Vontaze Burfict=Bengals most talented player

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1350508941' post='1171749']
I don't know that he's been bad but Lawson has been invisible the first six games. If nothing else, you see Skuta around the ball.
[/quote]

yea they seemed to have subbed Lawson out for quite a few plays in the second half Sunday. Skuta had a nice pass breakup on one play in the flats.

The Linebackers on this team suck! Sorry, I said it Sunday and I still think it today. Granted, Burfict is a rookie and he MIGHT be very good someday, but he certainly isn't a force, or a monster, today.

I don't rewatch games like some others do, but it seems to me that when any Cincinnati linebacker is in on a play, it's 5-7 yards away from the LOS. When we stop a run for no gain, it seems like it is always one of our D-line making a good play.

I hate the Stealers and the Ratbirds as much as most others on here, but I really wish we had either one of their linebacker units. Both of their defenses have reputations for hitting you in the mouth, and I think it starts with the linebackers.

This is apparent from looking at their stop numbers: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/18/snapshot-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/. Stops are tackles made near the line of scrimmage.

Lawson is last in the league (for LBs that played at least 50 run snaps) with 5 tackles and 0 stops in 96 run snaps. Burfict is 79th out of 91 with 11 tackles and 6 stops in 112 snaps. With that being said, OLBs should have less stops than MLBs, but it's still disheartening to see the low numbers of stops. Especially since Manny only plays on run downs. He was actually a pretty good run defender last year.

[quote name='mojo' timestamp='1350519363' post='1171801']
The Linebackers on this team suck! Sorry, I said it Sunday and I still think it today. Granted, Burfict is a rookie and he MIGHT be very good someday, but he certainly isn't a force, or a monster, today.

I don't rewatch games like some others do, but it seems to me that when any Cincinnati linebacker is in on a play, it's 5-7 yards away from the LOS. When we stop a run for no gain, it seems like it is always one of our D-line making a good play.

I hate the Stealers and the Ratbirds as much as most others on here, but I really wish we had either one of their linebacker units. Both of their defenses have reputations for hitting you in the mouth, and I think it starts with the linebackers.
[/quote]

[size=6][b] [url="http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/10/08/vontaze-burfict-marvin-lewis-cincinnati-bengals-dennis-erickson-nfl-draft-arizona-state/"]Vontaze Burfict Wishes He Had a Coach Like Marvin Lewis in College[/url][/b][/size]

October 8, 2012 – 8:30 am by Brad Gagnon

Vontaze Burfict entered 2011 at Arizona State as a prospect projected to be selected very early in the 2012 NFL Draft. But then his play dropped off sharply and red flags began to pop up left and right in regard to his personality. After a reported failed drug test for marijuana and a poor Scouting Combine performance, Burfict ended up tumbling off of draft boards and went undrafted before signing with the Cincinnati Bengals.

But he appears to be turning it around now in his rookie season with Cincinnati.

[b]Vontaze Burfict[/b] joined[b] MJ & Bickley[/b] on [b]XTRA Sports Radio 910[/b] in [b]Phoenix[/b] to discuss the tumult that plagued him during the last year or so, his new opportunity in Cincinnati, his relationship with new coach Marvin Lewis in comparison to college coach Dennis Erickson, his team at Arizona State and having to learn a new position on the fly.

[b]On moving from inside linebacker to outside linebacker:[/b]
[i]“Just trying to get a feel for that so I can play faster on Sundays. Playing next to Ray, we’ve got to communicate and that just comes with practice.”[/i]

[b]On having to learn a new position on the fly:[/b]
[i]“It’s difficult, but that’s just my job. They could move me to safety and I’d still have to learn that position. It’s just knowing where your help is at and learning the position next to you, because you never know when that person might go down and you might have to step in.”[/i]

[b]On his career with Cincinnati thus far:[/b]
[i]“It’s been a good journey, since I’ve been under Marvin Lewis’ wing. He took me in and he coaches me how I need to be coached. If I mess up twice on one play that he already told me about, he gets to me. He starts yelling at me. But that’s what I need. … I love being under his wing because he talks to me like I’m a grown man and he understands you’re not supposed to always yell at a player. Sometimes I need to be yelled at.”[/i]

[b]On not getting drafted:[/b]
[i]“Tell you the truth, I don’t really like talking about it because it’s the past and I don’t even like to dawn back on that like, ‘OK, that’s what happened.’ I just look forward and just think positive all the time.”[/i]

[b]On if he wishes he had a coach like Marvin Lewis in college:[/b]
[i]“Yes, of course. I could be a totally different player, I think.”[/i]

[b]On his poor performance and failed drug test at the Combine and the fact he wasn’t drafted:[/b]
[i]“It humbled me just to work for everything, and everything’s not going to me.”[/i]

[b]On his relationship with his Arizona State coach, Dennis Erickson:[/b]
[i]“Me and him had multiple conversations, but we weren’t seeing eye-to-eye on numerous occasions and it kind of affected me and him on the field of play. I love Coach Erickson deep down, and he was a great coach, great linebacker coach as well. But we just let other things affect his coaching and my playing on the field. That happens sometimes.”[/i]

[b]On why he believes his relationship with Erickson prevented him from playing a leadership role in college: [/b]
[i]“I let Coach Erickson’s coaching mess with me on the field and it totally messed with my head, especially on the field — me trying to be a leader and stuff like that. … Like the bowl game I was benched, and the whole week I thought I was going to be able to play. So it was just little things that me and coach didn’t see eye-to-eye on.”[/i]

[url="http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/629/Vontaze_1249_1349389324_30288.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=PHOENIX-AZ&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=629&STATION_ID=KGME-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=XTRA_910&PCAST_CAT=Sports_%26_Recreation&PCAST_TITLE=Bickley_and_MJ_Interviews"]Listen to Vontaze Burfict on XTRA Sports 910 here[/url]

