2014-2015 Expectations

What will make you happy for next season? It is a very open question but one I think everyone should think about during the offseason.

The past 3 seasons have all been improvements on the seasons before them. However, it still feels like more fans are unhappy than are happy. I start to get this feeling that our fan base (and maybe it is just all fan bases in general) has a feeling of never being happy. I feel like the team could be 8-0 at the halfway point and there would be people finding a way to be "unhappy" with something. Margin of victory, turnovers, passive free agency, Katy Perry songs being played in the stadium. Some people will always find a reason to be upset. So I pose this as a three part question, with full intentions of revisiting it when the time comes. But here are the questions.

1) As a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals, what needs to be done during free agency/draft to make you "happy"?

2) What would make you "happy" at the midpoint of the season?

3) What would make you "happy" with entire season?

I will post my own response later as well, as it requires some thinking.

1. I expect them to have another great value draft. The team doesn't have any massive needs and the draft is deep - they might be drafting 2016's superstars in May. It would very much make me happy if they were able to obtain Darqueeze Dennard and Jimmy Garoppolo without trading, I think both players fit the team for need and ability.

2. If they have a winning record and haven't lost to goddamn Cleveland at the midway point, I'll be pretty happy with that.

3. Considering how the team has been built and grown over the past 3 years - playoff W or it won't be a successful season. I'd consider earning a first-round bye equivalent to getting the first W. 

1. Don't care, nothing really. We have plenty of talent and we will this year too. 

2. Don't care, nothing really. We can beat the best teams in the league in the regular season, we did it this year. I'll enjoy the wins and mourn the losses, but won't be really "happy" with anything until the playoffs.

3. Win a playoff game. Even if they get the bye they need to win a game.

At this point I honestly think we could go 16-0 in the regular season and a lot of people would doubt our ability to win a playoff game until we do it (many of which would be our own fans). Another first round/game playoff loss and people will be done with both Marvin and Dalton. This franchise finds itself in a very odd place. Something better than mediocre, which is a huge improvement over much of the history, but far from good/great.  

1  Too late to make me "happy" with the offseason. That would have required firing Marvin and Paul Alexander and hiring Zimmer as HC with Guenther and someone like Norv Turner as OC. We should have hired Bostad or Munchak as our new O-line coach. Things we should still do this offseason: extend Burfict and perhaps Green. Find replacement for Kyle Cook, BJGE, and Dalton. Add some youth to the defense.

2  Six or more wins, including the home games and Cleveland road game. No major injuries.

3  We should have won the first round playoff game this year so I'd expect improvement from that to be happy. IE play in the AFC championship.

Kinda funny how it's assumed there will be a 4th consecutive playoff berth, but if they don't advance then everything just sucks. 

Speaking for myself, I'm not "assuming" a playoff birth.  I'm saying to make me happy they have to win a playoff game.

So, needless to say, if they don't make the playoffs, I won't be happy.

Kinda funny how it's assumed there will be a 4th consecutive playoff berth, but if they don't advance then everything just sucks. 

This is a thread about "what will make us happy". Obviously, no one will be happy if we miss the playoffs with a young supposedly improving team after making it 3 years in a row. So for any Bengals fan to be happy, assuming a playoff berth is the starting point. Like I said, light years ahead of where this franchise used to be, but still nothing to write home about.

This is a thread about "what will make us happy". Obviously, no one will be happy if we miss the playoffs with a young supposedly improving team after making it 3 years in a row. So for any Bengals fan to be happy, assuming a playoff berth is the starting point. Like I said, light years ahead of where this franchise used to be, but still nothing to write home about.

I guess I'm happy watching a good football team every weekend? We've got people saying they're not happy unless the team makes the AFC title game... Well. prepare yourselves for disappointment because only 2 teams get to do that, so the odds are against you.  I think some folks are a little overly-invested in the fortunes of an NFL franchise they have no control over.  That, and/or they're digging for reasons to be dissatisfied. 

I guess I'm happy watching a good football team every weekend? We've got people saying they're not happy unless the team makes the AFC title game... Well. prepare yourselves for disappointment because only 2 teams get to do that, so the odds are against you.  I think some folks are a little overly-invested in the fortunes of an NFL franchise they have no control over.  That, and/or they're digging for reasons to be dissatisfied. 

There's "Happy on Sunday", and then there is "Happy with the season".

For the remainder of the offseason, I'd like to see the offensive line solidified. Hopefully a change at center. I imagine they are going to use Whit's versatility to their advantage when addressing either tackle or guard but my desire is to keep Whit at guard, resign Collins if money is right. I'd also like to see a playmaker in the secondary. Like others here, I'd jump for joy with Dennard in the first round.

