I like drafting some more Defensive Linemen. I think the '10 Giants, who took a DE and a DT with the top two picks after winning the Superbowl on the backs of their D-Linemen in '09, are a good example of how improving your strengths is just as important as shoring up your weaknesses.

[quote name='#22' timestamp='1325527640' post='1083226']
I [i]really[/i] hope they don't even look at Janoris Jenkins.
[/quote]
Has he been kicked off any teams like Bernard Scott was? Remember Scott was supposed to be a huge character risk guy too. I hope the Bengals do their homework on the guy because our secondary needs help

I would say on average we usually end up signing 2 free agents that end up being starters. Getting rid of cp also saved like 12 mil next year. I would be shocked if we didnt sign 2 or 3 FA starters. My hope is we sign one solid starting OG and one stud safety. Maybe running back if you can get a guy like bush from Oakland. If you can somehow do all 3 of those, you can then go OG an CB with the first rounders and from there on our bpa.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1325535323' post='1083286']
Has he been kicked off any teams like Bernard Scott was? Remember Scott was supposed to be a huge character risk guy too. I hope the Bengals do their homework on the guy because our secondary needs help
[/quote]

if we get him in round 6, like Bernard, then I argree with you.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1325532396' post='1083274']

Howard is here for 2.
[/quote]

Good. Not sure I want Lawson back yet... he really hasn't done much, IMO. I'd like to see what Rivers can do with a year off. Plus, with Moch and Muck back, and Skuta, that's pretty solid. I do like Kuechly at LB, but that position is a lesser need relative to OL, DB and RB.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1325535558' post='1083289']
I would say on average we usually end up signing 2 free agents that end up being starters. Getting rid of cp also saved like 12 mil next year. I would be shocked if we didnt sign 2 or 3 FA starters. My hope is we sign one solid starting OG and one stud safety. Maybe running back if you can get a guy like bush from Oakland. If you can somehow do all 3 of those, you can then go OG an CB with the first rounders and from there on our bpa.
[/quote]
I hope the Bengals take most of their cap space and use it to lock up their own young playmakers on offense and defense. After that I would target the Saints' Carl Nicks at OG, the Redskins' Laron Landry at safety and the Ravens' Ledarius Webb at CB

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1325535665' post='1083291']

if we get him in round 6, like Bernard, then I argree with you.
[/quote]
Even without the character issues Scott wasn't going in round 1. Maybe this guy could fall to round 2 or 3 but with the way secondaries got shredded this year I.expect CB to be high on every team's wish list

I imagine a lot of carsons money will be used for genome and Dunlap and andy at some point.

Ashlon looked good today. Really hope we can get decastro though. Glenn wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if decastro falls through.

If sims leaves we could be in the market for a big nose tackle kind of guy too. Big run stuffer to help out in the rotation.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1325536931' post='1083307']
Even without the character issues Scott wasn't going in round 1. Maybe this guy could fall to round 2 or 3 but with the way secondaries got shredded this year I.expect CB to be high on every team's wish list
[/quote]

Either way a 6th round pick is minimal risk. A first round pick is a HUGE risk and Jenkins had trouble at N. Alabama too.

I wouldn't take him in 1. I [i]might[/i] consider him in 2. And this is a fairly deep draft for CBs, so I'd rather take one that isn't a repeat proven knucklehead.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1325541142' post='1083349']

Either way a 6th round pick is minimal risk. A first round pick is a HUGE risk and Jenkins had trouble at N. Alabama too.

I wouldn't take him in 1. I [i]might[/i] consider him in 2. And this is a fairly deep draft for CBs, so I'd rather take one that isn't a repeat proven knucklehead.
[/quote]

With Hall probably back, and Adam Jones insurance for Clements falling off a bit, we could probably get by with a guy drafted later.
Where do we need help?

