Bengals, A.J. Green not talking about a new contract yet

Bengals, A.J. Green not talking about a new contract yet

Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

green.jpg?w=321

By May 3, the Bengals inevitably will exercise the fifth-year option on receiver A.J. Green’s contract.  The bigger question is whether the Bengals will be extending Green’s contract by more than a year.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, talks on an extension for Green have not yet begun.  The fourth overall pick in 2011, Green has a strong argument that he deserves the contract now that he didn’t get three years ago under a rookie wage scale aimed at preventing busts from sucking millions out of the system.

But the Bengals hold his rights for two more years, giving them no reason to break the bank prematurely.  Even in 2016, they can use the franchise tag to hold him in place while working out a long-term deal.

Before that happens, Green could boycott offseason workouts or hold out from training camp.  The former isn’t very expensive; the latter would cost $30,000 per day.  For that reason, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is confident Green will be there.

Lewis said so during an interview at the recent league meetings in Orlando.  The clip that was televised Thursday on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk appears below.

Still, a holdout hasn’t been ruled out.  The source tells PFT that it’s too early to tell whether that will happen, and that the topic hasn’t been discussed yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/bengals-a-j-green-not-talking-about-a-new-contract-yet/

Bengals, A.J. Green not talking about a new contract yet

Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

green.jpg?w=321

By May 3, the Bengals inevitably will exercise the fifth-year option on receiver A.J. Green’s contract.  The bigger question is whether the Bengals will be extending Green’s contract by more than a year.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, talks on an extension for Green have not yet begun.  The fourth overall pick in 2011, Green has a strong argument that he deserves the contract now that he didn’t get three years ago under a rookie wage scale aimed at preventing busts from sucking millions out of the system.

But the Bengals hold his rights for two more years, giving them no reason to break the bank prematurely.  Even in 2016, they can use the franchise tag to hold him in place while working out a long-term deal.

Before that happens, Green could boycott offseason workouts or hold out from training camp.  The former isn’t very expensive; the latter would cost $30,000 per day.  For that reason, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is confident Green will be there.

Lewis said so during an interview at the recent league meetings in Orlando.  The clip that was televised Thursday on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk appears below.

Still, a holdout hasn’t been ruled out.  The source tells PFT that it’s too early to tell whether that will happen, and that the topic hasn’t been discussed yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/bengals-a-j-green-not-talking-about-a-new-contract-yet/

Neither has cutting him, but I don't expect to lose any sleep over that "possible" outcome either.

I'm surprised they haven't at least reached out to AJ's agent for a first proposal.....which I'm sure would be something like 7 years $140M. I guess the front office really is frozen because Andy didn't agree to their first offer.

It is a conundrum.

But if there is even a hint of a holdout...the siren screams of "bad attitude".."disgruntled"..."doesn't want to be here"...and all that other crap will be forthcoming.

Which would just as quickly disappear the instant he signed with a large-market team.

One thing that stands out about the "new" Bengals ( the team since the Browns own the whole thing) is the lack of negotiating thru the media,

no player denigration and an overall positive attitude toward the process.

However the fans feel about the uncertainty built into the system, the negotiating has gone on and so far all parties seem satisfiedwith the eventual outcome.

I hope this trend continues building a deeper trust that leads to the kind of loyalty that matters between the Bengals and the Bengal players.

Yes it is a business, but one that carries an emotional component between management, coaches, players and fans.

Winning both demands and creates additional emotion..lets keep it working for us and not let unnecessary worry turn into needless fear.

Odell beckmen visited the Bengals today so it will be interesting to happens and if the Bengals do draft beckman could Aj green or sanu,be on their out,if the Bengals do draft a receiver the I could see them cutting sanu and resigning Green.

Odell beckmen visited the Bengals today so it will be interesting to happens and if the Bengals do draft beckman could Aj green or sanu,be on their out,if the Bengals do draft a receiver the I could see them cutting sanu and resigning Green.

I don't think they would cut Sanu, but I could see Tate being in trouble if they draft Beckham or Cooks.

