Cheerleader files lawsuit against the Bengals

Yes the cheerleaders should be paid.  However, if they signed up for employment as a cheerleader they were fully aware of what the package included.

Can someone please explain why does someone knowingly work for peanuts and then turn around and sue for wages and other items ?  After reading the entire document posted by 1181, she knew what she was getting into and knew how much she was going to get paid. 

It doesn't matter what they agreed to. That's the point of a minimum wage law, it prevents people from agreeing to work for less. They should certainly be paid for any time they are required to be present, including practices. Frankly it's embarrassing if they really are putting in so many hours their total pay divided by the hours is less than minimum wage. No reason they should get less than the towel guy or peanut vendor.

Liberalism. First fast food workers, then the teeny tiny amount of people making minimum wage, and now cheerleaders. Soon enough, the welfare recipients that knowingly choose a life of welfare will be suing for $100k per year handouts.

People have a choice in what they make in this country (within reason). Dont like it? Better yourself in order to make more money.

:facepalm:

Oh, I don't know, big_dish. It isn't all that bad. I mean our society does let functional retards post on football bulletin boards.

Very progressive and non-offensive language from you. Nothing like a hypocritical bigot and his followers to start a morning off right!

Facepalm all you want boys. The opinion of people who choose to live in the dark and be a major part of a huge problem in this country means nothing to me. People can choose the job of their liking and determine the value they are worth. If you dont want a $90 a week "job", dont accept a $90 a week job. One of the VERY FEW people in this country that work for minimum wage but dont want to? Dont settle for minimum wage. Its a VERY simple premise. I'm sorry for some of you that you dont have the functioning brain power to comprehend the world of working for a living and earning your way.

Very progressive and non-offensive language from you. Nothing like a hypocritical bigot and his followers to start a morning off right!

Facepalm all you want boys. The opinion of people who choose to live in the dark and be a major part of a huge problem in this country means nothing to me. People can choose the job of their liking and determine the value they are worth. If you dont want a $90 a week "job", dont accept a $90 a week job. One of the VERY FEW people in this country that work for minimum wage but dont want to? Dont settle for minimum wage. Its a VERY simple premise. I'm sorry for some of you that you dont have the functioning brain power to comprehend the world of working for a living and earning your way.

Oh, I don't know, big_dish. It isn't all that bad. I mean our society does let functional retards post on football bulletin boards.

People can choose the job of their liking and determine the value they are worth.

I choose to be the uniform inspector & massage therapist for the Brazilian Women's Indoor Volleyball team.  I determine my value to be 500 bazillion dollars and a company moonbuggy.

*waits patiently*

I'd ask what you do for a living and how much you earn, but somehow I doubt it's CEO of BAMF, Inc that gets paid in gold bullion and frankly there's only so much pants-on-head fucktarded I can comprehend at one sitting.  Run the fuck along in whatever goof-assed Alex Jones-inspired world you live in where people are poor because they just don't work as hard as you.  JFC are you ever dense.

I choose to be the uniform inspector & massage therapist for the Brazilian Women's Indoor Volleyball team.  I determine my value to be 500 bazillion dollars and a company moonbuggy.

*waits patiently*

Would you hire me to help you? I'll take a sniffer position if I have to.

Would you hire me to help you? I'll take a sniffer position if I have to.

Hire you? WTF does that mean? Haven't you been paying attention? You get the sniffer position simply by wanting it bad enough. Maybe you have to click your heels together three times, too - not really sure about the details. You'll have to ask our resident economics & employment expert, big_dish.  That is, if he's not too busy cavorting in his champagne-filled gold-lined heated pool with mermaids.

I'd be happy to give you a lift in the moonbuggy, though. No need to even chip in on gas since it runs on unicorn farts & happy thoughts.

You know what...you are right, I shouldn't have called you a retard. But it was late last night and I took the lazy way to describe my thoughts. I hope you'll forgive me for using that word when a better way to express myself would be to say: That was a profoundly stupid and ignorant reply to Numbers' question. In fact, it was so amazingly ignorant--for example, it's clear that you don't have the foggiest idea of what "liberalism" is--that you actually seem to believe that parroting some weak and unthoughtful nostrums would actually suffice to explain the nature of employment practices in the early 21st century.

Plus, to call you a retard would be to do a disservice to retards--at least they have medical reasons for being so mistaken.

