2013 Opponents Thread

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot 1h

#Browns spokesman tells http://cleveland.com  that a decision has not been made yet on HC. May or may not come today.

Is this supposed to be news?  Half-kidding but it's really not news that:

A) No one wants to go to that cess pool even though they have some talented players

and

B  ) the Browns brass can't make up their minds WTF they want to do

Looks like Pettine is likely their guy?

Checking in on Browns' coaching search in.gif

January, 23, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

We know that Buffalo Bills DC Mike Pettine is a finalist for the Cleveland Browns' vacant head coach job. He will have a third interview with the team on Thursday, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported that there is a second finalist who also will interview in Cleveland on Thursday.

"That unidentified finalist is not Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who was presumed to be the front-runner as the week began," wrote ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi. "The other finalist also is not Greg Schiano. The Browns did interview the fired Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach in Tampa, FL, on Wednesday. But a source confirmed that Schiano, who has a Bill Belichick-to-Mike Lombardi connection, would not be considered for the Browns’ job.

"The other finalist may or may not be Dirk Koetter. The Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator came out of nowhere as a longshot candidate. He was interviewed on Wednesday and reportedly fared well enough to be considered for a second session."

In the end, the other candidate may be Josh McDaniels, who was believed to have removed his name from consideration.

"[A]fter the Patriots were eliminated by the Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, the Patriots have had a turnover of two positions on Belichick’s offensive staff. ESPN Cleveland learned that McDaniels had conversations with the Browns this week. They were not characterized as a formal interview," Grossi added. "The source said that McDaniels expressed renewed interest to be considered. Subsequent reports characterized the conversations as Browns owner Jimmy Haslam reaching out to McDaniels to change his mind. Whatever the extent of the talks, it appeared that McDaniels was not totally back into the mix. But the source wouldn’t rule it out."

Obviously, this situation is packed with smoke and mirrors, so it's very difficult to read between the lines. Hopefully, we'll get a better grip on the situation as Thursday rolls along.

Darnit.

Yeah Munchak is a good hire for the Stealers.  Sucks big time since their OL has been holding them back for so long.  I assume he can help turn that around....

Impressive to get a guy with his history as a position coach, since he was a HC (although he got bumped from position coach all the way up to HC, with no coordinator role in between).

Johnny Football going to Cleveland will do 2 things, sell tickets...and sell tickets.

He really should pull an Eli Manning and refuse to go there.   Even the Brown's fans wouldn't blame him.

Do they have a problem selling tickets?  I thought even though the team is a royal garbage heap that they still have a hugely loyal following?  I guess merchandise sales could impact the bottom line, but I'm not sure a flashy player is the top priority for team management - unless you're talking about Jerry Jones.

"Every home game the Browns have played since returning to the NFL in 1999 has been televised locally. That is an amazing streak considering how poorly the Browns have played for most of their 13-plus years -- and how many empty seats there sometimes are even at the start of the game."  http://www.morningjournal.com/general-news/20121013/cleveland-browns-are-already-on-the-clock-nfl-insider

That article does say that that the Browns will have to purchase some of their own seats to avoid a blackout so maybe it is becoming or has become more of an issue....

Do they have a problem selling tickets?  I thought even though the team is a royal garbage heap that they still have a hugely loyal following?  I guess merchandise sales could impact the bottom line, but I'm not sure a flashy player is the top priority for team management - unless you're talking about Jerry Jones.

"Every home game the Browns have played since returning to the NFL in 1999 has been televised locally. That is an amazing streak considering how poorly the Browns have played for most of their 13-plus years -- and how many empty seats there sometimes are even at the start of the game."  http://www.morningjournal.com/general-news/20121013/cleveland-browns-are-already-on-the-clock-nfl-insider

That article does say that that the Browns will have to purchase some of their own seats to avoid a blackout so maybe it is becoming or has become more of an issue....

I think what happened this year has to be the final straw for many Browns fans.  Without a big name guy, they will be struggling early on unless there is some success.  I imagine Hoyer would be the starter at the beginning of the year with the inbreds in the stadium chanting "Johnny" and celebrating a game ending injury.

That must be the case. I have been there twice since they have opened that place, and both times the place is never more than 2/3 full even at the beginning of the game.  

I remember watching a Browns preseason game and they were already advertising $25 per seat ticket specials.

Titans just signed Bob Bostad as their new O-line coach. He was O-line coach in Tampa last year but the guy at Wisconsin the previous 6 years. Zeitler played for him and he would have been a huge upgrade from Alexander.

Destination last page of 73

Yeah I guess this could be changed to 2014 opponents at some point....

for now:

Which veteran Steelers won't be back? in.gif

January, 23, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers will have to make some tough financial decisions this offseason when it comes to a number of their veteran players. In the end, a handful of them likely will be let go.

"I think there are several, and I think at least three, and possibly all four, of these players are gone: Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel, LaMarr Woodley and Ike Taylor," wrote Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"I could see Keisel coming back for one more year, but I don't think that is going to happen. And you could probably argue that the Steelers need a corner and Ike could be brought back at a signifcantly reduced price, much like Casey Hampton was in 2012. But that would only further point up the mistake they made last year when they let Keenan Lewis go and kept Ike."

In regards to Woodley, ESPN Steelers reporter Scott Brown agrees that the Steelers are going to have to make a choice between Woodley and Jason Worilds, with Woodley likely being shown the door:

Scott Brown Steelers facing tough decision at OLB

"Jarvis Jones, the Steelers’ first-round draft pick last year, has to start next season and the Steelers don’t have the luxury of making a big investment in three outside linebackers. Whether they will have a choice between Worilds and Woodley remains to be seen. The former can become an unrestricted free agent on March 11 and Worilds’ timing couldn’t be any better. Following three unremarkable seasons, Worilds broke out in 2013. ... [B]ut it isn’t as simple as cutting ties with the seventh-year veteran and re-signing Worilds. If the Steelers release Woodley before June 1 they will have to absorb a 2014 cap hit of just under $14.2 million. If they release Woodley after that date they would save around $8.5 million in cap space. ... No question the biggest dilemma facing the Steelers is finding a way to keep Worilds and minimizing the cap hit they take for releasing Woodley. The other possibility for the Steelers is getting Woodley to accept a pay cut and taking their chances that he will stay healthy moving forward. One thing that seems clear when it comes to Worilds and Woodley: It will be a case of one or the other for the Steelers."

Archived