2014 Free Agency Thread

Okay, then bet me if you think Blount will get a lot more money than McFadden. Name your terms...

I was speaking figuritively however I don't think McFadden is highly sought after. The Market for RBs isn't great and he isn't in the top three. Look at his career stats. He has never played more than 13 games in a year and only has one season over 700 yards in his career. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331215/article/eric-decker-darren-mcfadden-head-riskiest-free-agents-of-2014

2) Darren McFadden, running back

I'd never sign McFadden. Yes, he oozes talent -- but he will break your heart. Since going to theRaiders with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, McFadden has yet to complete a full season. In fact, he has logged double-digit starts just twice.

This is not a case of a player merely needing a change of scenery -- needing to get out of Oakland -- and waiting to hit his potential. You can't bank on him. Or, as one of the NFC's top talent evaluators simply stated: "He's injury-prone, big time. You can't sign him."

I think McFadden would be good in a committee provided his foot checks out. Oakland always seemed to run at least a 65/35 split. McFadden would be a guy that would probably be in a 60/40 split with Gio, with McFadden receiving 40% split. Just pulling numbers out of my buns, but I think it could work. I wouldn't mind some youth in the form of a draft pick, but McFadden is a home run hitter. We haven't had one of those in awhile.

the Saints are reportedly shopping Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles and Lance Moore.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/06/darren-sproles-pierre-thomas-lance-moore-trade-saints/

Maybe we could bring in Darren Sproles so Gio doesn't have to try to emulate Darren Sproles so hard.

Seriously, though, another guy who can do what he can do would be a prudent add to this team. Just not sure we need to pay $$ for that.

The DMC stuff doesn't make much sense. It would be interesting to compare RB contracts from similar guys last year. I don't believe there is a team who would risk paying him any substantial number due to his injury history. He has never played more than 13 games in a season and only onced rushed over 1000 yards. He seems like a guy who would be destined for a running back by committee situation even before the league moved to this situation being so common place. We fit the scenario of getting a cheap one year deal, with a familiar coach. Who would give him a big payday with Blount and Tate available. And Knowshon, Donald Brown, Toby Gerhart, MJD, Mendenhall, James Starks, Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings all available. The position is saturated with talent. 

Which teams really need a RB?
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/RB
Browns, Jaguars, Raiders, Cards
Maybe
Dolphins, Texans, Giants

Tate-Knowshon and Blount should get three of those 4 spots up top. 

They forgot the Colts LOL.

the Saints are reportedly shopping Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles and Lance Moore.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/06/darren-sproles-pierre-thomas-lance-moore-trade-saints/

I'd take any of them. Pierre Thomas, in particular, is very underrated, and Lance Moore would be a nice piece to add - he's not flashy, but he gets open and makes plays.

Not sure about his knees... I'd take a young Beason for sure, especially with less of an injury history, but not sure he's an upgrade now.

in general I can't see much new blood at linebacker at all.  I doubt they draft one high and you definitely won't see one brought in with free agency.

Pierre Thomas would be awesome to have in place of BJGE, an upgrade. 

Yes, he's more versatile, and he doesn't have as much mileage on him even though he's around the same age. I like BJGE and feel like he's great for the locker room, etc. and I like his ability in short yardage and finishing runs, but I wouldn't be at all opposed to an upgrade - and I don't imagine we'd be talking a lot of $. 

in general I can't see much new blood at linebacker at all.  I doubt they draft one high and you definitely won't see one brought in with free agency.

Unless there's someone who jumps off the page on draft day, I don't see it either - and especially assuming VRey is back, with Lamur, Dimanche, and Porter - and Mays, if he returns - I definitely don't see a veteran FA being brought in. 

Yeah, the LB depth chart is pretty loaded. Maualuga and Harrison's deals are up after next year, hopefully we will get to see more of Rey, Lamur, Porter, DiManche, and Joiner to know where we stand for 2015 and beyond.

I'm personally super excited about Lamur. He flashed often when he was a rookie and looked fantastic early in camp last year. I think he has a chance to not only be a starter, but potentially to develop into a star player here. At the very least, he should relegate Rey Maualuga to 1st and 2nd down only, a role Rey is better suited to (allowing him less exposure in the passing game). 

I'm personally super excited about Lamur. He flashed often when he was a rookie and looked fantastic early in camp last year. I think he has a chance to not only be a starter, but potentially to develop into a star player here. At the very least, he should relegate Rey Maualuga to 1st and 2nd down only, a role Rey is better suited to (allowing him less exposure in the passing game). 

