The reedy thread (Joe Reedy is no longer a Bengals Beat Writer)

From the "dolphins week notes" thread. Some people were talking about someone that sent a tweet to reedy calling him a douche and then reedy went on to report this person to his/her boss.

I ended up sending a tweet to reedy, telling him that I read about this on a message board... He replied and telling me that it was true... Anyway, the person (that this happened to) asked me where did I hear about this? I told him and I told him to create and account and to let us know what happened.

He told me that he wasn't able to post, I don't know if it is because he's a new user or what? But I am just starting this thread to see if he is able to reply..... Is there any reason why he wouldn't be able to post yet?

From the "dolphins week notes" thread. Some people were talking about someone that sent a tweet to reedy calling him a douche and then reedy went on to report this person to his/her boss.

I ended up sending a tweet to reedy, telling him that I read about this on a message board... He replied and telling me that it was true... Anyway, the person (that this happened to) asked me where did I hear about this? I told him and I told him to create and account and to let us know what happened.

He told me that he wasn't able to post, I don't know if it is because he's a new user or what? But I am just starting this thread to see if he is able to reply..... Is there any reason why he wouldn't be able to post yet?

I think you may have to reach a certain number of posts before you can post a new topic.

I'm pretty certain Reedy has posted on here before. Either that or somebody pretending to be him.

One thing you can be sure of is that he reads posts.  His narcissism demands it. 

Hell, he probably gets half his team news from here too.  I'm hoping this new guy Harvey provides some competition in the market that might actually force the local paper to step up its game.

There's absolutely no reason for Reedy to post here, especially given the way some people on here treat him. I would love for Joe to engage us as a poster but I don't really see it happening because for one, we are a rude and crude bunch, and for two, it's likely easier for him to troll our site as a guest to fuel his mind for topics to write about as an official journalist and he doesn't have to give us any credit for any of the ideas he may gain because we are an opinion-based board and again, we tend to treat someone like him as shit, when we really shouldn't. If anyone has certifiable links to him posting here and his interaction with us I'd love to see them.

I like Joe Reedy. He's a damn sight better than Hobson with his cheesy attempts at journalistic humor, particularly in his titles, and he's for sure better than Chick or Cutler, both of whom are pretty much cut off from local media outside of maybe WLW (Cutler...and I'll never forget that video of Cutler's pudgy ass chasing Coach Gillespie down as Billy attempted to pretend he was on the phone to avoid Alan after he was fired....comedy gold).

And we don't even need to mention Paul Daugherty, even though I just did.

Reedy is the best of a foul bunch making a lot of bad noise. He and Lap are my favorites when it comes time to ask questions in pressers or in the locker room after a game. He and Lap seem to have it dialed in in terms of what kinds of questions to ask Marvin, for instance, because Lewis is so reticent to reveal anything and disguises being a dickhead to the media with his inane laughter.

Unless a media personality takes a stand and decides to leave impartiality behind as Daugherty did (and I am sure some of his cohorts revere him), there's no reason for the hate and I would welcome them here. We need to be polite to these individuals, people.

I know for a fact I heard SOMEONE (not sure whom) on a Mo Egger show directly reference this website as "the good people of go-bengals,com" in a sarcastic manner and Mo laughed with him like he understood that we are the heathens that we are. And we are, and I don't give a fuck for the most part, but if any of these guys ever engages us again, let's be intelligent when we interact with them...in conjunction with our vulgarity, of course. 

Now that I think about it, I do think it was Hobson on Mo's show that made that reference. But I am not certain because I am often inebriated. Like right now. I am craving raw oysters.

I know for a fact I heard SOMEONE (not sure whom) on a Mo Egger show directly reference this website as "the good people of go-bengals,com" in a sarcastic manner and Mo laughed with him like he understood that we are the heathens that we are. And we are, and I don't give a fuck for the most part

This warms my loins. 

There's absolutely no reason for Reedy to post here, especially given the way some people on here treat him. I would love for Joe to engage us as a poster but I don't really see it happening because for one, we are a rude and crude bunch, and for two, it's likely easier for him to troll our site as a guest to fuel his mind for topics to write about as an official journalist and he doesn't have to give us any credit for any of the ideas he may gain because we are an opinion-based board and again, we tend to treat someone like him as shit, when we really shouldn't. If anyone has certifiable links to him posting here and his interaction with us I'd love to see them.

I like Joe Reedy. He's a damn sight better than Hobson with his cheesy attempts at journalistic humor, particularly in his titles, and he's for sure better than Chick or Cutler, both of whom are pretty much cut off from local media outside of maybe WLW (Cutler...and I'll never forget that video of Cutler's pudgy ass chasing Coach Gillespie down as Billy attempted to pretend he was on the phone to avoid Alan after he was fired....comedy gold).

And we don't even need to mention Paul Daugherty, even though I just did.

Reedy is the best of a foul bunch making a lot of bad noise. He and Lap are my favorites when it comes time to ask questions in pressers or in the locker room after a game. He and Lap seem to have it dialed in in terms of what kinds of questions to ask Marvin, for instance, because Lewis is so reticent to reveal anything and disguises being a dickhead to the media with his inane laughter.

