Lewis Q&A at League Meetings

I'm buying into the Sanu hype for the most part. Think he is going to be a big part of the offense going forward. Seems like the type of guy you can just count on. You can see why he caught 115 passes or whatever his junior year at Rutgers.

I'm less sold on Jones and Hawkins. Jones seems like he could be one of those guys that is pretty good at a lot of things but not great at anything. Like Andre Caldwell. Maybe a rich mans version. I hope he is more than that, but will have to see to believe. He was just a rookie and had some injury setbacks too, so the upside is possibly there.

With Hawkins, he seems like a smart kid who works his ass off so I love rooting for him. But why did it seem like he ran the wrong route so much down the stretch? Or he would run the right route but cut it a little too much upfield or something and the pass would miss by a foot for a big 3rd down incompletion which would lead to a punt or to a FG instead of a TD. With a slot guy, he is supposed to be that security blanket who will always be in the exact right spot for the QB and always run exact, precise routes.

Overall, Sanu just seemed to find a way to make the play. Pick up the first down. Find the end zone. Hawkins and Jones both had some nice moments but seemed to leave too many plays on the field and were a big part of the reason the Bengals weren't very good on 3rd down. Which is why I would personally like to see some competition brought in for the 3rd WR spot. Jones and Hawkins might be better served as the #4 and 5 guys.

PHOENIX--One of the elder statesmen of the NFL was on fire--his humor, smarts and sometimes smart ass attitude on full display. Marvin Lewis spoke about everything: winning, losing, Twitter, the Bengals, his quarterback, his coaching life, rules changes...everything. His press conference was one of the more interesting in what is normally a remarkably boring event.

Some of Lewis' best moments during the breakfast with AFC coaches came when speaking of his quarterback, Andy Dalton. The situation with Dalton is among the most interesting storylines this offseason and into the regular one.

It's fairly simple with Dalton and the Bengals. If Dalton can be more consistent, the Bengals can be a force in a brutal division. If Dalton continues down his path of one performing with excellence in one snap and looking like Mark Sanchez in the next, it will cost both Dalton and possibly Lewis their jobs.

A settled Dalton means the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders (you read that right). A sorry Dalton means the Bengals are dead.

Lewis provided a combination of defense and tough love for Dalton in blunt terms head coaches normally don't use. There was also affection and sarcasm. "We have two behemoth quarterbacks in our division," said Lewis, "and then our little guy." Dalton is

"Andy just needs to keep being Andy," said Lewis. He added: "He just needs to keep playing and doing his thing. It's not his fault."

When asked what Dalton needs to do Lewis, only half joking, said that Dalton "has to quit listening to you guys." Meaning the media.

And Dalton has to get off Twitter, Lewis was asked?

"(Leaving) Twitter would be good," Lewis said.

(Lewis spoke of how last season veteran players banned the team from using Twitter. Said Lewis: "Young guys don't understand, no one cares what you're doing.")

When asked why does it seem like the bulk of Bengals fans target Dalton, Lewis said, "Because they look st some dumbass website."

(Lewis didn't specify which website but he couldn't possibly mean this one.)

"He is his own worst enemy," said Lewis of Dalton. "He listens too much to what people say. For being such a big, tough guy he's too concerned about people liking him."

Lewis is adding onto what he said last year about Dalton when he told the media: "We're looking for our quarterback and our middle linebacker to take hold of our football team. I think both guys are such good people, that you got to be a little bit of a dick."

So Lewis used the meetings to continue that message to his quarterback. Be a d---. It's a risky gambit. Maybe this is who Dalton is and you can't change that and pushing to change that only makes matters worse. Clearly, Lewis feels he doesn't have a choice.

Plenty of nice guys have finished first in the NFL so not sure it's a matter of Dalton's d---ness that's the factor.

What Lewis has to focus on his Dalton's head. Or maybe this is semantics. Lewis wants Dalton to be mentally tougher and maybe part of that mental toughness is not giving a damn what a bunch of media foofs think.

