Bunghole Metal For Mully...Still Learning To Record...

Bunghole

Mully-

I value your opinion. Or hell, anyone else's that plays guitar. This suite of recording/amp modeling software I've got is pretty cool and I'm just learning how to use it and am again practicing after about 20 years of not picking up an axe. I think I do a reasonable job soloing on this track, but I didn't mix it well as the rhythm is pretty drowned out. Still, it's the best I've soloed in awhile, so let me know how I'm doing!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prcoxvtrrkbohbj/Metal3.wav

No, no, no!! I'll find a good backing track and send it to you. You lay something over it, say 24 bars (twice around), then I'll do the same and edit it all together into one sound file. If we can grab a few more people that would be awesome. Anyone else interested? Your level does not matter, even if you're just starting out and would like to give what you've been practicing a try. There is no shame here, it's all in the name of fun. It's doesn't even have to be the guitar. As long as you can record whatever instrument it is that you play.

MULLY

we'll even do a slow blues in the key of A to keep it at it's simplest form

No, no, no!! I'll find a good backing track and send it to you. You lay something over it, say 24 bars (twice around), then I'll do the same and edit it all together into one sound file. If we can grab a few more people that would be awesome. Anyone else interested? Your level does not matter, even if you're just starting out and would like to give what you've been practicing a try. There is no shame here, it's all in the name of fun. It's doesn't even have to be the guitar. As long as you can record whatever instrument it is that you play.

MULLY

we'll even do a slow blues in the key of A to keep it at it's simplest form

Dude, that would be sweet and I'm all for it. What format would it be in...and would it be something I can import into Pro Tools in order to record onto it?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but you guys have touched on something I'm very interested in lately...and threads like these are fanning the flames. 

Years ago when I was younger, I did the garage band thing for several years.  A few different bands, mostly lead guitar.  But I also loved playing drums, bass, etc also. I've been out of this stuff forever it seems like.  Never had any recording equipment, just older live band performing equipment. 

So as part of my 3rd or 4th midlife crisis now, I think it would be really cool to get back into the music thing by laying down tracks and recording some of my favorite cover tunes in my own way, where I play all the tracks/instruments.  I have the instruments (guitars, amps, drums) and some older live band equipment, (PA, mics, etc).  I'm also a bit of a computer nerd now so I have computers and hardware skills, i.e. scratch builds, adding cards, disks, swapping out stuff, etc.  Sadly I can't sing, so that will be a problem :)

So...here's the question...What do I need to accomplish this with good quality?  Obviously I need to record different tracks at different times.  I assume there are lots of cool computer-based hardware and software options to accomplish this.  What do I need???  Since it's just a midlife distraction and hobby I don't want to spend a ton of money, but on the other hand, if I do this I don't want to waste my time and get frustrated with low quality results due to crappy equipment.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

esjbh, Sweetwater is your friend. http://www.sweetwater.com/

They have the best customer service on Earth, and if you live in the area, they are Indiana based and ship to you within two days even on regular UPS ground. Poke around their website and see if you like anything there. If you need suggestions, I strongly urge you to call them and tell them what you want to do and what your budget is and let them guide you. Anyway...

I have a basic setup for guitar, vocals (no mic yet), keyboards (or other MIDI instrument) and bass guitar. My basic version of Pro Tools (Pro Tools Express) doesn't have percussion, so if I wanted that I could buy a software suite and use it as a plug-in to Pro Tools, which I will do eventually.

First, you need an interface for your PC, which is basically a device that allows your instrument to communicate with your PC. This acts as your system clock to prevent latency and also essentially circumvents your onboard sound card, which really can't handle pro audio input.

This is what I have: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FTSolo/

It's nice because it's cheap and comes bundled with the Pro Tools Express software. If you have an iPad it can interface with that as well. It also has some basic mic and guitar effects onboard for recording. I haven't fully explored this thing yet and if you've listened to any of my recordings they are pretty crude as I am a complete noob to this software and the learning curve can be steep, although there's lots of video tutorials out there.

Then you need some type of modeling software if you aren't going to mic everything on your own (which presents its own set of problems, mainly the room you are recording in, mic placement, quality of amps/mics, ambient noise, etc). I have Amplitube 3 and I am really happy with it. Here it is: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AmpliTube3e/  I am surprised to see it at that price...I got a digital download version which was only $99.99...maybe that's still available. Amplitube works for guitar and bass. If you want something for drums they have that as well. The nice thing about recording with stuff like this is that everything is all built in...amp heads, cabinets, mics, type of recording environment, mic placement, effects, etc and it works flawlessly as a plug in for Pro Tools and you don't have to worry about any kind of ambient noise or interference when you record using this amp modeling software. For drums you'll need something similar which Sweetwater has and they have a variety of prices.  

Here's a better example of Amplitube 3's presets and the wide variety of sounds you can get. Stick with it through some of the cheesy metal sounds and you'll hear some wicked Zeppelin, bass and awesome blues tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_B_TTQitKs

And yes, it does sound that good.

You'll also need some shielded, powered monitors as your PC speakers will not work with a setup like this. Look on Sweetwater for stuff made by MAudio, which is what I have. You also want some headphones for those late night sessions unless waking someone up isn't an issue, but I still think headphones are a good idea for critical listening to what you've recorded. You won't need anything too fancy here. My monitor speakers were $150 and my heapdhones were $60.

All told I spent a total of about $500 for all that...plus another $400 for my new guitar. But if you have electric instruments already you can just spend the $500. This should at least get you started. But please don't forget to ask the guys at Sweetwater. They know their shit and are really good at what they do...which is helping customers. Remember also that you don't have to get what I have. There are lots of other interfaces and instrument modelling software suites out there. You might want something with multiple inputs, for example. Seriously though...poke around Sweetwater's website. They have TONS of gear.

Sadly, Amplitube apparently can't save tracks as an mp3 file, otherwise Bung wouldn't be uploading gigantic wav files like it's 1997. 

LOL. Pro Tools can, I just don't know how to do it yet. And don't you live in the land of socialized 1000Mb downloads anyway?

Sorry, I can't be very helpful in the recording gear part of this thread. I have a Line 6 UX1 that is a go between my guitar and my computer, done. I know absolutely nothing about recording other than that. Sad, I know, but here's how often I record...........last time I had the Line 6 hooked up I was on a Windows machine, I bought my iMac 4 years ago.

MULLY

Archived