Linebacker

I just never thought they'd take a linebacker in the draft, and they ended up not.

They typically keep 6 LB's, sometimes 7.

Lawson, Rey and Howard are your starters and locks.

Muckelroy and Skuta are versatile backups and bascially locks.

Seems far too early to give up on Dontay Moch.

That's 6 right there. They're high on Vincent Rey as a special teamer and they've talked up DeQuin Evans as a future prospect.

That's 8.

Throw in Micah Johnson who was probably a longshot anyway.

It seems like their focus is to develop the youth at linebacker that they like and already have.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1335654018' post='1126510']
I guess we're going to war with what we've got. Anyone okay about that? I think we may have made significant enough upgrades to the line and the secondary to not really notice some of our linebacking faults.
[/quote]

I'm OK with that. They weren't bad, improvement on the front four will make their jobs easier. Also, one more year on the job = most likely more comfortable.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1335654018' post='1126510']
I guess we're going to war with what we've got. Anyone okay about that? I think we may have made significant enough upgrades to the line and the secondary to not really notice some of our linebacking faults.
[/quote]

Id like Brandon Johnson back

[quote name='TigerCub' timestamp='1335656433' post='1126550']
They could be moving Michael Johnson back to LB as well. As a matter of fact, I would not doubt a move of Geno Atkins to starting DE with the additions from the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.
[/quote]

that would be quite interesting, but don't see it. MJ is their 2nd best DE and they're already light on true DE's as it is.

I am ok with what we have. Last year both Lawson and Howard were new to the team and had a short offseason to learn the system. Plus Lawson was learning how to play in a 43 defense. Both of those guys should be better this year with a full offseason. Throw in a healthy Muck and Moch, the LB crew should be solid.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335656675' post='1126556']

that would be quite interesting, but don't see it. MJ is their 2nd best DE and they're already light on true DE's as it is.
[/quote]

They want to reduce MJ's reps, as they thought he wore down as the year went on and he had more snaps than all DL, I think they said. I'm not sure being LB helps that way.

[quote name='Patmo' timestamp='1335669822' post='1126879']
If they need help @ LB, we'll also have final cuts to consider. If they can upgrade at that time, they'll do it .
[/quote]

This. They will be able to get help from cutdowns if they need it after seeing how camps unfold.

Also, isn't Brandon Johnson still out there as a FA? If so, re-signing him makes a ton of sense still.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1335692175' post='1126949']

This. They will be able to get help from cutdowns if they need it after seeing how camps unfold.

Also, isn't Brandon Johnson still out there as a FA? If so, re-signing him makes a ton of sense still.
[/quote]
Yeh bringing back Brandon Johnson at the mo is priority no.1

And I think Muck will be our surprise stud in the LB core this year. In 2010, the guy showed he could really play. If he steps up this year and shows he could make Maualuga expendable after his contract runs out this year.

The team has not just done a good job of drafting/signing depth but has also done a great job of finding lesser guys with good ceiling and potential to be stars in this league for years to come. You combine that with the quality/prestige that exists in our coaching staff now, the players don't just want to come here and play like the old days, they now come here because they will get coached up to be best they can be.

Archived