So Lewis will keep working Dalton and getting his head straight. And the second longest tenured head coach with one team (10 years), behind only Bill Belichick's 13, will also keep working. He made the Bengals relevant again. Now he has to make them champions and that begins or fails with Dalton.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21912844/marvin-lewis-faces-critical-year-for-his-quarterback

:41: :41: :41:

PHOENIX--One of the elder statesmen of the NFL was on fire--his humor, smarts and sometimes smart ass attitude on full display. Marvin Lewis spoke about everything: winning, losing, Twitter, the Bengals, his quarterback, his coaching life, rules changes...everything. His press conference was one of the more interesting in what is normally a remarkably boring event.
Some of Lewis' best moments during the breakfast with AFC coaches came when speaking of his quarterback, Andy Dalton. The situation with Dalton is among the most interesting storylines this offseason and into the regular one.
It's fairly simple with Dalton and the Bengals. If Dalton can be more consistent, the Bengals can be a force in a brutal division. If Dalton continues down his path of one performing with excellence in one snap and looking like Mark Sanchez in the next, it will cost both Dalton and possibly Lewis their jobs.
A settled Dalton means the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders (you read that right). A sorry Dalton means the Bengals are dead.
Lewis provided a combination of defense and tough love for Dalton in blunt terms head coaches normally don't use. There was also affection and sarcasm. "We have two behemoth quarterbacks in our division," said Lewis, "and then our little guy." Dalton is
"Andy just needs to keep being Andy," said Lewis. He added: "He just needs to keep playing and doing his thing. It's not his fault."
When asked what Dalton needs to do Lewis, only half joking, said that Dalton "has to quit listening to you guys." Meaning the media.
(Lewis spoke of how last season veteran players banned the team from using Twitter. Said Lewis: "Young guys don't understand, no one cares what you're doing.")
When asked why does it seem like the bulk of Bengals fans target Dalton, Lewis said, "Because they look st some dumbass website."
"He is his own worst enemy," said Lewis of Dalton. "He listens too much to what people say. For being such a big, tough guy he's too concerned about people liking him."
Lewis is adding onto what he said last year about Dalton when he told the media: "We're looking for our quarterback and our middle linebacker to take hold of our football team. I think both guys are such good people, that you got to be a little bit of a dick."
So Lewis used the meetings to continue that message to his quarterback. Be a d---. It's a risky gambit. Maybe this is who Dalton is and you can't change that and pushing to change that only makes matters worse. Clearly, Lewis feels he doesn't have a choice.
Plenty of nice guys have finished first in the NFL so not sure it's a matter of Dalton's d---ness that's the factor.
What Lewis has to focus on his Dalton's head. Or maybe this is semantics. Lewis wants Dalton to be mentally tougher and maybe part of that mental toughness is not giving a damn what a bunch of media foofs think.
So Lewis will keep working Dalton and getting his head straight. And the second longest tenured head coach with one team (10 years), behind only Bill Belichick's 13, will also keep working. He made the Bengals relevant again. Now he has to make them champions and that begins or fails with Dalton.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21912844/marvin-lewis-faces-critical-year-for-his-quarterback

Hmm, I could be wrong, but I really think Freeman used some quotes from Lewis that were in reference to Rey and mistakenly thought he was talking about Dalton. The one about being a big, tough guy was reported my multiple writers on twitter as being about Rey.

I also think he took the quote about Dalton being a little guy out of context. That was in answer to a question about how physical and tough the division was and Marvin was talking about how tough those QBs are to tackle. Freeman makes it sound like he was talking about how good each guy is in general as a player.

Seems like he really twisted Marvin's words and took them out of context and/or just straight up misreported them in some cases.

I follow Andy for the pics he tweets of his wife.

:D

Hmm, I could be wrong, but I really think Freeman used some quotes from Lewis that were in reference to Rey and mistakenly thought he was talking about Dalton. The one about being a big, tough guy was reported my multiple writers on twitter as being about Rey.

