Is Andy Dalton the long term answer for the Cincinnati Bengals?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1320882467' post='1059636']

Nah, if you are prepared to fall on your face, you can brace yourself better. That's what my tenure as a Bengals fan has taught me. The one time I let my guard down, Kimo blindsided me. I was in a coma for hours after that moment.
[/quote]

If you think that was the worst, you are a lucky Bengals fan indeed.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320885216' post='1059653']

If you think that was the worst, you are a lucky Bengals fan indeed.
[/quote]

What was worse? At least the Super Bowl teams had a shot. The 2005 Bengals never got a chance to even explode from the blocks. Well, one explosive play. Taht's it.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1320886175' post='1059658']

What was worse? At least the Super Bowl teams had a shot. The 2005 Bengals never got a chance to even explode from the blocks. Well, one explosive play. Taht's it.
[/quote]

You might want to read up on Stanley Wilson, and the injury to Krumrie, before making a comparison.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320887114' post='1059661']

You might want to read up on Stanley Wilson, and the injury to Krumrie, before making a comparison.
[/quote]

I know of those dudes. What I'm saying is that the Bengals you saw at least had a chance to win the Super Bowl.

When Kitna came in the game, everyone knew it was over.

Andy Dalton has shown me a lot more positives than negatives so far. His pocket presence and awareness and leadership are qualities that separate the great QB's from the very good ones and that bodes well for him.

But if I could predict the success or failure on Andy or any other player in the NFL after just 8 games I would be applying to every NFL front office because as soon as they find out about my telepathic ability I am going to be in high demand.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1320887369' post='1059662']

I know of those dudes. What I'm saying is that the Bengals you saw at least had a chance to win the Super Bowl.

When Kitna came in the game, everyone knew it was over.
[/quote]

Its never over until the whistle blows.

[size=6][b]Clark: Can’t compare Dalton to Palmer right now[/b][/size]

8:05 pm, Nov 9, 2011 | Written by jreedy

Count the Steelers defense among those who have a healthy respect for Bengals QB Andy Dalton. Safety Ryan Clark said during a conference call on Wednesday that the Bengals coaches are calling a very intelligent game for him and that Dalton has quickly developed a good trust with his receivers.

Clark noted that the biggest thing he has been impressed with is the Bengals belief in Dalton as a leader.

“He has great moxie for a young quarterback and he’s doing an extremely good job for those guys,” Clark said.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark on Andy Dalton "He has great moxie for a young quarterback and he’s doing an extremely good job for those guys.”

When it comes to the Steelers record against rookie QBs, Clark thinks the secret to their recent success is the complexity of LeBeau’s scheme and that it requires a quarterback to make quick decisions on the run. Clark though points to the Bengals winning streak and rallying from a 10-point halftime deficit last week at Tennessee as reasons why Dalton is no ordinary rookie.

While others have tried to compare Dalton to Carson Palmer, Clark said it was too early to even attempt to do that.

“To me, that’s like saying Andy Dalton’s a better quarterback than Carson Palmer ever was,” Clark said. “They’re a better team than they were last year, which is obvious by the record. Whether it’s all Andy Dalton, I don’t know. But they’re winning football games with this guy being their leader and with this guy being at the helm. So you just have to look at what he’s doing in the present and take Andy Dalton as Andy Dalton; you can’t compare him to quarterbacks of the past.”

Facing Dick LeBeau’s unit can frustrate seasoned veterans but it has been an excruciating challenge for rookies. Since LeBeau returned to the Steelers as defensive coordinator in 2004, rookies are 1-9 when facing Pittsburgh for the first time.

“We’ll found out what we’re made of,” offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. “We’ve played some very good defenses already but Pittsburgh is in their own category. The physicality they bring to the table every week, it will be a great challenge for us.”

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/11/09/clark-cant-compare-dalton-to-palmer-right-now/

All these 5 pages, and 108 responses to answer, "yes"

He's shown this much progress in only 3 months of playing with the team..

If you think he doesn't have the arm strength, check out the pass flat footed, 45 yards in the air, on target in tight coverage, against the Seahawks.

C'mon man!

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1320892008' post='1059692']
All these 5 pages, and 108 responses to answer, "yes"

He's shown this much progress in only 3 months of playing with the team..

If you think he doesn't have the arm strength, check out the pass flat footed, 45 yards in the air, on target in tight coverage, against the Seahawks.

C'mon man!
[/quote]
But Carson had the arm strength to overthrow that pass and have it returned for a pick-6, dammit!

