Lewis Q&A at League Meetings

Lewis sitting down for his 11th media breakfast as #Bengals head coach. Only Belichick has been at more with same club.

At some point in this draft #Bengals take a running back Lewis says.

Lewis has no update on #Bengals talks with Andre Smith

Lewis' big take away from last season: Be more consistent...running the ball and playing on third down.

Lewis says if don't get Smith done, "We'll move on....I know he wants to get it done."

Lewis on being in one place so long: We live in an (ever-changing) society...we have great continuity on coaching staff

What he tells players in order to keep continuity: The grass isn't always greener. Every team is different.

How long do you want to stay in it? It's time to win a championship...let's keep it in the division.

all depends on the draft IMO. I bet Te'o, Minter, and Brown are in play for MLB.

Lewis indicated that he'd keep Maualuga in middle and Tez at WILL, but he also said I don't know a couple of times.

Lewis on read option: Those guys getting $10M to rush the passer, it's a different game.

Mike Tomlin on AFC North: "How the North unfolds is how AFC unfolds. We believe its as tough a division as it is in football."

Lewis' definition of a physical team: It's a culture...during The Lockout the guys up front took over the team.

How physical is the AFC North? Very. We got two behemoaths at QB and our little guy and Weeden's a big guy.

I agree.  Rey backs up one of them and transitions back to SLB.  What I don't get in all of this Marvin speak is his desire then to reup Howard.  I think they are intent on keeping Burfict at WLB no matter what happens.   Howard healthy is a starter and I don't see him playing the middle if they don't get their guy.

all depends on the draft IMO. I bet Te'o, Minter, and Brown are in play for MLB.

Lewis indicated that he'd keep Maualuga in middle and Tez at WILL, but he also said I don't know a couple of times.

Lewis on read option: Those guys getting $10M to rush the passer, it's a different game.

Tomlin on read option: "I think it's flavor of day. We w see if its flavor of year. see if guys r committed to getting their guys hit."

Lewis on Rey: Don't listen to the criticism. He's improved in all aspects.

Lewis: "We'll be as critiquing as we need to be for Rey. We don't need anyone's help."

Lewis on Maualuga: "For being a big, tough guy he is concerned about people liking him. He has to play through his responsibilities."

Lewis on Smith: "When it happens, it will happen. If it doesn't we will move on and find a new guy."

Lewis: "We need to be more consistent in making first downs, running the football."

Lewis on the changes in AFC North: Baltimore had plan in place. He says Ravens and Steelers will still be good.

Lewis on the changes in AFC North: Baltimore had plan in place. He says Ravens and Steelers will still be good.

I dont doubt they (the ravens) had a plan in place, I do doubt they anticipated as much turnover as they got, and dont think they could plan for that and that it will hurt them short term.

I dont doubt they (the ravens) had a plan in place, I do doubt they anticipated as much turnover as they got, and dont think they could plan for that and that it will hurt them short term.

Of course, "Watch all your players leave and go 4-12 next year while crying quietly in the dark" is a plan...

Geoff Hobson ‏@GeoffHobsonCin
Geoff Hobson ‏@GeoffHobsonCin

I think Teo and Minter are great, but imagine Maualuga at SLB, Minter in MLB, Burfict at Weakside that's essentially like having 3 middle backers out there. Crazy. Should be good against the run. Then play Howard n Lamur on passing downs.

I think Teo and Minter are great, but imagine Maualuga at SLB, Minter in MLB, Burfict at Weakside that's essentially like having 3 middle backers out there. Crazy. Should be good against the run. Then play Howard n Lamur on passing downs.

likely Howard OR Lamur. Always gonna have the MLB with the mic in his helmet on the field.

I'd prefer Brown to Minter, better speed, which is what the unit is severely lacking.  Brown may be a better fit at WLB, but I think he could play MLB.

Another tidbit from Lewis: Says Sanu is so versatile he could start for #Bengals at FS. He won't, of course, and says he likes current Ss.

Best part of Lewis' Q and A was last. He thinks #Bengals draft four-starting caliber players, another reason restrained with UFAs

Marvin Lewis was on fire.