I also think he took the quote about Dalton being a little guy out of context. That was in answer to a question about how physical and tough the division was and Marvin was talking about how tough those QBs are to tackle. Freeman makes it sound like he was talking about how good each guy is in general as a player.

Seems like he really twisted Marvin's words and took them out of context and/or just straight up misreported them in some cases.

yea one of them was about Rey, which i added in a comment about.

:41: :41: :41:

I think this quote from Marvin was about Rey and not Andy and that Freeman screwed up.

My strong hunch is that he is talking about the pro football focus grade that had Rey as the 2nd worse ILB they ever graded.

Not saying I disagree or agree with Marvin there in regard to PFF, but I think that is what he is talking about.

I think he has had some negative comments toward PFF in the past with regard to their low grades on Nate Livings (and crazy high grades on the other LG we had whose name I am blanking on.....)

yea one of them was about Rey, which i added in a comment about.

There might be two or three of the quotes that Freeman says were about Andy that were actually in reference to Rey. I want to check out the video of this PC to see for sure.

There might be two or three of the quotes that Freeman says were about Andy that were actually in reference to Rey. I want to check out the video of this PC to see for sure.

doubt there will be one unless Hobson taped it.  It wasn't a press conference persay.  It's a breakfast with every HC sitting at a table.  Reporters can go to whoever they want to throughout the hour.

"He is his own worst enemy," said Lewis of Dalton. "He listens too much to what people say. For being such a big, tough guy he's too concerned about people liking him." (this quote is actually about Maualuga)

The year of the dick!

I wonder what the new Marvin TShirt will say this season? :blink:

Dalton's shirt = Dick #1

Rey's shirt = Dick #2

How about (motivational T-Shirt),

Dick's happen, ...get over it.

Dick happens, ...get over it.

Dickmeister

DickRus

Channel your inner dick

Superbowl bound Dick

As I've written previously on the blog, this is a big season for the Bengals' Andy Dalton to prove he's a franchise quarterback. He's led Cincinnati to back-to-back trips to the playoffs, but he's flopped in both postseason games. 

According to coach Marvin Lewis, Dalton doesn't need to silence his critics. Lewis' advice to Dalton is to stop listening to everyone outside the organization. 

"He is his own worst enemy," Lewis said at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday, via CBS Sports. "He listens too much to what people say. For being such a big, tough guy he's too concerned about people liking him." 

While some might construe this as Lewis wanting Dalton to be mentally tougher, I think Lewis is just trying to get Dalton to have more of an edge. Dalton is a nice guy. Probably too nice at times. 

This is the same problem the Bengals have with their other leader, linebacker Rey Maualuga. Dalton and Maualuga worry too much about making their family, coaches and fans happy. The Bengals need leaders who have more of a swagger, and that's what Lewis is trying to get from them. 

Lewis suggested that the first step for Dalton is to get off Twitter. Asked why Bengals fans are overly critical of Dalton, Lewis said, "Because they look at some dumbass website." 

It's easy to pass the blame off on the media. But let's not forget that offensive coordinator Jay Gruden has been critical of Dalton this offseason, saying he needs to improve in every phase. "He’s got a long way to go," Gruden told WLW Radio in Cincinnati earlier this month.

Lewis' focus shouldn't be on the media. It should be on why Dalton's play changes so drastically from the regular season to the postseason. Dalton has thrown 47 touchdown passes in 31 career games. The only quarterbacks who have passed for more in their first two seasons in the NFL are Dan Marino (68) and Peyton Manning (52). But Dalton has struggled mightily in the postseason, throwing zero touchdowns and four interceptions in two playoff games. 

"Andy just needs to keep being Andy," Lewis said. "He just needs to keep playing and doing his thing. It's not his fault."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67418/lewis-to-dalton-stop-listening-to-others

I think this quote from Marvin was about Rey and not Andy and that Freeman screwed up.

My strong hunch is that he is talking about the pro football focus grade that had Rey as the 2nd worse ILB they ever graded.

Not saying I disagree or agree with Marvin there in regard to PFF, but I think that is what he is talking about.