From Jesse Palmer ...

[b]The Real Deal[/b]

If you were watching the NFL Draft back in April, you may have been wondering how TCU QB [url="http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=andy+dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url] was able to climb into the second round and be drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals. After nine weeks of the NFL season, you are probably now wondering why Dalton wasn't a top 10 pick.

The Bengals rookie QB has already thrown 12 TD passes, the most ever by a rookie QB in his first eight games of the season, and a result, the Bengals are 6-2 and tied atop the AFC North division.

How is he doing it? I think Dalton possesses all of the traits required to be successful in the NFL. I remember watching him at the Manning Passing Academy two years ago, and being so impressed with his accuracy, football IQ, and athleticism. What stood out the most to me was his ability to anticipate when throwing to receivers, oftentimes releasing the football long before his intended targets had run out of their breaks. Watching the Bengals this year, what's even more impressive is the chemistry that Dalton has been able to develop with fellow rookie WR AJ Green and TE [url="http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=jermaine+gresham"]Jermaine Gresham[/url] early this year. The Bengals have a very young core of playmakers at the skill positions on offence, yet they look as if they're seasoned veterans.

In fairness, I think [url="http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=andy+dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url] has also benefited from a great defense, as the Bengals are currently only allowing less than 18 points per game. Dalton is getting more possessions in games, and because of that he doesn't have to take unnecessary risks with the football. The fact that the Bengals were comfortable trading away QB [url="http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=carson+palmer"]Carson Palmer[/url] is a direct indictment on how they feel about their rookie pivot. They believe that he is the future of the franchise, and after acquiring two potential first round picks from the deal, the Bengals can now continue to build around Dalton.

It's important to note that the Bengals have yet to play division rivals Pittsburgh or Baltimore, so we're about to find out just how good [url="http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=andy+dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url] really is. While many people have been raving about [url="http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=cam+newton"]Cam Newton[/url]'s statistics, the other rookie signal caller has been winning games. Because of that, he's been every bit as impressive through the first half of this year's regular season.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/jesse_palmer/?id=380077

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1320862951' post='1059451']
Don't know where else to put this, so I will put it here:

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Relevant for discussion of what are reasonable expectations for Dalton against Pittsburgh this weekend:[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 1[/size][sup][size=2]st[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers after two training camps and one year of sitting and watching:[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]20 of 37 (54.1%) for 164 yards 1 TD 2 INTs QB rating of 62.1 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 2[/size][sup][size=2]nd[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers:[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]13 of 25 (52%) for 165 yards 2 TDs 1 INT QB rating of 82.9 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 3[/size][sup][size=2]rd[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers (game 6 of 2005):[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]21 of 36 (58.3%) for 227 yards 0 TDs 2 INTs QB rating of 53.8 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 4[/size][sup][size=2]th[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers: [/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]22 of 38 (57.9%) for 227 yards 3 TDs 0 INTs QB rating of 101.5 (Bengals won)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Palmer’s career record against the Steelers in 12 starts?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]4-8 [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000](I am not counting 2005 playoff loss)(CP missed both games against the Steelers in 2008)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]All of which is to say, “fair” expectations for Andy Dalton in this game against the Steelers look to be a completion percentage around 53% for 165 yards with a 1 TD and 1 INT. That’s the baseline that Palmer showed in his first shots at the Steelers as a youngish starter in 2004. Any game-playing with expectations from certain members/owners of this board should at least be based in fact with reference to what came before Dalton.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]My two cents.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]And there's this: rookie QBs are 1-12 against the Steelers under Lebeau as coordinator.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Thought I would add onto this. Here are the rest of Carson's games against the Steelers:

2006:

18 for 26 (69.2%) for 193 yards 4 TDs 2 INTs QB rating 98.2 (Bengals win) (this was probably his best game against the Steelers)

20 for 38 (52.6%) for 251 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs QB rating 91 (Bengals loss - Shayne Graham game)

2007:

23 for 31 (74.2%) for 205 yards 1 TD 0 INTs QB rating 102.2 (Bengals loss) (this was his high-water QB rating and % game)

17 for 44 (38.6%) for 183 yards 0 TD 0 INT QB rating 51.6 (Bengals loss)

2008:

No games

2009:

20 for 37 (54.1%) for 183 yards 1 TD 0 INT QB rating 76.7 (Bengals win)

18 fo 30 (60%) for 178 yards 0 TD 0 INT QB rating 76.8 (Bengals win)

2010:

22 for 36 (61.1%) for 248 yards 2 TD 1 INT QB rating 88.7 (Bengals loss)

20 for 32 (62.5%) for 178 yards 1 TD 3 INTs QB rating 48.7 (Bengals loss)

So that's the complete picture. Most yards Carson EVER threw for against the Steelers was 251. That's it. A more typical game for Carson against the Steelers was under or right around 200 yards thrown. In fact, his career average YPG against the Steelers is right at 200 yards per game over 12 games. 17 TDs and 11 INTs in the 12 games.

