My First Way too Early Mock Draft

Jason

My first stab this year using NFLDraftscout rankings.

1 - Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU- 6'3"/235

2 - Travis Swanson, OC, Arkansas - 6'4/318

3 - Lamarcus Joyner, CB, FSU - 5'8"/190

4 - Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma - 6'2"/300

5 - Josh Huff, WR, Oregon - 5'11/202

6 - Denicos Allen, OLB, MSU, - 5'11/218

7 - Venric Mark, RB/WR/PR/KR, Northwestern - 5'8/175

Your first three look exactly as mine do positionally, and player-wise for the first two.

Swanson looks like the sweet spot pick at 2.  I watched him last night versus Alabama, and though they got crushed, he was rock-solid from the bits I saw.  I was hoping he might last until 3, but given that he's looking like the top rated center I don't think he'll last that far.  Our 2 will be at the bottom of the round anyway, so basically a top 3rd (small price to pay for winning the SB).

It's a bumper crop year for the type of LB you and I have been going after for a while now.  Frankly, there are some guys I'd be thrilled getting in rd 2 or 3 as well.  Van Noy, however - even more so than Anthony Barr (and you know how much I lusted after him last year), seems like he might be the better fit here because he can really do it all (especially play in space).

But these are the joker type of LBs who can rush and have a chance to play standing up in space (Von Miller is the model here, obviously):

6Anthony Barr

18Khalil Mack

22Vic Beasley

27Kyle Van Noy

105Jeremiah Attaochu

Vic Beasley is the wild card, IMO, and he may end up going top 10, even top 5, for those trying to follow the Von Miller mold.  Attaochu is a guy who really shows up and I'd be thrilled with as well.

Unfortunately, other than the top couple of guys, it's not a big year for WLB, and as much as I want one of those Joker types for the future, we are a lot thinner at WLB.  Dimanche certainly has the speed to play the position.

Your first three look exactly as mine do positionally, and player-wise for the first two.

Normally that would be suprising stuff, but we've always liked the same type of players.

That said, less than a week after posting my "way too early" mock it seems obsolete already due to the injury to Leon Hall.  

Nutshelled, with Hall likely out at least 9 or 10 months there's no way I'd wait until round 3 to add CB depth now.

Swanson looks like the sweet spot pick at 2.  I watched him last night versus Alabama, and though they got crushed, he was rock-solid from the bits I saw.  I was hoping he might last until 3, but given that he's looking like the top rated center I don't think he'll last that far.  Our 2 will be at the bottom of the round anyway, so basically a top 3rd (small price to pay for winning the SB)..

You've been a much harsher critc of Kyle Cook than I've been so it may not suprise you that six days and one serious CB injury later I doubt I could pull the trigger on a 2nd round OC now.

Normally that would be suprising stuff, but we've always liked the same type of players.

That said, less than a week after posting my "way too early" mock it seems obsolete already due to the injury to Leon Hall.  

Nutshelled, with Hall likely out at least 9 or 10 months there's no way I'd wait until round 3 to add CB depth now.

You've been a much harsher critc of Kyle Cook than I've been so it may not suprise you that six days and one serious CB injury later I doubt I could pull the trigger on a 2nd round OC now.

Nope. Neither surprise me.  I started looking at 1st and 2nd round CB's at about 4:15pm Sunday.  It sucks, but is what it is.  In fact, I could actually see us taking two CB's in the top 3 rounds this year, as I think we've all agreed that a CB somewhere in 1-3 was already looking like a need.  Dre may really show up, and Ghee too, but how do you plan for guys who are always injured to not be? 

FWIW, I saw a description of Joyner as a Tyrann-Mathieu-type player.  Apparently, he was all over the place against Clemson (strips, picks, etc.).  If there's one thing I'm missing on our D right now it's the glaring lack of defensively forced turnovers.

How do you feel about Safety? Although I'm pretty satisfied at SS now with Iloka and Williams to groom behind him, I find myself biting my nails when I see Reggie Nelson get dinged. 

Nope. Neither surprise me.  I started looking at 1st and 2nd round CB's at about 4:15pm Sunday.  It sucks, but is what it is.  In fact, I could actually see us taking two CB's in the top 3 rounds this year, as I think we've all agreed that a CB somewhere in 1-3 was already looking like a need.  Dre may really show up, and Ghee too, but how do you plan for guys who are always injured to not be? 

