Roster Reset: AFC North

The AFC East remains Patriots country. The Broncos are pulling even further away from the pack in the AFC West. The Colts have no legitimate threat to their standing atop the AFC South.

One month into the new league year, the AFC North is the sole division in the conference with no clear-cut favorite.

After winning the division by three games last season, theBengals have lost both coordinators and one of their top young defensive stars without importing any big-name players.

They should get a serious challenge from the Ravens, now sporting a reloaded offense.

The Steelers aren't a dramatically different team than the one that won six of its final eight games last season. If they hit on a physical wide receiver and an impact defender early in the 2014 NFL Draft, the division could be theirs for the taking.

The Browns' roster is deeper now than it has been in a decade. Until they add an above-average quarterback and a winning culture, though, they will continue to bring up the rear in the AFC North.

In our Roster Reset series, Around the League will rank teams in each division based on how much they improved this offseason. The AFC North is up next.

1. Baltimore Ravens

Why they will bounce back:

General manager Ozzie Newsome entered the offseason dead-set on improving a derelict offensive unit that ranked fourth-worst in the NFL last season. A passing game that was overly reliant on Dallas ClarkBrandon Stokley and Ed Dickson now has possession receiver Steve Smith and second tight end Owen Daniels joining a healthy Dennis Pitta.

In addition to re-signing Eugene Monroe as a bulwark at left tackle, the Ravens traded for veteran center Jeremy Zuttah, welcomed left guard Kelechi Osemele back from injury and discarded an increasing liability in right tackle Michael Oher.

The Ravens are serious about overhauling a historically ineffective rushing attack.

Along with the Redskins, this should be one of the most improved offenses in the NFL.

Bmore_zps0523bd19.png

What's next:

» Ray Rice's standing: Indicted for aggravated assault, Rice is facing the possibility of jail time and/or an NFL suspension. Members of the coaching staff and front office have been unwavering in their support of Rice, who seems to be in no danger of losing his roster spot.

» Solidify right tackle and free safety: The Ravens plan to have Rick Wagner and Jah Reidcompete at right tackle, with the former as the favorite. Newsome has until the October trade deadline to obtain veteran insurance if he opts to let the youngsters sink or swim. Darian Stewart, an off-and-on starter with the Rams, is penciled in at free safety opposite Matt Elam.

» Revisit Rolando McClain: The former Raiders first-rounder is excited to play football again, and he's already met with Newsome about the possibility of returning to Baltimore. If McClain has his priorities straight, he has the talent to start over Josh Bynes and Arthur Brown.

2. Cleveland Browns

What's Changed:

The front office and coaching staffs were gutted while the organization's name was dragged through the mud in January and early February. Former Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine -- Rex Ryan's first lieutenant for nearly a decade -- is now running the show, with long-time Chiefs director of pro personnel Ray Farmer as general manager.

Pettine immediately replaced linebacker D'Qwell Jackson and hard-hitting safety T.J. Ward with hand-picked free agents Karlos Dansby and Donte Whitner. We grade those moves as a net push.

On the other side of the ball, new coordinator Kyle Shanahan traded in a broken-down Willis McGahee for Arian Foster's old sidekick, Ben Tate, at running back. The Browns also signed slot receiver Andrew Hawkins away from the Bengals while shoving Davone Bess out the door. An agingNate Burleson was added for depth.

The team recently made news by matching the Jaguars' offer sheet for transition player Alex Mack, maintaining stability on the offensive line.

Browns_zps7f5c9758.png

What's next:

» Find a franchise QB: Gone are Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell, responsible for 13 starts last season. The Browns have professed faith in Brian Hoyer, but better quarterbacks have struggled mightily upon returning from ACL surgery. This franchise won't be taken seriously as a playoff contender until they find a long-term answer at quarterback. The No. 4 overall pick in the draft is key.

