Bengals mourn passing of Marvin Lewis' father

Marvin Lewis Sr., the Ohio River mill worker often credited with bequeathing his son the toughness and work ethic that have defined his teams in Cincinnati for a dozen years, died Thursday afternoon in a Pittsburgh area hospital after a long illness.

The father of Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, Lewis Sr. was 78. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Vanetta, his son, and two daughters. Arrangements are pending.

Lewis worked for 31 years on the Ohio, mainly at the Chenango Mill. But he was also known around his hometown of McDonald, Pa., for being a world-class handyman. After serving in the Army he returned to build the home where he lived the rest of his life while helping one neighbor build others. He also helped another neighbor start a garbage and trucking company.

He was also known to be fiercely proud of his three children that all got college scholarships.

In July of 2003 just before his son’s first season as head coach, Lewis Sr. told Bengals.com of a conversation around the time Junior was going to graduate from Idaho State. The father expressed concern about how far a black coach could go, a very real question in 1980.   

“He said, 'Daddy, you go to that mill every day and you hate that job. I want to do what I like to do,'" Senior recalled that day in McDonald. "I did hate that job, but that took care of the family. I didn't like school. I didn't go to college. If you don't get it from the ground up, it's so hard to catch up."

At that point his wife reminded him of his children’s accomplishments: "I tell him he's got a degree in education, engineering, psychology, and criminology.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-mourn-passing-of-Marvin-Lewis-father/6504b666-838d-4b7b-a167-c06f889bec24

My dad is my hero and my best of friends. I love him to death and would absolutely do anything for that man. I couldn't imagine the day that I have to deal with this issue. I will break down as a man literally. I feel sad for Marvin and football aside that is very sad. I hope his dad rests in peace and for Marvin to find a way to heal through this. I know his mother is pretty old and sometimes loved ones go one after the other from the depression. I hope it all works out. 

My dad is my hero and my best of friends. I love him to death and would absolutely do anything for that man. I couldn't imagine the day that I have to deal with this issue. I will break down as a man literally. I feel sad for Marvin and football aside that is very sad. I hope his dad rests in peace and for Marvin to find a way to heal through this. I know his mother is pretty old and sometimes loved ones go one after the other from the depression. I hope it all works out. 

Same here bro.

My pops is 65 and not the poster boy for good health, damn cigarets.. I live over an hour away and make the drive pretty much every weekend.

Moms cooking helps me get there too...   :D  

My father passed away when I was thirteen...and he had had a stroke two years before that, severely limiting my memories of him as a healthy man.  Cherish every day with your father.  That goes for all of you whose fathers are still around.

Senior recalled that day in McDonald. "I did hate that job, but that took care of the family.

That sounds like my Dad.  In fact, they're the same age.

Rest in peace, Mr. Lewis.  I don't know that it is possible to "win' at life, but you definitely succeeded with the legacy you left behind. 

Same here bro.

My pops is 65 and not the poster boy for good health, damn cigarets.. I live over an hour away and make the drive pretty much every weekend.

Moms cooking helps me get there too...   :D  

My dad will turn 60 this year and he's a smoker and has been since he was 16. At this point he won't quit or try. I hate that but I love him regardless. Moms cooking is the bomb I agree 100%

My dad will turn 60 this year and he's a smoker and has been since he was 16. At this point he won't quit or try. I hate that but I love him regardless. Moms cooking is the bomb I agree 100%

Now you're making me feel old.  I turn 60 this year.   <_< 

Archived