happy with his progression so far. He is the key to future success. Gruden is a rookie as well. He will need to calm down a bit and get his list of plays figured out. That takes time as well.

I feel sorry for the people who's rage over a past they can't change clouds their ability to see hope in the present. Even worse seems to be their inability to see it. I am sorry things in and out of football have been tough... 2010 was easily the worst year of my life. I lost loved ones, didn't face those losses to my own standards, and endured a crushing season of my favorite distraction. You have to let go sometime. You can't change yesterday. You can't control the present or the future. You can only choose how you will face each day.

In regards to Sunday's game, and this 2011 Bengals team, I choose to see the promise of the young guys, and to fully embrace the members of this year's team. The young guys made more good plays than bad, and the bad plays were young mistakes instead of limitations of talent. The defense disappointed, but those too looked like correctable issues. This year is going to be a process I intend to enjoy. I encourage others to enjoy it as well. Hating it is a choice some will make, but won't bring any more fulfillment than the 2010 season.

Hilarious that this topic was started by the same guy who in bad years used to make fun of people for not being able to enjoy "watching our young players grow" and other things of that nature. I guess growth is only fun to watch when the players and coaches you still like are on the team.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1316521136' post='1034065']
The loss should be blamed on our Defense. There is no way you should let a #4 wr school you like that. I know everyone here loves Zim, but I think he is overrated. No way should a Denver O that has that many injuries score 24 points on a D who's scheme has been in place for 3 years.
[/quote]
I know it's blasphemous to say around here, but our defense is still prone to giving up big plays, we are only marginally better at pass rushing, and linebackers are still a weakness.

Archived