» Upgrade on Greg Little: Little has been a drop-prone liability, and veteran Nate Burleson won't be guaranteed a roster spot. With Josh Gordon on one side and Hawkins in the slot, a viable No. 2 could make this the division's strongest wide receiver corps.

» Lock up Joe Haden: Haden has told the "Around The League Podcast" that he's tired of theBrownsportrayal as a laughingstock and wants to be part of the turnaround. The sides have been talking contract since the end of the season.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers

What's changed:

Faced with salary-cap woes once again, the Steelers lost veteran pass rusher LaMarr Woodley, safety Ryan Clark and wide receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery.

On the bright side, they instigated a long-awaited youth movement. Transition player Jason Worildsand 2013 first-round draft pick Jarvis Jones will replace Woodley's production. Second-year wide receiver Markus Wheaton is expected to move into the starting lineup opposite Antonio Brown.

Signed away from the Patriots, bruising tailback LeGarrette Blount will play a backup role -- allowingLe'Veon Bell to become a three-down centerpiece on offense.

Mike Mitchell adds range and physicality as an upgrade on the declining Clark.

Pitts_zpsd82e93cf.png

What's next:

» Continue youth movement on defense: Cornerback Ike Taylor was toasted repeatedly down the stretch last season, and safety Troy Polamalu's new three-year contract is essentially a one-year deal. The 2014 NFL Draft should bring young legs in the secondary, at inside linebacker and on the defensive line.

» Big wide receiver: Beat writers have maintained that Ben Roethlisberger's long-standing request for a big, physical red-zone threat will likely be filled in the early rounds of this year's draft. Texas A&M's Mike Evans, Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin and Penn State's Allen Robinson have all been connected to the Steel City.

» New contracts for Roethlisberger, Worilds: The Steelers will acquire much-needed cap space once the savings from Woodley's release are applied after June 1. General manager Kevin Colbert has said it's unanimous within the organization that Roethlisberger's next contract will allow him to retire in Pittsburgh.

4. Cincinnati Bengals

Why they have regressed

The franchise's unprecedented streak of three consecutive playoff appearances has led to a brain drain, with offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and defensive boss Mike Zimmer each landing head-coaching gigs of their own. Hue Jackson and Paul Guenther, respectively, are taking the reins.

While the Bengals have failed to add a big-name starter in free agency, they have lost a defensive star in pass rusher Michael Johnson -- the team's franchise player in 2013.

Cincinnati is counting on defensive tackle Geno Atkins, cornerback Leon Hall and linebackerEmmanuel Lamur to return from injury and maintain stability on the division's best defense.

Cin_zpsda75dc56.png

What's next:

» Contracts for Dalton, Burfict: The Bengals have jump-started talks with Dalton's camp, but theyremain conflicted about waiting until after the season to address his future. The NFL's leader in tackles last year, Burfict is eligible for a contract extension this offseason.

» Pick up A.J. Green's 2015 option: If Roethlisberger isn't the best player in the division, then Green is. His fifth-year option is worth $10.176 million. Green will deservedly become one of the highest-paid wide receivers in the league next season.

» Find a centerThe Bengals cut Kyle Cook, who has started all 16 games in four of the past five seasons. They have yet to replace him, which means a successor should be coming within the first four rounds of the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341336/article/roster-reset-afc-north

Just wait until Browns get Sammy Watkins

Sammy Watkins, Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron and Ben Tate is pretty scary to think about.  If they get an average QB their offense will put up some points.  The D has been good for a while..they're going to be a good team next year unfortunately.  If the Sammy Watkins pick happens, we may be better than them at QB and that's it on offense.  I don't like that thought.  

Lol I hope the browns pull another dumb move like they did in the 2011 Draft abd pass on sammy watkins like they did julio and trade down.
Lol I hope the browns pull another dumb move like they did in the 2011 Draft abd pass on sammy watkins like they did julio and trade down.

I swear when you look at all 3 of our division teams on their additions in the off season it scares the hell out of me. Especially Baltimore and Pittsburgh. 