Me too. Been a fan since I watched him at K-St. They don't call him the freak for nothing

Lamur and Rey are both so versatile that they give us great depth just having the two of them. Burfict and Maualuga can each play multiple spots too. Even Mays will allow us to keep one less guy because he can play special teams and backup both at safety and nickel lb and even Wlb.

personally I think a lot of people overrated Lamur after his rookie season based on one pass defensed on a ball Peyton Manning threw 2 yards behind his WR (who had 2 steps on Lamur). Even at Kansas State they took him off the field on passing downs.

The coaches seem to be very high on him though, so its clear that they see something in him in practice that he hasn't had the chance to show on the field yet.  He really hasn't accomplished anything as a player, but he definitely seems to be in the teams plans.  

personally I think a lot of people overrated Lamur after his rookie season based on one pass defensed on a ball Peyton Manning threw 2 yards behind his WR (who had 2 steps on Lamur). Even at Kansas State they took him off the field on passing downs.

The coaches seem to be very high on him though, so its clear that they see something in him in practice that he hasn't had the chance to show on the field yet.  He really hasn't accomplished anything as a player, but he definitely seems to be in the teams plans.  

disagree with the 1st part of your post. Seems to me he's underrated. Most people are saying oh yeah lamur I forgot about him. No idea about a Manning pass you're writing about. But based on his speed effort and quickness on the field is what excites me plus a sure tackler. But most of all hearing Marvin, Zimm and Paul repeating that Lamur is our best cover linebacker pretty much makes a believer out of me.

Do Bengals Have Their Own Malcolm Smith in Emmanuel Lamur?

By Jason Marcum -

Feb 9th, 2014 at 6:38 pm
6845988-590x409.jpg

When Super Bowl XVLIII was over, it was Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker Malcolm Smith who holding the MVP trophy and chanting “I’m going to Disney World!”

Smith had a fumble recovery in addition to 10 tackles on his way to taking home MVP honors. He also had the clinching interception in the Seahawks’ NFC Championship win over the 49ers, giving him three turnovers in the last two games of the season for Seattle.

But could that have been the Cincinnati Bengals and one of their own players celebrating a Super Bowl victory and an MVP trophy?

Perhaps, had Emmanuel Lamur been able to play this year. Projected as a starting linebacker in nickel defense packages, Lamur was the team’s best coverage linebacker and was in for a big season after a promising rookie campaign.

He was going to fill the same role with the Bengals as Smith did with the Seahawks. The second-year Lamur, a 6-4, 240-pound “freak” to his teammates, was a versatile player whom Mike Zimmer was building several packages around him.

Going back to their rookie year using Pro Football Focus’ grading system, Lamur actually had a better grade in his first year (+2.1) in 2012 than Smith did in his first year (-0.3) in ’11, and his grade only slightly rose in ’12 to +1.6.

In 136 snaps during his rookie year, Lamur allowed just seven receptions to players he covered. In 58 snaps, Smith allowed eight receptions during his rookie year, and allowed eight catches in 190 snaps in the following season.

In other words, Lamur was on pace to be as good as Smith, if not better. But a torn shoulder labrum in the final game of the preseason of ’13 cost him the entire season.

This season, Lamur would have often replaced Rey Maualuga on passing downs, who was repeatedly beaten anytime he was thrown at.

The Seahawks defense gets a lot of praise for it’s All-Pro players in Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett, but it’s how well their other players compliment each other’s game that made them so good this year.

Lamur wasn’t going to be an All-Pro or probably even a Pro Bowler, but the skill set he would have brought to the Bengals would have made the AFC’ No.1 defense even better and potentially enough to get past the Chargers in the Wild Card round.

His return next year cannot be overstated, and he’ll be a key piece on a defense that figures to once again finish in the NFL’s top 10.

disagree with the 1st part of your post. Seems to me he's underrated. Most people are saying oh yeah lamur I forgot about him. No idea about a Manning pass you're writing about. But based on his speed effort and quickness on the field is what excites me plus a sure tackler. But most of all hearing Marvin, Zimm and Paul repeating that Lamur is our best cover linebacker pretty much makes a believer out of me.

Lamur has a grand total of 42 career snaps on defense.  

I believe in Lamur because of what the coaches are saying, but not because of anything he's shown on the field, because he hasn't.

Archived