I think he has had some negative comments toward PFF in the past with regard to their low grades on Nate Livings (and crazy high grades on the other LG we had whose name I am blanking on.....)

i knew exactly who it was about, hence my applause. 

Lewis defends Rey, status quo

PHOENIX, Ariz. _ Because the core of his team has taken them to the playoffs the past two seasons, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis concentrated on tweaking the status quo instead of tearing it up during Tuesday's media breakfast with the AFC coaches here at the NFL meetings.

Which is how he answered the Rey Maualuga question, saying he doubts he'll replace him in the middle with rookie WILL backer Vontaze Burfict in the wake of Maualuga signing a two-year, $6.5 million deal.

"We're very comfortable how we played on defense and all we do is keep getting better with those kids. Rey had to manage kinder care out there and he did a good managing it," Lewis said of a defense that finished ranked sixth. "I never said we would move (Burfict) to the middle before. I don't know that. I would doubt it."

Lewis used the forum to defend Maualuga, a lightning rod for fan criticism and the last-ranked inside linebacker in the NFL according to the web site profootballfocus.com.

“Because they look at some dumb ass web site that doesn’t have any idea of what football is," said Lewis of the wrath. "The same web site that two years ago that rated Kelly Jennings the best tackling corner in the NFL. These people who aren’t football they are trying to be critical. We’ll be as critiquing of Rey as we need to be, we don’t need any help.”

But Lewis says Maualuga has improved his game and just has to get the naysayers out of his head.

“He has been that way from the start. He worries too much. Unfortunately too many people get in his ear," Lewis said. "For being supposedly a big, tough guy he just is concerned about people liking him and he doesn’t need to do that.”

Maualuga, who started 30 games at SAM backer before starting his last 29 in the middle, looks like he's staying inside with Lewis encouraging his development.

“Being able to keep playing through his responsibilities," said Lewis, listing his improvements.  "When he needs to read out, play things vertically where we need to in the pass lanes. He does a good job of that. He just has to keep growing.”

Lewis also pointed to the draft as a reason not to rock the boat with a bevy of free-agent signings. Thanks to the Carson Palmer trade, the Bengals have three of the top 54 picks in the first two rounds. He sees them picking up "three, likely four starting caliber players," early in the draft.

"We’re going to add to the talent pool and it’s going to be exciting," Lewis said. "They all aren’t going to start. One or two might. Just what I know it could be a linebacker, receiver, defensive end, running back, safety. Every position wherever we’re picking we’re going to add some good guys.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-defends-Rey-status-quo/ef50cad5-8e39-4b0d-a4f4-1075954874e1?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

much better context of the quote.

“Because they look at some dumb ass web site that doesn’t have any idea of what football is," said Lewis of the wrath. "The same web site that two years ago that rated Kelly Jennings the best tackling corner in the NFL. These people who aren’t football they are trying to be critical. We’ll be as critiquing of Rey as we need to be, we don’t need any help.”

"They all aren’t going to start. One or two might. Just what I know it could be a linebacker, receiver, defensive end, running back, safety. Every position wherever we’re picking we’re going to add some good guys.”

Interesting that when he mentions positions off the top his head, he lists every one that the consensus has targeted - except one: defensive end. 

I still think that could be a dark horse BPA pick in 1 or 2.

"They all aren’t going to start. One or two might. Just what I know it could be a linebacker, receiver, defensive end, running back, safety. Every position wherever we’re picking we’re going to add some good guys.”

Interesting that when he mentions positions off the top his head, he lists every one that the consensus has targeted - except one: defensive end. 

I still think that could be a dark horse BPA pick in 1 or 2.

Am I missing something? :huh:

Burfict will not leave the field whether at MLB or WLB. 

likely Howard OR Lamur. Always gonna have the MLB with the mic in his helmet on the field.

I'd prefer Brown to Minter, better speed, which is what the unit is severely lacking.  Brown may be a better fit at WLB, but I think he could play MLB.

Archived