Green and Jones on the outside with Beckham/Cooks in the slot?  Sounds pretty awesome to me.  If they don't like the CBs on the board at 24.

A little info on the tags form John Clayton.  I didn't realize it was able to be rescinded.  If that's the case I don't see why any team wouldn't use the tag, other than creating bad blood.

Q: Can you talk about the fifth-year option a little? If the 49ers pick up Aldon Smith's option, when does it become guaranteed? Do they have some time to change their mind based on his behavior or recovery?

Greg in Portland, Ore.

A: First-rounders from the 2011 draft are the first to experience the fifth-year option. I went into that topic last week. Here's the way it works: The top 10 players from that draft can get a fifth-year option at the transition number (the average salary of the top 10 players at their positions in the previous year) if their team makes the designation by May 3. Players selected picks 11 through 32 are tendered at the average of the fourth through 25th highest-paid players at their positions. Here is another thing to understand: These offers are guaranteed only for injury. A team can pull the option before the start of the 2015 business year. That's why I'm a little surprised the 49ers might not put the fifth-year option on Smith, whose option price is $9.754 million. If Smith avoids suspension and has a 13-sack season, San Francisco would have to consider the franchise tag to keep him, which would be $3 million more than the option tag.

Other previous info from Clayton:

As it turns out, the 2011 draft was great. Twelve of the top 16 picks have been to the Pro Bowl at least once. The draft was so good that the easy thing for teams to do is take the fifth-year option and deal with the situation next year. Between 20 and 23 players are expected to get the option year tag, which is guaranteed for injury only in 2015.

That means, among the top-10 picks, Cam Newton could make $14.66 million next year, linebackers Aldon Smith and Von Miller could make $9.754 million, wide receivers A.J. Green and Julio Jones may bank $10.176 million, left tackle Tyron Smith $10.039 million, cornerback Patrick Peterson $10.81 million and defensive tackle Marcell Dareus $8.06 million.

The rest will come in at discounted prices. Considering those draft choices were slotted at averages below $2.81 million a year, the incentive is there for the team to get the fifth year and then try to do a long-term deal.

classic Florio.... there were many articles posted yesterday about teams exercising the 5th year options on their players, yet this is the only one he suggested a holdout.

My guess is none of them have the talent of AJ Green and, based on position, are not getting as horribly underpaid as Green based on the average salary of a top WR in the league.

My guess is none of them have the talent of AJ Green and, based on position, are not getting as horribly underpaid as Green based on the average salary of a top WR in the league.

Green wouldn't be horribly underpaid at 10.1 mil. The highest paid guys are probably Megatron and Fitzgerald but they had leverage from their rookie deals which wildly overpaid them, so teams had to moderately overpay them on their extensions. Pretty much everyone would agree Mike Wallace is overpaid. I'd rather have AJ than DeSean Jackson but they're getting paid similar amounts for similar production. Andre Johnson would be a good comp for a contract extension. 

Green wouldn't be horribly underpaid at 10.1 mil. The highest paid guys are probably Megatron and Fitzgerald but they had leverage from their rookie deals which wildly overpaid them, so teams had to moderately overpay them on their extensions. Pretty much everyone would agree Mike Wallace is overpaid. I'd rather have AJ than DeSean Jackson but they're getting paid similar amounts for similar production. Andre Johnson would be a good comp for a contract extension. 

Agree.  I was referring to how the new rookie pay scale works.  I know it protects clubs from the inevitable busts but in the case of a guy like Green, keeps him paid low compared to similar talent.    

Worse is guys like Burfict and before his new contract, Geno, are/were getting paid a pittance compared to their production.

In AJs case I don't think a holdout will happen but would understand if it did.  He is one injury away from being set for many lives.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10816649/andy-dalton-says-face-cincinnati-bengals-expects-deal

ESPN just posted this article which is mainly about Dalton's upcoming deal, but a line towards the end mentions that the Bengals are indeed negotiating with AJ's reps as well.

I think it is rather silly for some to think the conversation hasn't been happening.   