At the halfway point I hope they are at or near the top of the division. I'd like to see the running game emerge under Hue. More touches for Gio, less pass attempts for Dalton. On defense, hopefully more of what we've seen in the past. Wouldn't mind seeing a little more blitzing but wouldn't disappoint me if not. Would like to think at this point in the season, any changes to both offense and defense are now reaching a comfort level and they are ready for a good second half run.

Like others here, the only thing that will make me happy is reaching the playoffs and coming away with atleast one playoff win. Although I am both a Dalton and Lewis supporter, I will have a hard time continuing to be without a playoff win this year. On the flip side, when they do win a playoff game, I hope they get as much credit as they did blame this past year.

My expectations are a first round loss in the playoffs, fans frustrated about Dalton, fans frustrated about Lewis's game management and lots of discussion about whether or not Hue Jackson would be a better head coach than offensive coordinator. I expect the defense to take significant steps backwards with Guenther but be in the 10-16 range overall. I expect to look unprepared in big games. I expect MJ to leave for a big payday and all other FA's back. I expect Vincent Rey (and Lamur) to move Muaulaga to the bench. I expect a cornerback drafted with our first pick. I expect to sign Darren McFadden. I expect him to play 9-12 games but be a very solid contributor. I expect that we will roll with Nelson and Iloka at S to our detriment. I expect a long term contract for AJ Green who gets noticeably frustrated with Dalton by week 12 but publicly supports him. I expect Dalton gone after the season. I expect Margus Hunt to be drastically improved. I expect the D line to be about the same. I expect the LB corps to be improved. I expect CB and S to he a headache. I expect the OL to be improved. I expect that we sniff around trading for Jonathan Martin but don't follow through. I expect Collins to play LT and Whit LG. I expect this is the last year for Gresham in Cincy.

I didn't follow rules sorry. 

I would be happy to be 5-3 at the midway point and win a playoff game. 

I would be happy if they got a vet RB to pair with Gio, A vet QB to replace JJ and potentially push Dalton. A Vet or FA to start at safety and make plays. Get some better CBs. Start Vinnie Rey. Re-sign everyone but MJ although I want him back I don't expect it. 

1) As a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals, what needs to be done during free agency/draft to make you "happy"?

A draft that focuses on defense and the Oline.  Like most, I feel a CB is almost a must, but don't reach for one.  A mid to late round QB that we can develop as a quality backup.

Bengals:  at least six wins with no major injuries

Steelers:  an announcement that they're moving to London and no more than two wins

Browns:  A fired head coach by week 3 and they re-sign Spergon Wynn to be the starting QB

A Superbowl victory...anything less, IMO, is an underachieving season

The way I look at it is that our goal should be to win the Super Bowl. Continued progress in that direction would make me happy. I've been waiting more than 40 years so I can wait longer. Here's the problem though. The team had everything in their favor going into the playoffs this year to get that elusive first playoff win for Marvin and Andy. The team really has no excuses for losing that game. So we should already have a season with 1 playoff win. I don't think we'd have beaten Denver at Mile High. But to show improvement next season and make me happy means more than just winning 1 playoff game. That's what we already should have done. So that means winning 2 games (or getting a bye and winning 1). If we make it to the AFC championship game we're playing for a trip to the Super Bowl. If we just win a first round playoff game and lose the next, then we've only extended our season a couple weeks and Marvin is 1-6 instead of 0-5 in playoff games.

What will make you happy for next season? It is a very open question but one I think everyone should think about during the offseason.

The past 3 seasons have all been improvements on the seasons before them. However, it still feels like more fans are unhappy than are happy. I start to get this feeling that our fan base (and maybe it is just all fan bases in general) has a feeling of never being happy. I feel like the team could be 8-0 at the halfway point and there would be people finding a way to be "unhappy" with something. Margin of victory, turnovers, passive free agency, Katy Perry songs being played in the stadium. Some people will always find a reason to be upset. So I pose this as a three part question, with full intentions of revisiting it when the time comes. But here are the questions.

I will post my own response later as well, as it requires some thinking.

1) In simple terms, make the roster look better and deeper this year, compared to last year. if I had to give specifics, I would look to upgrade the offensive line. If they believed that drafting a tackle and a center could make them a more complete run-blocking and pass-blocking unit, Do It!!

Defensively, I would look to draft a DB who can come in right away and make impact-plays. I have no problem with a rookie making mistakes, as long as they can also do things that have the potential to change the game. I don;t want to see another DB who will need 3 years to have a chance to start and make plays. 

2) Through eight games, without knowing the schedule, I honestly believe that 7-1 is what would make me happy. I want to see improvement off of last year. New England and Denver will both have records in this neighborhood and I desperately want  a 1 or 2 seed. What would also make me happy is not having games like Chicago (which they have every year) in which they find a way to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. Great teams don't do that. Every team has let-down games, but to blow games on sheer stupidity never bodes well for the postseason. 

