THE CARSON PALMER THREAD (post everything about the quitter here)

oldschooler

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1319203835' post='1049434']

...and the ONLY reason people care that he quit on his teammates is because of the emotional investment they have in this team and this franchise. That emotional investment doesn't exist toward your business or company from the general public or to anyone outside the enterprise, really. Do you think anyone on this board gives a shit that some lacrosse player at some small, obscure college in Rhode Island quits on his teammates? Does anyone outside of P&G care that an upper manager walks out and leaves his department in a bind? No. They only care in this situation because he was spitting on the franchise that so many here have a lifelong emotional investment in. With all due respect, yours is the dumb analogy.
[/quote]

I would counter with the idea that most sports fans are irrational. If you care that much that a player leaves "your" team that you now hate him and wish ill upon him, you have problems. You are the one who chose to get emotionally invested in a corporation.

The players provide tangible evidence of stuff I can look back on and say I enjoyed. There are specific plays and moments I will remember. I am not attached to the logo or colors without regard to anything else. If the Bengals moved to L.A. tomorrow, I would still like them.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1319175765' post='1049390']
Can you guys stop being dicks with the scorned lover comments?

Please?
[/quote]

That's how some people degrade other's thoughts.

Just like when they call people homers, say they wear glasses, are blindly loyal,
call them apologists, ect.

I supported Carson against the masses last season. The funny thing is,
most wanted him gone until he quit. Then they acted like he was some
hero. I was the opposite. I supported him until he quit. That was indefensible
in my eyes.

Then you have Sois, who will flat out tell you he roots for players, not laundry.
He has a loyalty to Carson. I only rooted for Carson because he was drafted
by the Bengals. Had he been drafted by another team, I couldn't have cared
less about him. Now that he quit on my team and was traded to another,
I couldn't care less about him. He had no loyalty to my team, so why should
I have any loyalty to him now?

MB made him the highest paid player in the NFL after being the starter for only
2 years. And 3 years after being drafted. After he made Carson the highest
paid player in the NFL, he extended his Pro Bowl caliber Tackles to long term
deals, he extended his Pro Bowl Caliber WRs. He extended the Franchise RB
that held the record for yardage in a season. He also drafted a stud in Whit,
signed Coles, TO and Bryant at Palmer's request and kept players like Kenny
Watson and Reggie Kelly around at Palmer's request. Drafted Simpson,
Caldwell, Shipley and Gresham. Brought in Leonard and Benson.

Carson himself touted the 2010 Bengals as a legit Super Bowl contender.
He said there was no excuse. Then he goes out and throws a career high
INTs, quits and points the finger at everyone but himself. He quit.

Getting rid of Brat, Chad, TO and the medical staff didn't matter.
Hiring a new OC and drafting AJ didn't matter. He quit.

Pussy whipped. Indefensible quitter. I hope he fails. His failure equals
Bengals success as far as higher draft picks. So my only interest in
watching him is to watch him fail.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1319205788' post='1049446']

That's how some people degrade other's thoughts.

Just like when they call people homers, say they wear glasses, are blindly loyal,
call them apologists, ect.

I supported Carson against the masses last season. The funny thing is,
most wanted him gone until he quit. Then they acted like he was some
hero. I was the opposite. I supported him until he quit. That was indefensible
in my eyes.

Then you have Sois, who will flat out tell you he roots for players, not laundry.
He has a loyalty to Carson. I only rooted for Carson because he was drafted
by the Bengals. Had he been drafted by another team, I couldn't have cared
less about him. Now that he quit on my team and was traded to another,
I couldn't care less about him. He had no loyalty to my team, so why should
I have any loyalty to him now?

MB made him the highest paid player in the NFL after being the starter for only
2 years. And 3 years after being drafted. After he made Carson the highest
paid player in the NFL, he extended his Pro Bowl caliber Tackles to long term
deals, he extended his Pro Bowl Caliber WRs. He extended the Franchise RB
that held the record for yardage in a season. He also drafted a stud in Whit,
signed Coles, TO and Bryant at Palmer's request and kept players like Kenny
Watson and Reggie Kelly around at Palmer's request. Drafted Simpson,
Caldwell, Shipley and Gresham. Brought in Leonard and Benson.