FWIW, I saw a description of Joyner as a Tyrann-Mathieu-type player.  Apparently, he was all over the place against Clemson (strips, picks, etc.).  If there's one thing I'm missing on our D right now it's the glaring lack of defensively forced turnovers.

How do you feel about Safety? Although I'm pretty satisfied at SS now with Iloka and Williams to groom behind him, I find myself biting my nails when I see Reggie Nelson get dinged. 

The Clemson game probably qualifies as Joyners coming out party for most fans, but I've had my eyes on him for some time now. He's incredibly instinctive but undersized, which probably explains the Mathieu comparison, but unlike Mathieu Joyner is a high character player who started games at both safety positions earlier in his career. Pretty solid tackler for his size and IMHO Joyner plays bigger and faster than his size would suggest is possible. Seems to have settled in very nicely at CB this season and plays the positon like a natural if you can overlook his size. That said, I'm not sure the Bengals would be willing to do that, as they do have a long history of liking bigger corners and almost no history whatsoever of liking smaller guys. But IMHO the kids a straight up baller with a knack for making big plays, and yeah.....he just made me look good by going off against Clemson only hours after I had pimped him.

As for FS, I'm a pretty big Reggie Nelson fan so I can't really say I see it as a need.

The Clemson game probably qualifies as Joyners coming out party for most fans, but I've had my eyes on him for some time now. He's incredibly instinctive but undersized, which probably explains the Mathieu comparison, but unlike Mathieu Joyner is a high character player who started games at both safety positions earlier in his career. Pretty solid tackler for his size and IMHO Joyner plays bigger and faster than his size would suggest is possible. Seems to have settled in very nicely at CB this season and plays the positon like a natural if you can overlook his size. That said, I'm not sure the Bengals would be willing to do that, as they do have a long history of liking bigger corners and almost no history whatsoever of liking smaller guys. But IMHO the kids a straight up baller with a knack for making big plays, and yeah.....he just made me look good by going off against Clemson only hours after I had pimped him.

As for FS, I'm a pretty big Reggie Nelson fan so I can't really say I see it as a need.

I like Joyner as a decent fit here. I'm not convinced he is an every down player, but I think he could be a difference maker in the nickel on 3rd downs.

Leon Hall has arguably made his biggest impact on 3rd down as a shut down slot guy with his combo of speed and tackling ability. I think Joyner could be very good in that same role.

I would grab him in round 2 if he was available.

I like Joyner as a decent fit here. I'm not convinced he is an every down player, but I think he could be a difference maker in the nickel on 3rd downs.

Leon Hall has arguably made his biggest impact on 3rd down as a shut down slot guy with his combo of speed and tackling ability. I think Joyner could be very good in that same role.

I would grab him in round 2 if he was available.

I guess they call 'em way too early mock drafts because draft sites have no idea where to rank some of these guys....making early mocks based upon those rankings little more that an exercise in unrealistic bargain hunting.

Case in point, when I put together my first mock less than two weeks ago Joyner was ranked by Draftscout as a late 3rd rounder. As of today he's already moved up into the 2nd round. Further, in his "This is what I'd do" mock EmDiggy had him going off the board only one pick after the Bengals selection in the 1st round.   

Also of some note, by most accounts top CB prospects like Roby and Purifoy are having poorer seasons than expected and in some rankings, Draftscout included, are now projected as 2nd rounders. By comparison, TCU's Jason Verrittt looks like a guy who isn't getting the love I think he deserves, probably because he's even more slightly built than Joyner.

He has yet to play this year, but I'm really thinking Antone Exum from VA Tech would be a good choice if he's available in the 2nd or 3rd - depending of course on how the medical issues check out.  He started out in college as a safety and switched to CB prior to blowing out his knee playing basketball.  He looks like a nearly perfect fit for what the Bengals ask of their safeties and has the size and speed to drop down to corner as well.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/exum_antone.html

This is definitely one of the wait-and-see players yet, since he's just recently been cleared to play again.  Should get to find out how well recovered he is from the knee surgery over the next month or so.

are you crazy? 

good chance Hyde is the first back off the board when it's all said and done....even if he isn't, he's a 2nd rounder at worst.

IMO, best back in the country.