OG needs 2 starters - Bobbie may not be back and is nearing the end. RG needs help.
RB - Ced insurance needed
LB needs 1 - but Lawson / Rivers could both be back if we want them, plus Muck and Moch are on the roster.
CB - see above
S - Crocker replacement/insurance needed. is Mays the answer, or the draft?
DT/DE - Sims might be gone. Not really needed in early rounds.
WR - probably stand pat unless Jerome leaves / gets jailed
OT - depth only
TE - like what we have
FB - ditto

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1325542830' post='1083377']
A. Dennard just got ejected for throwing punches with Alshon Jeffrey ... oops! We need to Re-Sign Thomas Howard right away to a 4-5 year deal.
[/quote]

Jeffrey got ejected too (this was like 3 hours ago btw, lol). I'd still take Dennard. I like the way he pushed around Jeffrey all day, even though Jeffrey was much bigger. Dennard has also played well against Justin Blackmon and other big time receivers.

I also really like Casey Heyward from Vanderbilt but he may not be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1325543249' post='1083385']

Jeffrey got ejected too (this was like 3 hours ago btw, lol). I'd still take Dennard. I like the way he pushed around Jeffrey all day, even though Jeffrey was much bigger. Dennard has also played well against Justin Blackmon and other big time receivers.

I also really like Casey Heyward from Vanderbilt but he may not be there when we pick in the 2nd round.
[/quote]

When i said he "just" got ejected I meant it happened in today's game not that exact minute ;) I wonder if players losing their cool from Nebraska is due to lack of coaching. We have seen more than enough of it from Dirty Suh and now Dennard is throwing blows on a national stage in the biggest game of his career.

One of the Mocks has the Bengals drafting Heyward in the 3rd round.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1325543915' post='1083391']

When i said he "just" got ejected I meant it happened in today's game not that exact minute ;) I wonder if players losing their cool from Nebraska is due to lack of coaching. We have seen more than enough of it from Dirty Suh and now Dennard is throwing blows on a national stage in the biggest game of his career.

One of the Mocks has the Bengals drafting Heyward in the 3rd round.
[/quote]

as far as dennard vs suh goes, I don't think Dennard has any history of it. I didn't watch a lot of the game, but judging by the video package they showed dennard played jeffrey very physical (legally) and finally jeffrey had enough and started a fight. Dennard wasn't the one that started the fight from what I saw (not that he should have thrown a punch).

Here's a mock draft [i]concept[/i] I would be fine with:
[b]QB[/b]- No need. I think carrying two this season has been one of the best GM moves of the year, and we aren't going to out draft Gradkowski.
[b]RB[/b]- High need. Benson drives me crazy, and Bernard Scott is [b]very average[/b]. There are honestly guys on the street who could do what he did this season. Leonard is a good receiver out of the backfield, but not "the guy" and Peerman is an unknown. I think you add two more guys via FA or the draft and let the 6 duke it out. Maybe a 2nd round guy and a 6th or 7th tweener who can play...
[b]FB[/b]- Little need. Chris Pressley (who is actually wearing normal glasses in his team photo...check it out) doesn't get many chances to touch the ball. While offensive assistant at Tampa, Jay Gruden had one of the best FBs of all time (Mike Alstott), and from 2003-2007, his numbers dropped steadily. You also don't see a lot of FB plays in the AFL. In other words, I'm not sure that getting somebody in the middle of the draft is really going to be a good use for the pick. We also have that giant from Brown on the Practice Squad.
[b]WR[/b]- Little need. There seems to be some level of disagreement over the state of our WR corps. We clearly have a #1 and some good underneath guys (Hawkins, Shipley), but I wouldn't mind getting a guy as high as the 3rd round to compete with the inconsistent Simpson/Caldwell.
[b]OL[/b][b]- [/b]High need. The line was very good at preventing sacks this season, but below average at stopping the run. I would always take an Offensive lineman before round 4 every season no matter what, but I think we need a RG pretty badly.
[b]DL[/b]- Moderate need. I think the next marquee NFL position will be DE, and that the record books are going to be rewritten in the next decade. We have these guys, but why not add some more?
[b]LB[/b]- Little need. Another source of controversy, but I think with Rivers/Muckey/Moch coming back we are going to have a good Linebacker squad.
[b]CB[/b]- High need. Remember in the '04 playoffs (so in 2005...) when the Broncos saw their 2ndary completely dismantled by Manning and Reggie Wayne? Their first three draft picks the next season were Cornerbacks. The best of those players, unfortunately, was killed. The other two are still in the NFL, however. Anyway, I really think that if the Texans don't do it and we get by them, the Patriots and Tom Brady will probably throw on us for 400+ yards. This, combined with our team policy of drafting CBs as bargaining chips in negotiation with the guys on our team, probably means that we are going to use one of those first round picks on a Corner. Good thing, because we could use a good one.
[b]S[/b]- High need. I read on here earlier today the idea that Nate Clements gets moved to FS, and I think that could very well happen. I don't think it's a very good draft for Safeties (by my estimation, Robert Sands would probably be the 6th or 7th best Safety in this draft), and some team is going to be more desperate for one then we are, so their drafting ranks will probably be a round or two higher than their value as football players.
[b]K[/b]- No need. Nuuuuuge.
[b]P[/b]- No need. I am biased, here, because Huber is one of my favorite players.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1325543249' post='1083385']