Yes the cheerleaders should be paid.  However, if they signed up for employment as a cheerleader they were fully aware of what the package included.

Can someone please explain why does someone knowingly work for peanuts and then turn around and sue for wages and other items ?  After reading the entire document posted by 1181, she knew what she was getting into and knew how much she was going to get paid. 

Sometimes it is necessary to challenge perceived injustices by using the mechanisms of our polis to get a more precise, lawful adjudication of the specific practices a citizen deems to be inequitable. It's a time-honored and oft-used tactic of our political system, not only with regard to economic conditions but also for civil matters.

Or maybe she just has a grudge.

*waits patiently*

I'd ask what you do for a living and how much you earn, but somehow I doubt it's CEO of BAMF, Inc that gets paid in gold bullion and frankly there's only so much pants-on-head fucktarded I can comprehend at one sitting.  Run the fuck along in whatever goof-assed Alex Jones-inspired world you live in where people are poor because they just don't work as hard as you.  JFC are you ever dense.

Sure, if you went to school for "uniform inspection" and massage therapy, graduated at the top of your class, worked your ass off to prove your value and continually upgraded and enhanced your education and standing within the uniform and massage industry, you would have a pretty good chance of getting that dream job.

But if you sit around and blame others for your shortcomings, NEVER improve your education (formally or on the job), NEVER improve your leadership capabilities, never volunteer in the community or do anything of value to ever earn that job, then of course you arent going to get it. Handouts only work in the cartoons- and even though you and your thought processes are certainly laughable cartoon characters, you dont deserve anything for doing nothing. It has nothing to do with being poor- it has everything to do with constantly striving to improve and putting the work in to advance.

And of course I am not a CEO of anything. Some day. I will tell you this- I have payroll jobs since I was 14. Prior to that, I cut grass, painted houses, cleared snow on driveways, babysat, cleaned houses etc etc to make money. I never had anything handed to me, never had an allowance. At 19 I went into the Navy with a special warefare designation. That didnt work out because it was ridiculously hard as shit to become a SEAL, so I was kicked back into the "normal" Navy and had to learn and perfect a whole new skillset. Worked my ass off- earned various medals and commendations and was honorably discharged after 4 years. Then I went to school for 5 years, and worked full time the entire time. I didnt get grants and free shit. I paid my own way. From there, I went into an incredibly difficult sales career that averages a 90+% failure rate within 2 years and by working 50-60 hour weeks and refusing to fail, I have managed to have a pretty reasonable amount of success over the past 8 years. No measure of success comes without sacrifice, hard work and refusal to let anyone take anything away from you that you can earn. 

I've lived in some pretty grimy places. North College Hill as young person, Over the Rhine a little later in life. I've seen plenty of people from both places choose to succeed, and plenty of people choose to fail. People like you encourage people to fail and blame others. People like me encourage people to succeed and determine their own path. Your thought process, and those like you- are an enormous part of the problem and blindly have no idea how devastating your blame others and grab government dependency rationale is to people who would otherwise be able to have much more success in life. You're like the devil sitting on the shoulder... always telling someone the wrong thing to do and making life worse.

And Alex Jones? I dont like that buffoon. Nor do I like Glen Beck or whomever else you may try to throw out. I'm a realist, not a political subscriber.

Sure, if you went to school for "uniform inspection" and massage therapy, graduated at the top of your class, worked your ass off to prove your value and continually upgraded and enhanced your education and standing within the uniform and massage industry, you would have a pretty good chance of getting that dream job.

:24:

But what about my moonbuggy?

Sometimes it is necessary to challenge perceived injustices by using the mechanisms of our polis to get a more precise, lawful adjudication of the specific practices a citizen deems to be inequitable. It's a time-honored and oft-used tactic of our political system, not only with regard to economic conditions but also for civil matters.

Or maybe she just has a grudge.

By mechanisms of our polis, I am assuming you mean the legal system of our citizens.  Just because an injustice is perceived, does not mean we should take this to court.  IF this were an injustice as perceived by ALL or a wide majority of the cheerleaders instead of two or three cheerleaders, I would understand.  I further understand that sometimes it takes a vocal minority to make a change necessary but in this case, I see things differently.  I see an intelligent lady who graduated from the University of Cincinnati who has in the past had employment that would make her a considerable amount of money as compared to what a cheerleader makes.  She has options that she has chose not to make.  Maybe there are cheerleaders without those options and maybe that is who she is speaking for, not sure.  Spend time in a college getting your degree and throw it all away on a minimum wage job / something less than minimum wage job ?  Something truly makes no sense on that aspect. 