3) I would say 12-14 or 13-3 would make me happy. Again, I want this team to improve next season just like Seattle did last year. As far as the playoffs, I will only be happy with a Super Bowl. I could tolerate a season that ends in the AFC Championship game and not feel like we underachieved. 

Ok, fair enough.  I think my concern with two new coordinators is simply continuity. Not taking a step backwards with that much upheaval would be an accomplishment.

I can understand that.  I think that will largely be mitigated by promoting from within.  Especially on defense I don't think the playbooks will change much.  I think Hue will add a few things on offense, but I think the biggest difference will be play calling more than play book.  And I expect the language on both sides will stay the same.

This is ridulous. No one is saying they're going to seek out a ledge if we don't go to the AFC title game. We're talking about happiness in relation to football, not life. I don't understand why people get so sanctimonious. No bengals fan should be happy unless we improve off of last year. We have, perhaps, the most talented roster in the league. If we make no significant progress with it, that's unacceptable. Again, I say this from a football standpoint. Life will still go on regardless of how the Bengals play. For you to play that game is stupid.

1. I thought last year that we had to get 3 out of 4 of Dunlap, MJ, Atkins and Andre signed to long term deals. We did that. This offseason, I don't think there is a lot of pressure or expectations. I'd like for them to get long term deals in place with AJ and Vontaze, but if not now, it can happen next year or even the year after. No rush, but now seems like it would be a good time. 

There's not much I think the team needs to do in outside FA. We got Mike Pollak for less than $1M last year and he ended up being a really valuable and solid fill-in on the OL. I think a few signings like that would be fine. I'd like to keep our RFAs Vinny Rey and Andrew Hawkins.

As for the draft, nothing specific. I mean they are going to use the picks they have on the players they think are best. No real expectations from me...

2. Mid-point? I haven't really looked at the schedule, but they need to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. At least 4-4.

3. I think a successful season is a playoff win. If it doesn't happen I'm not going to be calling for everybody's heads though.

I can understand that.  I think that will largely be mitigated by promoting from within.  Especially on defense I don't think the playbooks will change much.  I think Hue will add a few things on offense, but I think the biggest difference will be play calling more than play book.  And I expect the language on both sides will stay the same.

I'm not too worried about scheme stuff, especially on offense.

The thing I do worry about a bit is the locker room, especially on defense. Those guys all respected Zimmer 100%, even some guys who had issues with coaching in their past (Vontaze, Pacman, Nelson). I think we'll probably be fine, but Zim was pretty exceptional in building the culture and it isn't impossible that it would slip a little bit without his big, demanding personality. He commanded loyalty and respect from those guys on a personal level that went beyond terminology, scheme, etc.

3. I think a successful season is a playoff win. If it doesn't happen I'm not going to be calling for everybody's heads though.

That's what I was referring to, the idea that if your team doesn't win it all the solution is to start shitcanning people.  Like making the postseason is automatic & any schlep of a coach would not only have them right back there the next year, but winning.  I think there are still fans waiting for the other shoe to drop, the same reason all the air goes out of the stadium the first time the other team makes a play.

Not long ago the bar was set at back-to-back winning seasons. Remember that? Now though, the team sucks because they haven't won a playoff game yet. Are people going to drop the weird fence-sitting stuff and admit this is a good team if they do win one, or will the bar get raised yet again?

"About time, but they'll never win a SB with (insert scapegoat)."

So yeah, that was the mentality I was referring to, that "realist" who would rather bank on getting to point and laugh at someone else than risk the possibility of disappointment.  I do think that shit goes beyond football, in that case.  For some people it seems like more of a lightning rod for whatever other stuff might be pissing them off.

Someone else said "no Bengals fan should be happy unless they improve off last year".  I think that's ridiculous. This is a good team now. I want a playoff win too but I'm not going to call it a failure if they were to get a bye and lose, like some have talked about. So yeah, I think there are fans who are projecting some shit there.  It's pretty easy to label anyone calling out that bullshit "sanctimonious" but it doesn't mean it isn't happening. 

Uh, firing Marvin after 11 or 12 years without a playoff win isn't acting in a kneejerk fashion. It's simply taking the next step toward winning a Super Bowl. Some guys can turn bad teams into average to decent ones without being able to turn good teams into champions. I think Marvin is in that camp, along with Marty Schottenheimer and others. That doesn't mean the next HC will be able to win a Super Bowl here, just that we know Marvin won't. How do we know it? Because he can't complete the first step despite multiple opportunities with favorable circumstances. I'm tired of squandering the window we have before Whitworth and the CBs are too old. 

Archived