Who is the Bengals best defensive player?

The Best?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Bengals best defensive plaer?

• Geno
    • Vontaze
    • Hall
    • Someone else

I think its #97.  Seriously, he may be the best pure inside pass rusher since Sapp was so dominant.  I mean Taz is awesome, but Geno can absolutely destroy an offensive gameplan.  This unbelievable defense would be lights out if Geno was still out there.  Sad to think about. 

Geno does what Taze does, but has to shove aside 300 LBser to do it.

Nothing against Taze, he's the best LB we've had in a long time.

Nah. Tez calls the plays & runs sideline to sideline + often has to shed the big uglies too. As well as cover pass targets . Has to play smarter with more responsibility

Very hard to compare the two and both have rare, elite skills. But I believe the drop off is MUCH bigger losing Tez out of the lineup vs Geno.

I'd be interested in Marvin and Zimm's opinion . Especially since Marv compares Tez to Ray Ray. And he's one of the greatest of all time.

I posted on another thread

Bengals LB Burfict making case for MVP

By Coley Harvey | December 4, 2013 2:30:30 PM PST
CINCINNATI -- It's Wednesday, and that means ESPN.com's Dan Graziano has his released his weekly NFL MVP Watch. And guess what? For the first time in several weeks, a member of the Cincinnati Bengals ended up on it.

No, that person is not A.J. Green. It's not BenJarvus Green-Ellis. No member of the Bengals' offense ended up in Graziano's top 10. Instead, and perhaps rightfully so, one of Cincinnati's defenders was considered on the list.

Linebacker Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals' undrafted second-year player, has slipped in after a head-turning campaign that currently has him leading the league in tackles. Burfict's 131 stops rank just ahead of Kiko Alonso's 125 and Paul Posluszny's 113.

On Graziano's list, Burfict ranks 10th out of 10.

Don't be perturbed by that relatively low ranking, though, Bengals fans. Burfict's the only defensive player Graziano is considering. The watch list is headed by Denver quarterback Peyton Manning. Seattle's Russell Wilson, New Orleans' Drew Brees and Carolina's Cam Newton round out the top 4. Detroit's Calvin Johnson was the first non-quarterback on the list, coming in at No. 5.

Here's the blurb on Burfict:

10. Vontaze Burfict, Bengals LB. Extensive research by the tireless MVP Watch staff has confirmed that no player named Vontaze has ever won an MVP award in any of the four major American pro sports leagues. So history is not on his side. But if history were on his side, and if it were carrying a football, Burfict likely would tackle it. Hes leading the league in tackles and came up with 13 of them on a bad ankle Sunday in a big victory in San Diego. The Bengals defense has weathered the loss of superstar lineman Geno Atkins better than anyone could have expected, and Burfict is a big part of the reason why.

So what do you think? Does Burfict belong on this watch list? Has he made enough of a case for inclusion on it?

My take is yes and yes. He deserves to be in this discussion just like he deserves to be in the Defensive Player of the Year and Pro Bowl selection conversations. After all, he is on a winning team and has been a big reason for its success. Is No. 10 too low? No, especially when you consider the fact that either Manning or Wilson probably will end up winning the MVP trophy.

Here's what Burfict said earlier this week about handling the sudden attention that has been coming his way as a result of his play:

"I don't care. I'm just playing football. At first no one knew who I was and now my name is blowing up. I'm just trying to play football and play for Sundays."

Well, if you keep playing this way, Vontaze, even more people will know your name.

yep..his energy fuels those around him to give more as well..he will be better than the murderer

Another thing I like about him. Have you ever noticed when Nuge kicks a game winner or the offense has a big play. He is always the 1st on the field jumping around patting his teammates on the helmet ? The guy really cares if they win or lose.

And talk about an enforcer that we've needed for years. He hits harder than anyone I've seen for a long time. The last play before half vs Chargers. Ouch

Another thing I like about him. Have you ever noticed when Nuge kicks a game winner or the offense has a big play. He is always the 1st on the field jumping around patting his teammates on the helmet ? The guy really cares if they win or lose.

And talk about an enforcer that we've needed for years. He hits harder than anyone I've seen for a long time. The last play before half vs Chargers. Ouch

Yep..hope he stays humble, hungry and loyal come next payday

Crazy to think best DT in franchise history with maybe best LB in franchise history getting started together.

Hmmmmm Brooks and Sapp?

Just looking at the Bengals I would put them just behind Krumrie and Williams at this point with the potential to be the best.   

Best = Geno

Most important = Vontaze

How I feel.  Geno the best.  But Vontaze is the heart and soul of this defense.   You hear it from the likes of MJ, Peko, Nelson, Crocker,.....   

yep..his energy fuels those around him to give more as well..he will be better than the murderer

I voted for Burfict, but I admit that I may have blurred the lines with best vs most important/irreplaceable, and then throw in the intangibles like heart, soul, identity, purveyor of badass attitude which infects other players, etc.  In some ways it is hard to differentiate, but I guess it should be clearer.  In any case, Geno goes down and we have guys that pickup the slack and we move forward successfully.  If Burfict went down, I don't think we can say that.

So maybe technically Geno is the best, but unless you are limiting the vote to that technicality, I don't see how you can vote for anyone but Burfict.

I think its Taze.  Geno is great for sure and there is no doubting that at all.  However, this defense hasnt skipped a beat without him and that includes playing one of the hotter offenses and qb's this past week.  He just flat out ignites this defense.  Whoever wrote Geno is best and Tez is most important is probably best described the two, but for now since he's not in uniform, I would go with Taze.

I think its Taze.  Geno is great for sure and there is no doubting that at all.  However, this defense hasnt skipped a beat without him and that includes playing one of the hotter offenses and qb's this past week.  He just flat out ignites this defense.  Whoever wrote Geno is best and Tez is most important probably best described the two, but for now since he's not in uniform, I would go with Taze.

I think Go is sitting back and thinking , i told u assholes that all we needed was a bad ass mlb and this d would be complete no matter who else was here :1hump:  

Go as in GoBengals?  Has he even commented on anything other than QB and OC since Brat got canned?   I must have missed it.  

Nah. Tez calls the plays & runs sideline to sideline + often has to shed the big uglies too. As well as cover pass targets . Has to play smarter with more responsibility

Very hard to compare the two and both have rare, elite skills. But I believe the drop off is MUCH bigger losing Tez out of the lineup vs Geno.

I'd be interested in Marvin and Zimm's opinion . Especially since Marv compares Tez to Ray Ray. And he's one of the greatest of all time.

That's just saying that the other DL are better collectively than our other LBs.  Which is true, because LB is the spot on the defense where we have gone on the cheap in terms of draft picks and FAs.

Archived