Could be a grudge for being counseled regarding her lateness (?) as stated in the case file.  Not sure.

Not sure = I am not on the inside living their life as a cheerleader and as such have no real idea what the true benefits, rules, pay scale, etc.. are.  I only know what has been reported in the case files, the media, and some from those that know some of the cheerleaders.

My daughter is a High School Cheerleader and they don't pay her squat.  Hell the University of Kentucky's competition cheer squad is frekking ridiculous and certainly deserve more pay than these girls.

Not knocking the Ben-Gals, just realize that they are there for fun having known one well that taught at my son's preschool and yes she was pretty hot.  They put a little time in for practice but nothing like my daughter did while on the high school competition squad  which ended when she blew out both ankles at the same time during yet another expensive gymnastics lesson.

I also know Laura, the oldest one who became semi famous for making the squad at an advanced age pretty well.  She does it for fun and the challenge of making the squad.  Pay was never an issue.

My daughter is a High School Cheerleader and they don't pay her squat.  Hell the University of Kentucky's competition cheer squad is frekking ridiculous and certainly deserve more pay than these girls.

Not knocking the Ben-Gals, just realize that they are there for fun having known one well that taught at my son's preschool and yes she was pretty hot.  They put a little time in for practice but nothing like my daughter did while on the high school competition squad  which ended when she blew out both ankles at the same time during yet another expensive gymnastics lesson.

I also know Laura, the oldest one who became semi famous for making the squad at an advanced age pretty well.  She does it for fun and the challenge of making the squad.  Pay was never an issue.

Didn't Laura also write a book as the result of her experiences ?  Somewhere read that she also had some form of wellness center (or gym) or something like that also.

All I know is that we have'nt really fixed the fundamentals of what caused the 2008 crash, and despite what people like dish think its not caused by poor people, that when the next and bigger crash comes and it will come, people like dish will be wishing Obama was a socalist. 

Didn't Laura also write a book as the result of her experiences ?  Somewhere read that she also had some form of wellness center (or gym) or something like that also.

Yes she did.  I went to High School with her ex husband.  She lives very close to me, I have known her for about 15 years.  Her nickname is Bo-Peep for a Halloween costume she wore once.   Her kids all go to school with mine.

Nobody is saying the cheerleaders are in it for the money. But it is a job rather than an extracurricular activity (high school) or sport/class (college). So they should be paid the minimum wage at least. Are the ushers or concession stand workers volunteers? I assume they get paid but perhaps the team has other unpaid labor. 

Hire you? WTF does that mean? Haven't you been paying attention? You get the sniffer position simply by wanting it bad enough. Maybe you have to click your heels together three times, too - not really sure about the details. You'll have to ask our resident economics & employment expert, big_dish.  That is, if he's not too busy cavorting in his champagne-filled gold-lined heated pool with mermaids.

I'd be happy to give you a lift in the moonbuggy, though. No need to even chip in on gas since it runs on unicorn farts & happy thoughts.

I'm down with that :D

Just don't ask me to play Leap Frog with your Unicorn!

Nobody is saying the cheerleaders are in it for the money. But it is a job rather than an extracurricular activity (high school) or sport/class (college). So they should be paid the minimum wage at least. Are the ushers or concession stand workers volunteers? I assume they get paid but perhaps the team has other unpaid labor. 

For all of the girls, its an extracurricular activity. Nobody pays me to coach boys lacrosse yet I chose to do so.

For all of the girls, its an extracurricular activity. Nobody pays me to coach boys lacrosse yet I chose to do so.

Can I pay T-Dub to get hired instead of Rumble ?  I like that idea.  However, if any of the Brazilian Women's Indoor Volleyball team are banging their students in elementary school I will take a pass and will require the right of first refusal or to pass along said job back to Rumble...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSOumv-QQ4[/media]

Let me help you out.  The sad part in all of this is that you actually think these women consider this a job and $90 a week was the best they could do.

That is the reason for the down arrows, face palms and "special needs" comments. 

Archived