Carson himself touted the 2010 Bengals as a legit Super Bowl contender.
He said there was no excuse. Then he goes out and throws a career high
INTs, quits and points the finger at everyone but himself. He quit.

Getting rid of Brat, Chad, TO and the medical staff didn't matter.
Hiring a new OC and drafting AJ didn't matter. He quit.

Pussy whipped. Indefensible quitter. I hope he fails. His failure equals
Bengals success as far as higher draft picks. So my only interest in
watching him is to watch him fail.
[/quote]

Could not have said it better myself! :41: :41: :41:

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1319206292' post='1049450']

Could not have said it better myself! :41: :41: :41:
[/quote]

Yeah you could have. Old starts off saying he defending Carson against the masses last season. Then says he supported up until he quit. Then goes on to point out what a failure he was in 2010 due to this reason and that reason.

You are defending a sub performing QB just because he's a bengal and now your hating that same QB because he's not a bengal.

Now I don't want to step into a nice little discussion but that sounds a whole lot scorn lover to me, sorry it does. That shit don't line up just right.

At the end of the day, it's a game. I think Carson did get fucked a little bit while he was here. Brat was awful... Chad was useless... Fucking Roland? I mean, shit. Dalton would be getting so much hate if he had Carson's offense last year. It was time for him to go and maybe him doing so was influential for the Brat fire? It also got us Dalton and 2 high draft picks. Thanks for everything Carson... It was a mutually positive departure.

Just so it doesn't look like I'm taking shots at Old. It was time for Carson to go. The only thing we had to suffer through was Mike being forced into it and then letting it play out on his terms. Which turned out fucking great.

Carson followed a long line of shitty QBs and shitty seasons. Had a great short run. Came in with a loaded cast that was experienced in a system and playing at their prime. We rushed him to greatness standing only to be let down when things started to overturn.

Carson gave up his chance to prove he could return to greatness while starting over with the Bengals.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1319207397' post='1049456']

Yeah you could have. Old starts off saying he defending Carson against the masses last season. Then says he supported up until he quit. Then goes on to point out what a failure he was in 2010 due to this reason and that reason.

Either your defending a sub performing QB just because a bengal and now your hating that same QB because he's not.

Now I don't want to step into a nice little discussion but that sounds a whole lot scorn lover to me, sorry it does. That shit don't line up just right.
[/quote]

It's pretty simple. I support players that are on my team.
I supported Jerome Simpson for years and he hadn't even seen the field.
Their success equals Bengals success.

Yes Carson had a pretty bad 2010 season. He threw a career high INTs and 5 game killing pick 6's.
But that doesn't mean he didn't have my support. That doesn't mean I turned against him.

And that doesn't mean I faulted him for all the losing. The Bengals lost 3 games last season where
the Offense scored 30 points. They lost 8 games in all by a TD or less. No way you can lay all of that
at Carson's feet. But Carson DID have a hand in the losing. Still, I supported him. I thought he just had
a bad season. If he would have came back in 2011, hopes would have still been high that that was the case.
Ecspecially with a new OC, Chad and TO gone and a stud like AJ Green and maybe another Offensive Lineman
or other weapon with that 2nd round pick he FORCED the Bengals to use on Dalton.

But he quit. There is no scorned lover there. It is a player quitting on my team.
That's indefensible. Carson was the highest paid player. The annointed leader.
He couldn't even lead his household, much less a bunch of alpha males.

I am actually happy that Carson made MB draft Dalton and that the we got 2 high draft picks for him.

There is no hate. I don't have time for hate. The only reason I supported Carson
is because of the team he played for. And I already stated why. The reason I hope
for his failure is it will help the team I root for. The for sure 1st round pick in 2012
means more to me than what I percieve as a bonus pick in 2013. A 2nd round pick
in 2013 is a bonus. I have no reason to root for the Raiders success, for what I see as a bonus already.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1319207594' post='1049458']
Old has those talking points down pat.
[/quote]

And yet, you have no real comment for them.