Rumble, you were scared last year and the year before.  It's kinda one of the things we like about you, you're always worried. :D

Rumble, you were scared last year and the year before.  It's kinda one of the things we like about you, you're always worried. :D

I care about my team man. I bleed orange and black. Everyone in Minnesota knows I'm a big Bengals fan. I am just pumped about the draft. 3 weeks away.

We're still the best team in the division

Amen.  Of course it makes anyone worry when you read articles about free agency.  Christ it fucking annoys me.  The absolute poster child for off-season over reaction is the goddamned clowns.  You can probably find 50 articles about how they are going to be sooooo much better... just like last season.  I may be a bengal-kool aid drinker, but I don't buy it for a minute.  

The only team that I see that did things that worry me is Denver, b/c they were starting from a much higher talent level to begin with.

Amen.  Of course it makes anyone worry when you read articles about free agency.  Christ it fucking annoys me.  The absolute poster child for off-season over reaction is the goddamned clowns.  You can probably find 50 articles about how they are going to be sooooo much better... just like last season.  I may be a bengal-kool aid drinker, but I don't buy it for a minute.  

The only team that I see that did things that worry me is Denver, b/c they were starting from a much higher talent level to begin with.

Had Hoyer stayed healthy they probably would have been much better. And they have beaten us each of the last 2 years. We still have the most talent in the division, but at this point in the offseason, the gap has closed.

people really need to stop acting like the Browns have had some great offseason.  

They downgraded both coordinator positions, they probably downgraded at head coach, they downgraded at safety, and they downgraded at WR.  Further, they were forced to overpay their center.

The only true upgrade they have made is at RB.

people really need to stop acting like the Browns have had some great offseason.  

They downgraded both coordinator positions, they probably downgraded at head coach, they downgraded at safety, and they downgraded at WR.  Further, they were forced to overpay their center.

The only true upgrade they have made is at RB.

Same with expecting Hoyer to be a stud based on two decent games.

I think people underrate how good the Browns could be.  If they get adequate QB play, they could contend for a WC.

Exactly. They split with us pretty much all the time. And my friend is a huge Bills fan from NY, pretty much a die hard like us swears that the Browns got a damn good head coach. He's the Bills old defensive coordinator I think. Either way he says the guys is very solid and will make the Browns a better team. I just hope that our Coordinators are ready to pick up were we left off last season and hope we have a good draft. 

I think people underrate how good the Browns could be.  If they get adequate QB play, they could contend for a WC.

They need to nail the draft. If they have another Trent Richardson-Brandon Weeden-Grant Schwartz draft with their 3 early picks, they will be same old Browns. 

If they have an AJ Green-Andy Dalton-somebody good type of draft, they could go from picking 4th overall to the playoffs like we did a few years back. They definitely have some talented pieces in place with Thomas, Mack, Gordon, Cameron, Haden, etc.

Also, I think the Ravens and Steelers' off seasons were overrated. What have the Steelers really done? Swapped Jerrico Cotchery for Lance Moore at WR. Whatever. Swapped Ryan Clark for Mike Mitchell at Safety? Not bad, but with Polamalu and Ike Taylor getting really old, their secondary is still mediocre. They added Blount at RB and he should be good for 5 or 10 carries a game, but nothing special. 

They also lost Brett Kiesel, Ziggy Hood and Lamarr Woodley. I don't know if they've taken a step forward or backward overall. 

Ravens are similar. They added 35 year old Steve Smith. Swapped Ed Dickson for Owen Daniels at backup TE. Added a Center that the Bucs didn't want. They also lost 3 starters and a key backup in FA. Their RB may be going to jail. Where is the big improvement in Baltimore? 

I can see the argument that the Bengals took a small step back in losing Collins, MJ and Hawkins and only adding Manning and Newhouse. But I don't see any real steps forward from our division mates. And none of them are adding back guys like Atkins and Hall...

Archived