So where does the deficit come from?

Lewdog

So I ran across this article tonight and I had to start laughing my ass off.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-wants-cheaper-pennies-nickels-101600840.html

[quote]
The U.S. Mint is facing a problem -- especially during these penny-pinching times. It turns out it costs more to make pennies and nickels than the coins are worth.
And because of that, the Obama administration this week asked Congress for permission to change the mix of metal that goes to make pennies and nickels, an expensive recipe that has remained unchanged for more than 30 years.
To be precise, it cost 2.4 cents to make one penny in 2011 and about 11.2 cents for each nickel.
[/quote]

So basically are government has been throwing away money. 1.4 cents for every penny made and 6.2 cents for every nickle made. So who is the genius that figured this out just now? How long has the government been doing this? People complain all the time that the government is driving down the value of the dollar by printing more, well are they trying to drive UP the value of the nickle and penny by paying more than it's face value to make it?

Damn our government are idiots.

:thwack1:

Archived