Side note from the now hidden thread based on this research...the benchmark numbers for Dalton for his first game out against Pittsburgh set for that craptacular wager by Go were completely unreasonable. Then again, why am I not surprised.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1320932540' post='1059829']
As many of you know I am not usually one to do this but I think it's time to take a big drink......

[img]http://www.vaq34.com/junk/ktm_kool-aid.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

It's time for us to change our drink from kool aid to a nice refreshing
[img]http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/canada-dry-ginger-ale.jpg[/img]

:fistpump:

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1320959179' post='1060048']
DALTON IS A FUCKING STUD. [b]Click that green arrow if you agree.[/b]

I want his jersey for Christmas - a black one and a white one.
[/quote]

I agree, but, sorry, I'm not giving away rep that easy. :)

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1320933002' post='1059835']

Thought I would add onto this. Here are the rest of Carson's games against the Steelers:

2006:

18 for 26 (69.2%) for 193 yards 4 TDs 2 INTs QB rating 98.2 (Bengals win) (this was probably his best game against the Steelers)

20 for 38 (52.6%) for 251 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs QB rating 91 (Bengals loss - Shayne Graham game)

2007:

23 for 31 (74.2%) for 205 yards 1 TD 0 INTs QB rating 102.2 (Bengals loss) (this was his high-water QB rating and % game)

17 for 44 (38.6%) for 183 yards 0 TD 0 INT QB rating 51.6 (Bengals loss)

2008:

No games

2009:

20 for 37 (54.1%) for 183 yards 1 TD 0 INT QB rating 76.7 (Bengals win)

18 fo 30 (60%) for 178 yards 0 TD 0 INT QB rating 76.8 (Bengals win)

2010:

22 for 36 (61.1%) for 248 yards 2 TD 1 INT QB rating 88.7 (Bengals loss)

20 for 32 (62.5%) for 178 yards 1 TD 3 INTs QB rating 48.7 (Bengals loss)

So that's the complete picture. Most yards Carson EVER threw for against the Steelers was 251. That's it. A more typical game for Carson against the Steelers was under or right around 200 yards thrown. In fact, his career average YPG against the Steelers is right at 200 yards per game over 12 games. 17 TDs and 11 INTs in the 12 games.

Side note from the now hidden thread based on this research...the benchmark numbers for Dalton for his first game out against Pittsburgh set for that craptacular wager by Go were completely unreasonable. Then again, why am I not surprised.
[/quote]

I just wanted to quote this for easy finding later on because this post, as well as the post you quoted are a real eye opener statistics-wise.

I would like to see 60% completetion and TDs greater than or equal to INTs. If we take care of the football on offense I think the defense will keep the game within reach and it will be fun to see Andy and Co. operate against this D when the game is on the line. It will be extra fun because he's played so well that (IMO) there is this looming feeling of inevitability where he will come back down to earth and have a terrible game. The unknown has made for so much more suspense and added entertainment to this season that a bigger stage will only bring more excitement. Here's hoping we prevail and Andy fends off that demon another week.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LanceMcAlister"]LanceMcAlister[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Lance McAlister[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
"It's about time everybody wake-up and take note of what Andy Dalton and the Benglas are doing"-Ron Jaworski on ESPN Radio[/font]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LanceMcAlister/status/135000477908742145"]4 minutes ago[/url] [size=2][url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]

A question in Bill Simmons' mailbag:

[color=#000000][font=Georgia,][size=3]
[b]Q: Can't we just call Andy Dalton "Shawshank"? It's right in front of us: Red and Andy.
— Joe, Winston-Salem[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia,][size=3]
SG: (Furious that I didn't think of that first.)[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1321023375' post='1060375']
No, Andy is not the long tern answer. He will only be a Pro Bowl QB here for about 15 years. We need to be sure to make plans for what we are going to do after that.
[/quote]
:thumbsup:

Archived