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/10/08/vontaze-burfict-marvin-lewis-cincinnati-bengals-dennis-erickson-nfl-draft-arizona-state/

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1350499181' post='1171660']
[b]I like Jones out of Georgia[/b]
Howard-Burfuct-Jones
[/quote]

You and every GM in the NFL. :)

We will have to lose most of the rest of our games to have a shot at him.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350855055' post='1172515']
I don't want jones. Doesnt fit the scheme and not interested in using a high pick on a player that has to learn a new position. In a rebuilding year, sure, but not when the core of the team is entering their prime.
[/quote]
Excluding Burfict. Jones HAS to be better than most of the LB"s on the Bengals roster.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1350881025' post='1173573']
Burfict's highlights are pretty much the only thing worth watching again. He's gonna be something special...he was killing plays in the backfield.
[/quote]. Taze is awesome. Dunlap did pretty good. That,is all.

[quote name='MaddChatter' timestamp='1350879656' post='1173557']
Excluding Burfict. Jones HAS to be better than most of the LB"s on the Bengals roster.
[/quote]

that may be true, but I'd rather draft a guy who's more polished at LB already. Jones is basically a DE in Georgia's system from what I've seen.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1350884362' post='1173587']
Dunlap seems to have the same problem as a lot of our guys. Flashes greatness and then disappears for a while.
[/quote]

I didn't see Dunlap the entire first half. I don't know if he wasn't playing, or just not playing well, but I didn't see him until the 3rd quarter.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1350914893' post='1173655']
[b]Jones does not fit our defense. He's a 3-4 pass rushing LB. [/b] I've seen him drop play and play the run , and he didn't look very good.
[/quote]

agreed. IMO he's a 3-4 OLB or an undersized DE and he's about 30lbs lighter than what the Bengals like their DE's at.

May end up being a good player, but I say find players that fit the scheme.

[/quote]

I disagree. Burfect was around the ball on almost EVERY running and short yardage passing play unlike Rey who was digging the little pieces of rubber used on the field turf out of his ass crack on every play.

Burfect was tackling players all over the field.

anyone else catch Burfict telling Rey where to line up a on a big third down? I tihnk it was in the 3rd

The steelers had 3 or four WRs lined up on one side. Looked like Rey had no clue what the fuck was going on and Burfict ran over and told him where to line up.

i hope I just misunderstood what went on and our rookie undrafted free agent LB in his 3rd or 4th start didnt have a better grasp of things that our veteran MLB

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1350919126' post='1173674']
anyone else catch Burfict telling Rey where to line up a on a big third down? I tihnk it was in the 3rd

The steelers had 3 or four WRs lined up on one side. Looked like Rey had no clue what the fuck was going on and Burfict ran over and told him where to line up.

i hope I just misunderstood what went on and our rookie undrafted free agent LB in his 3rd or 4th start didnt have a better grasp of things that our veteran MLB
[/quote]

I don't know if he was telling anything or of it was just them communicating, but the Bengals got very lucky on that play. There were some huge mismatches on the left side of that formation had Ben wanted them, but he went right to Wallace.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350919839' post='1173677']
I don't know if he was telling anything or of it was just them communicating, but the Bengals got very lucky on that play. There were some huge mismatches on the left side of that formation had Ben wanted them, but he went right to Wallace.
[/quote]

Wasn't there a play where Burfict shoved Rey to the side because one of them wasn't lined up right? Maybe I saw it wrong.

Burfict was amazing. LB and RB are two positions where u can come in as a rookie and excell. My buddy whose a fellow deputy told me about Burfict a while ago because he coached him in high school. I guess he knew what he was talking bout. He says burfict is not a bad guy but isn't very bright either. Easily our best LB, and maybe defender.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1350918904' post='1173672']
I disagree. Burfect was around the ball on almost EVERY running and short yardage passing play unlike Rey who was digging the little pieces of rubber used on the field turf out of his ass crack on every play.

Burfect was tackling players all over the field.
[/quote]

I'll tell you what, that wasn't your imagination. Burfict was credited with 13 tackles and two assists. Know how many the second best player had on either team? 5! You got that right. He out tackled every other player by a line of 13-5. That's production in anyone's language isn't it?

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102110/2012/REG7/steelers@bengals#menu=highlights"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102110/2012/REG7/steelers@bengals#menu=highlights[/url]

[/quote]

looks like i need to put some sort of basic football education equivalency test up for people when they register.

i have seen you saw in several occasions in this thread who would play for the ravens or the steelers, or that you wish we had their linebackers, etc..

you DO realize we play a 4-3 and both of them play a 3-4 right? meaning virtually none of the players are directly interchangeable, your inside linebackers are the only ones who can play in both, and even then they have different responsibilities.

basically you want 3-4 flashy LB's, somehow converted into a 4-3 defense.

their size, skillset and job assignments are all very different.

All you are basically saying here, is that you wish we ran a 3-4 so you could glaze your knuckles over the LB's stats instead of DE stats.

Burfict is "very good" maualuga is "average at best" Howard is "pretty good"(but injured) Lawson is "pretty good"(but hurt)

the last three there, were members of a top 10 defense, who was top 5 most of the season and wrecked shit.

so say they all suck now is pretty silly, and makes everything you say less interesting to read and far fetched overall.

we could get the three best LB's for the 4-3, and teams could still complete passes against the depleted secondary.

we have 10 defensive players injured or done for the year... im not sure what you are expecting out of them at this point? thats nearly half of your team on defense is done or is banged up or not playing...

i mean seriously...

Archived