Why should I? You aren't going to change your mind.

You've burned these bullet points into your responses regarding CP. I can't change that.

What I can challenge is your BS line: [b]There is no hate. I don't have time for hate. [/b]

"Fuck him, I hope he rots, I hope he fails"-type comments dances all around hate. You most certainly seem like you hate him. You aren't even indifferent, it's pure vitriol and vile comments. I would say that you do hate him.

Don't be ashamed brother, it's cool to hate stuff. I love to hate stuff.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1319208884' post='1049470']
Why should I? You aren't going to change your mind.

You've burned these bullet points into your responses regarding CP. I can't change that.

What I can challenge is your BS line: [b]There is no hate. I don't have time for hate. [/b]

"Fuck him, I hope he rots, I hope he fails"-type comments dances all around hate. You most certainly seem like you hate him. You aren't even indifferent, it's pure vitriol and vile comments. I would say that you do hate him.

Don't be ashamed brother, it's cool to hate stuff. I love to hate stuff.
[/quote]

I say Fuck you to you too. That doesn't mean I hate you.
It means you get on my nerves sometimes. Well, almost all the time.
Still, I don't hate you. If I hated you, I would just put you on ignore
or ban you. The end. Instead, when talking to you or about you,
I just say Fuck you, you're stupid and other things like that.

I really couldn't care less about Carson. This is Andy's team now.
Andy has my full support and I am as happy and optimistic about
the QB position as I have been for quite sometime.

I root for his failure so it helps the Bengals get a higher 2012 draft pick.
I already said as much.

And I already said in another thread, I don't hate all former players and/or coaches. I just don't really care anywhere near
as much about them or their success on the football field. I have no hate for Chad or Carson. I just don't have any love.

It's that simple.

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/TVKiese"]TVKiese[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]John Kiesewetter[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[i]by TomGroeschen[/i] [/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
This just in: Ch 12 will air Carson Palmer's Raiders debut 4pm Sunday against KC Chiefs. [url="http://t.co/DSdEDGDU"]cin.ci/qLv3eu[/url][/font]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1319211514' post='1049497']
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/TVKiese"]TVKiese[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]John Kiesewetter[/size][/color]

[color=#999999][size=2][i]by TomGroeschen[/i] [/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]This just in: Ch 12 will air Carson Palmer's Raiders debut 4pm Sunday against KC Chiefs. [url="http://t.co/DSdEDGDU"]cin.ci/qLv3eu[/url][/font]
[/quote]

Sweet. I think the Jets were supposed to be on and watching them is hard on the eyes.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1319207397' post='1049456']

You are defending a sub performing QB just because he's a bengal and now your hating that same QB because he's not a bengal.

[/quote]

Scham, I supported the quitter when he wasn't the quitter, now that he has proven himself as a quitter, I don't really give a flying fuck about him. Scorned lover bullshit would mean he impacts my life and he nor anyone else on the Bengals impact my life. They, like you, are simply entertainment.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1319137430' post='1049203']I will be rooting for the raiders to lose their next [s]10[/s] [b]26[/b] in a row and turn the pick they are sending to cincy into a top 7 or so pick.[/quote]

Fixed. Let's get the 1st (and 32nd) pick in 2013 too.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1319211514' post='1049497']

[color=#999999][size=2][i]by TomGroeschen[/i] [/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]This just in: Ch 12 will air Carson Palmer's Raiders debut 4pm Sunday against KC Chiefs. [url="http://t.co/DSdEDGDU"]cin.ci/qLv3eu[/url][/font]
[/quote]

"There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done besides worrying about a football game."

B)

Confirmed: Channel 12 [b]WILL[/b] be showing the Raider game this Sunday.