[/quote]
Glad to see someone else jumping on the Heyward bandwagon. I mentioned him about 2 months ago and everyone just ignored him. I would love to get him in the 2nd.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1325547252' post='1083421']
Glad to see someone else jumping on the Heyward bandwagon. I mentioned him about 2 months ago and everyone just ignored him. I would love to get him in the 2nd.
[/quote]
oh yea i seen casey in the vanderbilt vs uc game
Dude layed a big ass hit on a running back going out for a pass

it's not know as of yet whether or not trent richardson will enter the draft.but the bengals need a runningback, at point in time I'm all in favor of drafting. A montee ball or chris polk,If the bengals wait tell 5th round,I hope they take bernard pierce.I'm not a expert but I have tret richardson, montee ball,chris polk, and other runningbacks rated higher then lamar miller.I did want janoris jenkin's on the bengals,but I would not risk a 1st or 2nd round pick or him.bengals should also takea look at devon still,the monster in the middle,if pat sims dosen't come back. [blog=''][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2uZ-b0GgEQ[/media][/blog] watch him blow up trent richardson and tell me, you don't want him on the team and in the middle of the defense.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1325548258' post='1083435']
it's not know as of yet whether or not trent richardson will enter the draft.but the bengals need a runningback, at point in time I all in favor of drafting. A montee ball or chris polk,If the bengals wait tell 5th round,I hope they take bernard pierce.I not a expert but I havetret richardson, montee ball,chris polk, and other runningbacks rated higher then lamar miller.I did want janoris jenkin's on the bengals,I would not risk a 1st or 2nd round pick or him.bengals should also take devon still,the monster in the middle,if pat sims dosen't come back. [blog=''][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2uZ-b0GgEQ[/media][/blog] watch him blow up trent richardson and tell you don't want him on the team and in the middle of the defense.
[/quote]

boi that was hard to read.

I won't be surprised if the second first rounder is used on someone like DT Jerrel Worthy. Not a huge need, but may be BPA. I just have a sneaking suspicion that one of the first rounders will be used on someone we don't expect.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1325548728' post='1083442']

boi that was hard to read.

I won't be surprised if the second first rounder is used on someone like DT Jerrel Worthy. Not a huge need, but may be BPA. I just have a sneaking suspicion that one of the first rounders will be used on someone we don't expect.
[/quote]
sorry about that I was in a rush, but I have corrected it, any way it would not surprise me. I can't argue with the worthy
if he is taken.he dose seem big and can clog the middle of the defense.but still is bigger in term's of height and can get into the back field and has stop richardson.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1325549395' post='1083449']
sorry about that I was in a rush, but I have corrected it, any way it would not surprise me.
[/quote]

A lot can change before then - I remember the draft everyone was shouting for a C and we didn't draft one - turns out they figured Cook would be their guy and so far it has been a good choice. So the priorities can be different because we don't know it all.

For example, if Hall looks to come back fine, then CB becomes far less of a priority than if he will not - just insurance against Clements losing steam. If he looks to be done, then it moves up the charts considerably.

evertime the bengals play ether the ravens or shitburge,it just dosen't seem to be any push in the middle of the defense. which dosen't free up the linebacker's or the edge of the defenese for dunlap or michael johnson.the biggest problem I have with the defense,is the pressure isn't consant,because flacco had all to throw and the bengals had no answer for leech, that has to be addressed next year.

Archived