*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Just to throw this out there, but we might be showing a little more 3-4 looks based on the personnel we keep looking at. We certainly have several linemen that fit a 3-4 scheme and at linebacker we have several interchangeable pieces to show more 3-4 looks than before. Not saying that it's why we're looking at Harrison and Dansby, but either signing would definitely give Zimmer more scheme flexibility.

Lawson has not been that good to be honest.

Yeah, he was mediocre. But obviously the coaches are not afraid of putting a former 3-4 guy at that SLB spot. That was my only point. I am not surprised they are considering trying to do it again.

Even Dontay Moch was a DE in college and they tried to convert him to SLB. They really seem to want a bigger guy with some pass rushing ability in that spot.

I'd prefer Dansby, but Harrison kind of fits the pattern of guys they have targeted the last few years.

I also would not be shocked if they try to draft a guy like Jarvis Jones for that spot either if they end up passing on Dansby and Harrison.

This. He's done

I think so as well, especially since his primary weapon, his helmet and head, have been effectively taken away from him by the NFL.

Me too...

From what I heard he offered to play for the Steelers for the league minimum and they STILL didn't want him. Speaks volumes to me, along with the lack of any real FA interest.

If he's healthy, hell yeah. In case you guys forgot, we have complete fucking turds at the LB position currently

Fuck no and fuck him. And no we don't. We still have Burfict, Howard, possibly Moch and whomever we draft. I'd take that over Rey and Harrison.

even if it meant Maualuga was staying at MLB? If they bring in Harrison, its to play SLB, which means Mauluga stays the starting MLB.

Please no. Burfict at MLB please.

It's called being a piece of shit human being.  That doesn't go away just because he's old and slow.

Exactly. Fuck him.

Mauafuck shouldn't be on the team. I don't care what position he plays. That position will be a glaring weakness regardless. Stack up talent around that retard and hope it conceals his shitty play

I agree. Maualuga is hopefully a backup and/or a plug in guy on running plays at SAM.

The Steelers cut Harrison for cap reasons, not performance.

Everyone who doesn't think Harrison would be an asset to this team is a moron, simple as that. Harrison is one of the most feared pass rushers in the NFL for a reason, he's a fucking beast when rushing the passer and adding him to the current mix would be insane.

Also the Bengals could still add Dansby, we have the most cap space in the NFL and still haven't cut Jamaal Anderson yet. We could cut Anderson and save 2.7 million dollars.

The Steelers also wouldn't take him back for peanuts. I'm guessing they are guessing correctly as to where he is in his career, which in my honest opinion, is very close to being done.

I don't like rooting for asshole cheapshot artists.  If I did, I'd be a Stooler fan.

Fucking testify. Apart from Harrison's decline in performance, this will always linger. Fuck that guy. NEVER!

I think you need to double-check your information, because its not accurate. He doesn't play every down as an edge rusher, and he is actually pretty damn good in coverage.

No he isn't.

Lawson has not been that good to be honest.

He was awful, to be honest. I am glad he is gone. There's one first round bust reclamation project that didn't work out for us. Can't blame us for trying.

And we can all pretty much agree he played like crap here, even worse then Maualuga.

I'd say about the same. Both weren't very good. I see us being upgraded at LB next season just simply sliding Burfict over and drafting some hungry young soul. Addition by subtraction.

I really hope that Burfict makes the transition to MLB. It's what he has played for most of his career, and he has instincts that aren't teachable. Plus, he isn't exactly super speedy playing one of the outside positions. MLB takes a certain meanness, a certain someone, and I think Burfict has "it".

I really hope that Burfict makes the transition to MLB. It's what he has played for most of his career, and he has instincts that aren't teachable. Plus, he isn't exactly super speedy playing one of the outside positions. MLB takes a certain meanness, a certain someone, and I think Burfict has "it".

Is Dansby quicker than Burfect? All I know is either would be an upgrade at MLB.

Is Dansby quicker than Burfect? All I know is either would be an upgrade at MLB.

I don't know and I don't care. Burfict has shown his nose for the ball, playing at a non-MLB position. I think he's at least earned a shot there. 

OR Burfict at MLB, Dansby at SAM, and New Guy at WILL (Ogeltree, Brown, Greene, Moore) with Howard playing if he's healthy and Lamur getting whatever time he can earn.

I thought I remembered Maualuga playing pretty well at Sam. Then you could try Dansby or Burfict at the MLB spot. What you really could do is put Dansby there and then as he ages Burfict gradually takes over.

What would the ideal LB look like to add now? I would say some sort of

1. Veteran

2. Great leadership

3. Versatility

4. Coverage ability

If you get a squeaky clean professional as one of the starters for the others to follow you can help Burfict, Maualuga and Ogletree (should he get drafted) develop. It's less of a risk then. Throw Maualuga, Burfict and Ogletree together in a bunch and I don't see good things. They would all probably bring out the worst in each other.

OR Burfict at MLB, Dansby at SAM, and New Guy at WILL (Ogeltree, Brown, Greene, Moore) with Howard playing if he's healthy and Lamur getting whatever time he can earn.

Agree, if I was GM that would be my plan, Burfict mlb, Dansby strongside, and ( brown, Hodges, Moore) at the weak side spot. With our front 4, and after adding ss Elam our defense would be nasty.

Why do we need to wait on Burfict? He's PROVEN he can play. He outshined EVERY other LB on the roster with his hungry play, and naturally plays MLB, a position at which Maualuga did not fare so well.

Burfict is still a question mark upstairs and has never played the middle for us yet.

Archived