I agree that Hyde likely won't make it to 5, but I don't think he is considered the basset back by many (if any) of the experts.  He is probably looking like a mid 3 now, so if we want him we may have to trade down in 2 or up in 3.

I agree that Hyde likely won't make it to 5, but I don't think he is considered the basset back by many (if any) of the experts.  He is probably looking like a mid 3 now, so if we want him we may have to trade down in 2 or up in 3.

I'd kind of rather turn to Burkhead as the pounder, and pick up Jordan Hall in say the 5th as a speedster if they're gonna go with an OSU back.

Nothing against Hyde, but more of a "draft slot value" perspective.

IMO Hall can be a weapon as a return man and a RB/WR on offense.

I'd kind of rather turn to Burkhead as the pounder, and pick up Jordan Hall in say the 5th as a speedster if they're gonna go with an OSU back.

Nothing against Hyde, but more of a "draft slot value" perspective.

IMO Hall can be a weapon as a return man and a RB/WR on offense.

It doesn't have to be Hyde, but I really want to replace BJGE.  We can do better.  And I'm not convinced Burkhead has power back potential.

It doesn't have to be Hyde, but I really want to replace BJGE.  We can do better.  And I'm not convinced Burkhead has power back potential.

I think Burkhead can.  His running style reminds me of a poor-mans Marshawn Lynch.  

I expect Gio to be the guy next year, with Burkhead being the bruiser back and also replace Peerman on special teams.  

I could see two new RB's next year behind Gio and Burkhead.   While I don't dislike BJGE, I think he's a cap casualty next year.

I hope we can draft Hyde in the 4th also, i really like him as a big move the pile bruiser.

I want us to go BPA in the 1st and 2nd, i hope its between these 3 positions.

CB, LB, S.....we need to assume our D line will be healthy next year i also think the bengals really like Cook and he will stick as our starting center.

At CB my current favorite is Kyle Fuller from VATech. He has the size/speed combo that you look for and has rare awareness. He's just a real good football player.

He's got a lot of talent. Another guy I like is Darquez Dennard from Michigan State. Playmaker, has good speed and size. Physical, intense player. They've got a really nice defense there. 

Another Big 10 guy who's coming back from injury that isn't as much of a need is Jake Ryan of Michigan. Not just 'cuz he's got long blond hair, but he reminds me some of Clay Matthews of GB. Makes a lot of plays - can blitz, cover - a "do everything," 3-down LB'er. 

I agree that Hyde likely won't make it to 5, but I don't think he is considered the best back by many (if any) of the experts.  

yeah maybe not at the moment, and a lot of that has do do with getting suspended for the first 3 games, but I'm willing to bet big that he's one of the first backs to come off the board once the draft process plays itself out.....barring injury, he'll be a top 40 pick at worst.

yeah maybe not at the moment, and a lot of that has do do with getting suspended for the first 3 games, but I'm willing to bet big that he's one of the first backs to come off the board once the draft process plays itself out.....barring injury, he'll be a top 40 pick at worst.

I do think he is a very good back, and the bruiser I want most.

He is also a good receiver out of the backfield and not a bad blocker.

But there are those who do not think he is explosive enough.

I do think he is a very good back, and the bruiser I want most.

He is also a good receiver out of the backfield and not a bad blocker.

But there are those who do not think he is explosive enough.

a guy I watched yesterday that I think you would like is Jerome Smith from Syracuse.

He reminds me of Rod Smith from Ohio State, but more polished and experienced.

So you are saying, compared to this year, for example, that he'd be the first back drafted and taken before Gio and Lacy?  I actually like Hyde, despite the fact that he's a Buckeye, because he's demonstrated toughness, blocking ability, and can catch and remove surprisingly well for such a big back.  But I don't see anyway he goes so soon.  Frankly, it'd be a shocker if he went before the third...

EDIT: Didn't see 1181's post before I wrote mine.  But yeah, what he said.

So you are saying, compared to this year, for example, that he'd be the first back drafted and taken before Gio and Lacy?  I actually like Hyde, despite the fact that he's a Buckeye, because he's demonstrated toughness, blocking ability, and can catch and remove surprisingly well for such a big back.  But I don't see anyway he goes so soon.  Frankly, it'd be a shocker if he went before the third...

EDIT: Didn't see 1181's post before I wrote mine.  But yeah, what he said.

which post? because we have different views on Hyde.  I'll be shocked if he's still there in the 3rd.

Archived