One of my favorite parts about Marvin Lewis press conference. Bengals older veteran players banned Twitter last year at training camp...

I asked Lewis why. He said: "Young guys don't understand, no one cares what you're doing." Haha!

No,that is having 3 MLBs out there. As long as the three guys out there are good football players, i could care less. Te'o, for instance can play inside or outside, and would be an excellent addition, Minter not so much.

Lewis says he feels good about getting Jones TNewman signed

T. Newman and his agent amuse me. Their desperate attempt to get a bidding war started is just so transparent. I guess they deserve some credit for getting a second team involved, but I wouldn't mind if the Bengals just passed on Newman. Bengals were the only team willing to take a chance on the guy last year, and now are offering this guy playing time for a DC that knows him, respects him, and is willing to make him look good by not putting him in positions to fail. If Newman wants to go play for the Raiders,  I hope he gets his wish. But he should be careful about what he wishes for.

turns out the Dalton article was crap. Most of those quotes were about Maualuga.  Hobson nor Reedy have posted a single comment made by Marvin about Dalton outside of the joke about him not being big QB's like Ben and Flacco.

PHOENIX--One of the elder statesmen of the NFL was on fire--his humor, smarts and sometimes smart ass attitude on full display. Marvin Lewis spoke about everything: winning, losing, Twitter, the Bengals, his quarterback, his coaching life, rules changes...everything. His press conference was one of the more interesting in what is normally a remarkably boring event.

Some of Lewis' best moments during the breakfast with AFC coaches came when speaking of his quarterback, Andy Dalton. The situation with Dalton is among the most interesting storylines this offseason and into the regular one.

It's fairly simple with Dalton and the Bengals. If Dalton can be more consistent, the Bengals can be a force in a brutal division. If Dalton continues down his path of one performing with excellence in one snap and looking like Mark Sanchez in the next, it will cost both Dalton and possibly Lewis their jobs.

A settled Dalton means the Bengals are Super Bowl contenders (you read that right). A sorry Dalton means the Bengals are dead.

Lewis provided a combination of defense and tough love for Dalton in blunt terms head coaches normally don't use. There was also affection and sarcasm. "We have two behemoth quarterbacks in our division," said Lewis, "and then our little guy." Dalton is

"Andy just needs to keep being Andy," said Lewis. He added: "He just needs to keep playing and doing his thing. It's not his fault."

When asked what Dalton needs to do Lewis, only half joking, said that Dalton "has to quit listening to you guys." Meaning the media.

And Dalton has to get off Twitter, Lewis was asked?

"(Leaving) Twitter would be good," Lewis said.

(Lewis spoke of how last season veteran players banned the team from using Twitter. Said Lewis: "Young guys don't understand, no one cares what you're doing.")

When asked why does it seem like the bulk of Bengals fans target Dalton, Lewis said, "Because they look st some dumbass website."

(Lewis didn't specify which website but he couldn't possibly mean this one.)

"He is his own worst enemy," said Lewis of Dalton. "He listens too much to what people say. For being such a big, tough guy he's too concerned about people liking him." (this quote is actually about Maualuga)

Lewis is adding onto what he said last year about Dalton when he told the media: "We're looking for our quarterback and our middle linebacker to take hold of our football team. I think both guys are such good people, that you got to be a little bit of a dick."

So Lewis used the meetings to continue that message to his quarterback. Be a d---. It's a risky gambit. Maybe this is who Dalton is and you can't change that and pushing to change that only makes matters worse. Clearly, Lewis feels he doesn't have a choice.

Plenty of nice guys have finished first in the NFL so not sure it's a matter of Dalton's d---ness that's the factor.

What Lewis has to focus on his Dalton's head. Or maybe this is semantics. Lewis wants Dalton to be mentally tougher and maybe part of that mental toughness is not giving a damn what a bunch of media foofs think.

So Lewis will keep working Dalton and getting his head straight. And the second longest tenured head coach with one team (10 years), behind only Bill Belichick's 13, will also keep working. He made the Bengals relevant again. Now he has to make them champions and that begins or fails with Dalton.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21912844/marvin-lewis-faces-critical-year-for-his-quarterback

Archived