What FA's who have signed with other teams have been worth it?

I thought about Reggie White too. Reggie Bush is a good one as well. But I think Antonio Bryant is more common then actually getting a guy to play.

We signed 4 UFAs I think last year.

1 Wharton-Injury

2 Anderson-Injury

3 Green-Ellis-Solid but unspectacular

4 Can't remember

Vincent Jackson.  Carl Nicks was on the same scale as well until he got hurt.

Drew Brees is a big one I forgot.

ESPNs top 10 UFAs that changed teams

1. Carl Nicks

2, Vincent Jackson

3. Curtis Lofton

4. Cortland Finnegan

5. Brodrick Bunkley

6. Aubrayo Franklin

7. Ben Grubbs

8. EJ Henderson

9. Mario Williams

10. Eric Wright

1. Nnamdi Asomugha

2. Quintin Mikell

3. Sidney Rice

4. Ray Edwards

5. Cullen Jenkins

6. Zach Miller

7. Jason Babin

8. Aubrayo Franklin

9. Jared Gaither

10. Paul Pusluzny

Peyton Manning to the Broncos?  I'd declare that a mild success.  Two horrible defensive plays (one before halftime and one with less than a minute left in regulation) away from the AFC championship game.  I'll give you the horrible pick that he threw in OT, but he gave them Superbowl aspirations coming off an 8-8 season.

Agree with everyone's accessment that Reggie White is the greatest free agent of all time. 

Another guy (although he hasn't  won a Superbowl, is that a criteria to be a success?) that I would still declare as "worked out" is London Fletcher.  That old b-stard can still play ball.  Very underrated and has been a better player than Ray Lewis the past 5-7 years (IMO).

Charles Haley (Dallas) was another one.  Shannon Sharpe was another to Balt (ughh!).

I won't include Randy Moss due to the fact that he was acquired via trade and not really a free agent.

Peyton Manning to the Broncos?  I'd declare that a mild success.  Two horrible defensive plays (one before halftime and one with less than a minute left in regulation) away from the AFC championship game.  I'll give you the horrible pick that he threw in OT, but he gave them Superbowl aspirations coming off an 8-8 season.

Agree with everyone's accessment that Reggie White is the greatest free agent of all time. 

Another guy (although he hasn't  won a Superbowl, is that a criteria to be a success?) that I would still declare as "worked out" is London Fletcher.  That old b-stard can still play ball.  Very underrated and has been a better player than Ray Lewis the past 5-7 years (IMO).

Charles Haley (Dallas) was another one.  Shannon Sharpe was another to Balt (ughh!).

I won't include Randy Moss due to the fact that he was acquired via trade and not really a free agent.

Manning was released

Bobbie Williams was big for bengals. Tory James. Reggie Kelly key role player.

I was going to say Bobby Williams, too.

Ashley Ambrose wasn't here long but did make a pro bowl. (I think).

But I would put Bobby up there with good free agent pick ups.

Unspectacular position and was here and did well a long time.

I will limit myself to just some of the recent impact FA signings of the 2 Super Bowl teams

1. Justin Smith, DE Niners- Has been arguably their best D player over the past couple years in deep playoff runs.

2. Ahmad Brooks, LB Niners- One of the best players on one of the best Ds in the NFL.

3. Donte Whitner, S Niners- Has been a very good starter there the last few years. Has had some game changing hits.

4. Bryant McKinnie, OT Ravens- Has been a bit up and down and had some injuries but played great down the stretch for them this year. Kept Flacco clean despite facing some great pass rushers in the playoffs.

5. Bernard Pollard, S Ravens- His hit on Ridley that knocked him out and caused a fumble in the AFC Championship Game was one of the biggest plays of the entire playoffs. A real enforcer for their secondary.

6. Jacoby Jones, WR Ravens- Made 3 of the biggest plays of the playoffs this year. The crazy long TD catch at the end of regulation to tie it vs. Denver. A kick return TD in the Super Bowl and also a long TD catch in the Super Bowl.

7. Matt Birk, C Ravens- Has been the anchor of their line the last few years. A really smart older vet who has been able to maintain his high level of play late in his career.

8. Carlos Rogers, CB Niners- Has been a good player for them.

I'm probably missing a couple other key guys on those teams and didn't mention some other FAs who were solid but nothing special for them (Moss, etc.).

I'd also note that some of the examples given above weren't FAs. Anquan Boldin, Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall were all traded, never FAs.

6. Jacoby Jones, WR Ravens- Made 3 of the biggest plays of the playoffs this year. The crazy long TD catch at the end of regulation to tie it vs. Denver. A kick return TD in the Super Bowl and also a long TD catch in the Super Bowl.

Should've won MVP instead of Unibrow

LaBron James - Could we draft him just to hold his rights if he decides to enter the NFL or would it be for only one year? I heard on TV that he is interested in playing in the NFL. Hopefully, not for the Browns.

Jacoby Jones had to be one of the top FA pickups across the league last year, sans Peyton Manning.  

He was just a guy in the regular season. But you could argue he made the biggest play of the postseason vs. Denver. And then made the 2nd and 3rd biggest plays of the postseason in the Super Bowl. That has to be some sort of first. Especially for a guy who isn't even a starter to come out of nowhere and do it.

Baltimore may have to cut him loose this offseason as they are in cap hell and I believe he is scheduled to make over 4 Million.

Until the playoffs, he had always been a guy who flashed at times but never really lived up to his potential on offense. He has always been an impact special teamer though.

LaBron James - Could we draft him just to hold his rights if he decides to enter the NFL or would it be for only one year? I heard on TV that he is interested in playing in the NFL. Hopefully, not for the Browns.

I assume you're just joking here as he obviously isn't playing football ever, but I have heard that he was arguably the most dominating WR in OH high school history. And he didn't even play as a senior. He could have been one of the greatest TEs or WRs to ever play the game in my opinion. He'd be uncoverable.

Archived