Bengals start their releases

Conner need not worry. Great guy, solid role player. He'll hook on. But he would have played about 10 snaps per game here. #Bengals

Reedy 0-1 right off the bat

In his 53 man predictions

he's just throwing shit at the wall.  He had Charles on the team yesterday over smith, and then reversed it today.

Couple of things:

1. No way they cut Roland with Whitworth questionable & Smith already gimpy.  If both are healthy maybe they risk AC being the only ready backup until they get Hawkinson and/or Fragel up to speed.

I don't care if its 8 snaps a game.

Exactly.  Those 8-10 snaps tend to be 3rd & shorts or goal-to-go situations.  How many snaps does a PK play per game? That's not really the point - the point is that they have a specific skill set that's crucial for those 8-10 snaps.  That being said, Charles seems to be starting to "get it" so hopefully we won't be second guessing this after watching our RB's get stuffed all year in big situations.  Still not sure why they wouldn't just make him the 3rd TE considering Smith doesn't seem to have done shit for them, but what do I know.

I wonder if this means Bruce Taylor makes the team as the 6th LB.

We only have six LBs now, including Taylor. If you don't think he makes the team, then there are obviously other moves in the works, because no way we only carry five LBs.

I still think Moch makes the team though. Said that months ago and I stick by it even though I may be a longshot ;)

Couple of things:

1. No way they cut Roland with Whitworth questionable & Smith already gimpy.  If both are healthy maybe they risk AC being the only ready backup until they get Hawkinson and/or Fragel up to speed.

Exactly.  Those 8-10 snaps tend to be 3rd & shorts or goal-to-go situations.  How many snaps does a PK play per game? That's not really the point - the point is that they have a specific skill set that's crucial for those 8-10 snaps.  That being said, Charles seems to be starting to "get it" so hopefully we won't be second guessing this after watching our RB's get stuffed all year in big situations.  Still not sure why they wouldn't just make him the 3rd TE considering Smith doesn't seem to have done shit for them, but what do I know.

I predict they will realize the need a really good lead blocker early in the year and will have to activate Pressley once he is healthy enough to play.

Couple of things:

From everything I heard, Smith really impressed them all off-season. I know he had an injury that took him out of much of training camp, but chances are they had seen enough of him already to know he can help them. So I guess I disagree with your premise.

It would seem the new scheme values the versatility Charles brings over the physicality of Conner.

And/or the think Charles has improved enough as a blocker it's not a big deal.

It's interesting that almost all his snaps in the last game came at TE though, not FB.

Archived