It's Official, Zimmer Era Over

Congrats to Zim!

Regarding the replacement, I know I'd prefer Guenther to Coyle.  I read various 'Fins forums saying the secondary was good but the rest of the D sucked.  Course Coyle was originally a secondary coach so that stood true.  However, I think Guenther has done more for our LB core over the last 2 years than any other position coach under Lewis.  So on that count he deserves a shot.  Hopefully Zim doesn't get to Guenther first.

The thing is, that they have known for quite a while that Zimmer was going to be gone.  Whether last year, this year, or next year, someone was finally going to wake up and give him an opportunity.  You are probably right, there is not a lot of chance we are better than last year, considering we were third overall, but I do believe that with the talent base that we have, we should still be a top ten D.  As far as Guenther, if they decide to do that, it would be similar to what happened to Zimmer when he went from DB coach to DC with Dallas, and his DC was Campo.  Guenther, at least, has spent the last 6 seasons working directly with Zimmer, especially on game planning and defending the passing game.  I think he's been groomed for the position.

Appreciate the response. Very reasoned. 

Happy for Zim, but he has a tough road ahead. No QB, playing in an outdoor college stadium. Tough to attract quality FA to that environment. I wish him luck, he deserves it.

He doesn't mind.  Zimmer takes that kind of sisters of the poor stuff and builds a team's identity out of it. They will get strong.

We usually agree, Ken...but this time, I can't see any positives to this. If you are going to say "Guenther"...there is no body of work at the defensive coordinator position with which to judge. Coupled with the exodus of players--bound to happen now--and the change in the defensive scheme/playcalling (which will naturally happen with someone new, regardless of how much of the "old system" is kept in place) this coming year will in no way be even or better than what it was last. Show me I am wrong.  

cat-screaming-no.jpg

1. Congrats to Mike Zimmer, he definitely deserved it.  I seriously believe he was the best defensive coach that has ever been here by a mile.

2. I have to agree with a lot of this.  Zimmer was a magician.  The guy took a group of rejects, has beens, mid level picks and undrafted FAs and somehow made them a great unit.  His defense suffered staggering losses due to injury but somehow he managed to kept it going.  He had very few first rounders (not counting Jones, Newman and Nelson who few wanted) yet somehow he made it work.  For the life of me, I have never seen a coach get more out of his players than Zimmer.   This is a big loss for the team.

Congrats to Zimmer. Thanks, and good luck!

I think those thinking we're screwed should take a deep breath. While I like Zimmer a lot, he didn't do any of this without loads of talented players and assistants. We're still in good shape.

I'd like Guenther. He knows the defense, the players like him, and Marvin, Zimmer, and Gruden all like him enough to want him too.

Congrats to Zimmer. Thanks, and good luck!

I think those thinking we're screwed should take a deep breath. While I like Zimmer a lot, he didn't do any of this without loads of talented players and assistants. We're still in good shape.

I'd like Guenther. He knows the defense, the players like him, and Marvin, Zimmer, and Gruden all like him enough to want him too.

I would not say we are screwed short term.  I just haven't seen a guy who gets more out of his players than Zimmer.   

Congratulations to Zimmer. He deserves a chance as a head coach. It's a good hire for the Vikings.

This is also pretty bad news for the Bengals. Marvin hasn't shown the ability to make a good DC hire apart from Zimmer. We may lose some free agents to Minnesota because of this. I'd think the Vikes make MJ an offer as Jared Allen's replacement. 

We'd be much better off if Marvin had been fired after the playoff debacle with Zimmer as Bengals head coach. Now we still have the guy who can't win a playoff game but without the wind beneath his wings in Zimmer. 

I would not say we are screwed short term.  I just haven't seen a guy who gets more out of his players than Zimmer.   

Well, I will say this:

One of the things that defined the linebacking group this season was toughness.  Those guys took a lot of dings and kept at it.  Now, that may have been the influence of their leader, Vontaze Burfict, but I have a feeling, from the stuff I saw on Hard Knocks, that Guenther has something to do with that mindset as well.

Seriously?  The guy already has offers from the Bengals, the Vikings as DC and another offer from the Redskins.  He's weighing all three options.  Does that show you what Marv/Zim/Gruden think of that guy?  Highly.

More importantly, I think the plucking of both of our coordinators for HC jobs shows just how far this organization has come in terms of how it is ran and the respect we are garnering within the league...even if the talking heads still won't give us much in the way of props. I think we will be fine and it will be interesting to see whom they bring in versus whom they might consider from within for the vacant DC spot.

:bullhorn: Teams need to change the way they do coaching contracts ... Mike Brown should have told the Vikings to get fucked! If you're under contract, then just like a player you're ours until it ends! Don't like it, tough shit! 

You don't let a backup player leave just because they might get a promotion to be s starter on another team. Why a coach?  :45: 

Man this sucks, I loved Zimmers passion for the game and the intensity he used with our players that something that I think is missing in Marvin. Hope we pick right in his replacement Gunther might be that guy I have no idea he doesn't really have a body of work as a DC but that doesn't mean he can't do it I just hope he has the same intensity as Zimmer did. That said Vikes just became my favorite NFC team

Archived