Unless a media personality takes a stand and decides to leave impartiality behind as Daugherty did (and I am sure some of his cohorts revere him), there's no reason for the hate and I would welcome them here. We need to be polite to these individuals, people.

I know for a fact I heard SOMEONE (not sure whom) on a Mo Egger show directly reference this website as "the good people of go-bengals,com" in a sarcastic manner and Mo laughed with him like he understood that we are the heathens that we are. And we are, and I don't give a fuck for the most part, but if any of these guys ever engages us again, let's be intelligent when we interact with them...in conjunction with our vulgarity, of course. 

Now that I think about it, I do think it was Hobson on Mo's show that made that reference. But I am not certain because I am often inebriated. Like right now. I am craving raw oysters.

Reedy is a dick. Even when he doesn't have to be, he is. He would rather make fun of the semantics someone used to ask a question than actually answer the questions. If he doesn't like dealing with stupid people all day, don't be sportswriter in the time of social media. You listen to NFL radio and I swear half the people that call in have an IQ under 50, but those guys treat them all with respect and just disagree with their asinine opinions. The NFL is america's game and america is full of stupid people, if you don't like that don't get a job related to it.

Reedy is a dick. Even when he doesn't have to be, he is. He would rather make fun of the semantics someone used to ask a question than actually answer the questions. If he doesn't like dealing with stupid people all day, don't be sportswriter in the time of social media. You listen to NFL radio and I swear half the people that call in have an IQ under 50, but those guys treat them all with respect and just disagree with their asinine opinions. The NFL is america's game and america is full of stupid people, if you don't like that don't get a job related to it.

if there's one thing I've learned about Sports Radio, the intelligent fans generally aren't the ones who call in.

I don't care if you like/dislike Reedy's style/sense of humor/overall shittiness as a person. The fact is, he looked up someone on social media, and tried to have someone FIRED because he called him a mean name on twitter. Fuck that guy. I hope deadspin finds out and is interested enough to rip him up and down like he deserves. A grade A piece of shit in my book.

I don't care if you like/dislike Reedy's style/sense of humor/overall shittiness as a person. The fact is, he looked up someone on social media, and tried to have someone FIRED because he called him a mean name on twitter. Fuck that guy. I hope deadspin finds out and is interested enough to rip him up and down like he deserves. A grade A piece of shit in my book.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure why, but this story really "grinds my gears". It's not enough that he is constantly getting scooped by national/ non-local journalists but he has to be a condescending prick at every turn. Again, I'm not sure why this piqued my ire to the degree it did, it just seems like maybe he should spend more time being better at his job and less time worrying about dispensing justice.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure why, but this story really "grinds my gears". It's not enough that he is constantly getting scooped by national/ non-local journalists but he has to be a condescending prick at every turn. Again, I'm not sure why this piqued my ire to the degree it did, it just seems like maybe he should spend more time being better at his job and less time worrying about dispensing justice.

tumblr_mcxu8vamnP1rikiwao1_500.jpg

The one thing he did do is get everyone talking about him...

Greetings to all. I guess I am the reason this thread exists in the first place so I figure I will share my story.

It was about 3 years ago when this all went down so details won't be 100% accurate but I looked at my twitter feed and that jogged my memory. I was going back and forth with Joe about marvin Lewis and he like he always does started getting his condescending tone with me. So I went back at him calling him out for posting a bunch of stupid things not relevant to the bengals. Then he told me to unfollow. Which I don't think I was following at the time.

But around the same time I had found a site that would essentially let you parody someone's twitter account by copying their HTML coding to create a fake post as someone. However it clearly displayed disclaimers that it was not the person. So I made a fake "post" as reedy that read something to the effect of "I'm a douchebag and I suck at everything" which I deleted my twitter post however the pic remains on my twitpic account if you want to check @shakwurst

A few hours later I get a call from my boss asking if I know who Joe Reedy is. Which as he accurately pointed out was my father. My family owned a chain of banquet halls in the Cincinnati area (that we sold our interests in) and I was general manager of one of the buildings at the time. I have since moved on but that had nothing to do with this scenario. Which all that stuff if irrelevant but joe felt the need to say it so I'll explain it.

But anyways my dad knew as much about twitter as joe does common decency so after explaining to him what twitter was and what happened he was even more confused as to why a grown man would do something so childish. On both our ends might I add.

After his failed attempt at "telling the teacher" he then went on to his feed to brag about his "accomplishment" which accomplished nothing. But he cited a story where a journalist who actually went to the house of a person who attacked them in an online post in attempt to have an actual conversation with the person. Can't remember the exact link of the story he posted but I'm sure it's still in his feed.

But ultimately his goal was to at the very least get me reprimanded or at the very worst (and probably more likely) get me fired.

I am no saint. Hell most likely I am an asshole so maybe the old adage "takes one to know one" is applicable to this situation. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to feed stupid questions all day but he shouldn't act as if he is superior to his readers. If he wants to have the pissed off at the world twitter by all means, that's probably how mine looks, but I think the enquirer should step in and tell him to create a personal account and a business account.

I would guess the editors do not read his twitter because it is beyond me how they would think that attitude is acceptable. We as fans, and in the case of the enquirer paying customer deserve better and if they don't provide the few who have yet to move on to Coley and CincyJungle will follow suit in short form.

Archived