That article has the following paragraph in it...

Drafted fourth overall in 2011, Green has a provision per the latest collective bargaining agreement that allows him to receive a fifth-year option in the event that the team isn't able to offer him a longer-term deal this offseason. If that option is offered -- as it is expected to be by May 3 -- then Green will play it out in 2015. He also could play 2016 as the franchise-tagged player, meaning it could be until the 2017 offseason before a long-term deal gets hammered out for him.

That would be about the dumbest thing the Bengals could ever do. At that point Green and his agent would be looking forward to having the entire NFL in a bidding war over him, no way we'd be willing to pay as much as other teams by then. He needs to be locked up this offseason, next at the latest. If AJ Green's contract ever expires, he's as good as gone.

That article has the following paragraph in it...

Drafted fourth overall in 2011, Green has a provision per the latest collective bargaining agreement that allows him to receive a fifth-year option in the event that the team isn't able to offer him a longer-term deal this offseason. If that option is offered -- as it is expected to be by May 3 -- then Green will play it out in 2015. He also could play 2016 as the franchise-tagged player, meaning it could be until the 2017 offseason before a long-term deal gets hammered out for him.

That would be about the dumbest thing the Bengals could ever do. At that point Green and his agent would be looking forward to having the entire NFL in a bidding war over him, no way we'd be willing to pay as much as other teams by then. He needs to be locked up this offseason, next at the latest. If AJ Green's contract ever expires, he's as good as gone.

This exact conversation has been going on here for at least a year....

I see no reason to believe the Bengals would not be able to extend AJ Green. The fact that they have the 5th year option and the franchise tag is more incentive for him to sign earlier. It will be three years at the minimum before he ever has a chance to speak to another team.

1 detroit.png Calvin JohnsonatWide Receiver $16,207,143 

2 arizona1.png Larry FitzgeraldatWide Receiver $16,142,857

3 dolphins.png Mike WallaceatWide Receiver $12,000,000

4 kansascity.png Dwayne BoweatWide Receiver $11,200,000

5 tampa1.png Vincent JacksonatWide Receiver $11,111,111

6 hawks3.png Percy HarvinatWide Receiver $10,707,500

7 houston.png Andre JohnsonatWide Receiver $9,685,714

8 vikings.png Greg JenningsatWide Receiver $9,000,000

9 chicago.png Brandon MarshallatWide Receiver $8,955,800

10 nygiants.png Victor CruzatWide Receiver $8,600,000

11 washington.png Pierre GarconatWide Receiver $8,500,000

12 Pittsburgh-Steelers-logo-psd22874.png Antonio BrownatWide Receiver $8,392,000

13 washington.png DeSean JacksonatWide Receiver $8,000,000

14 buffalo.png Mike WilliamsatWide Receiver $7,924,000

15 baltimore.png Steve SmithatWide Receiver $7,500,000

16 neworleans.png Marques ColstonatWide Receiver $7,260,000

17 buffalo.png Stevie JohnsonatWide Receiver $7,250,000

18   jets.png Eric DeckeratWide Receiver $7,250,000

19 atlanta.png Roddy WhiteatWide Receiver $7,120,000

20 detroit.png Golden TateatWide Receiver $6,200,000

21 dolphins.png Brian HartlineatWide Receiver $6,155,000

22 denver.png Wes WelkeratWide Receiver $6,000,000

23  49ers1.png Anquan BoldinatWide Receiver $6,000,000

24 indianapolis.png Reggie WayneatWide Receiver $5,833,333

25 patriots.png Danny AmendolaatWide Receiver $5,700,000

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/wide-receiver/limit-25/

I see no reason to believe the Bengals would not be able to extend AJ Green. The fact that they have the 5th year option and the franchise tag is more incentive for him to sign earlier. It will be three years at the minimum before he ever has a chance to speak to another team.

Well if they're adamant on resigning the shitty QB who makes his life as a WR hell, and resigning him to big numbers, I wouldn't count out him wanting to test the marker

Archived