[b]Can someone please change the thread title?[/b]

http://www.local12.com/content/special_coverage/story/Local-12-Will-Carry-Oakland-Raiders-Game-on-Sunday/yavInD4X3UCBcHeVSlDbgA.cspx

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1319204840' post='1049439']

I would counter with the idea that most sports fans are irrational. If you care that much that a player leaves "your" team that you now hate him and wish ill upon him, you have problems. You are the one who chose to get emotionally invested in a corporation.

The players provide tangible evidence of stuff I can look back on and say I enjoyed. There are specific plays and moments I will remember. I am not attached to the logo or colors without regard to anything else. If the Bengals moved to L.A. tomorrow, I would still like them.
[/quote]

Sports fans are most definitely irrational. On that, you and I agree. I never said that I "hate him" or "wish ill upon him", and I don't. I don't know him as a person, but from what I can gather from following his career, he's a pretty good guy. I wish him the very best in his marriage, with his kids, his possessions, his investments, etc. etc. But when he takes the football field, I hope he falls flat on his ass. That is not irrational, at all.

Many years ago, I played softball with a couple of guys who decided that our team was not up to their standards, and they moved to the "elite" team of the area. It offended me that we weren't "good enough for them", and I hoped that they fell flat on their asses with their new team. I still liked them as guys, even hung out with them from time to time, but that was on a personal level. On the "sports" level (amateur softball, in this case), they were an enemy to be despised and defeated when we stepped between the chalk lines.

Same goes for Palmer. Nothing against him as a person, because I don't know him. But if he feels that the Bengals aren't good enough for him, I hope he is SO wrong. I hope he falls on his ass so that it will be proven that the problem lied more in his loss of talent than in the organization he abandoned. If he returns to Pro Bowl form and becomes an elite QB, I'll tip my hat to him and acknowledge that he was right -- that he [i][b]was[/b][/i] better than the organization and was right to want out. If he doesn't, I'll take joy in his decision not being rewarded.

I had dudes leave my football team and I still like them. But I play for the team, so of course I will cheer for my team over theirs. None of us here play or even have anything to do with the Bengals except giving them money as customers.

I will still cheer for the Bengals over the Raiders. I like about 45 or so Bengals and 1 Raider. Easy call.

I will cheer for the Raiders above the Stealers or most any NFL team cause I still like Palmer, he was good for the Bengals, I won't forget his contributions or his beatdowns of the Ravens. I will always be thankful for those.

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter"]AdamSchefter[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Adam Schefter[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
Two people familiar with situation believe it is unlikely Carson Palmer will start Sunday, though no final decision has been made.[/font]

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/127445006872096768"]1 minute ago[/url] [size=2][url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]

So in our local market, instead of the 4:15 game they were going to be showing, they will be showing this one? I know channel 12 will show it..but my channel 12 isn't the same as people in Cincinnati. I'm assuming thats the CBS affiliate?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1319220592' post='1049567']
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter"]AdamSchefter[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Adam Schefter[/size][/color]

Two people familiar with situation believe it is unlikely Carson Palmer will start Sunday, though no final decision has been made.

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/127445006872096768"]1 minute ago[/url] [size=2][url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="http://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]
[/quote]

That would be pretty hilarious... If Channel 12 scrambled to try and land the game, only to get turned down, then pull some strings to finally get it done, only to have Carson sit.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1319220638' post='1049568']
So in our local market, instead of the 4:15 game they were going to be showing, they will be showing this one? I know channel 12 will show it..but my channel 12 isn't the same as people in Cincinnati. I'm assuming thats the CBS affiliate?
[/quote]

Yes, CBS

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1319215314' post='1049523']

"There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done besides worrying about a football game."

B)
[/quote]

Or garages to clean.

Don't know why everyone wants to watch Kyle Boller anyway.

:ninja:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1319220592' post='1049567']

Two people familiar with situation believe it is unlikely Carson Palmer will start Sunday, though no final decision has been made.

[/quote]
Wow, if true, this is a pretty radical turn of events. Raiders said the other day that Carson would start if he was breathing. I wonder if the above is just inaccurate, of if Carson maybe isn't as "ready to go to war" as the Raiders had hoped???

Archived