NFL Draft preview: Bengals focused on Dalton's future

NFL Draft preview: Bengals focused on Dalton's future

By The Sports Xchange 3 hours ago The SportsXchange

CINCINNATI -- As the free agency period came and went, the Cincinnati Bengals quietly minded their business by choosing to use money for extensions on their own young stars rather than pay cash to others on the market.

Attempts to bring back defensive end Michael Johnson and offensive tackle Anthony Collins were both trumped by large deals with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Johnson pocketed five years, $43 million and Collins six years at $30 million.

Cincinnati points to the fact those will be the only two major pieces not returning to a team that made the playoffs for the third year in a row. But they will be more dependent on the draft to refurbish the team's depth after a few complementary pieces were released or signed with other teams, including wide receiver Andrew Hawkins, linebacker James Harrison, center Kyle Cook and nickel corner Brandon Ghee.

The hottest topic of the offseason was the team's extension talks with quarterback Andy Dalton. He enters the final year of his contract and questions whether the team should invest in a guy who led them to three straight playoff berths for the first time in franchise history or dump one who served as a major reason they lost all three has become a lightning rod for debate.

In order to make Dalton feel more comfortable the Bengals were able to add veteran backup quarterback Jason Campbell to mentor him as well as one of the quarterback's best friends in former TCU teammate and Packers backup tackle Marshall Newhouse. Cincinnati even took a flier on discarded Texans third-round pick from last year Sam Montgomery, who was kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons.

All these leave the Bengals roster still among the deepest in football, so they won't be facing a glaring need when the first round begins on May 8 at Radio City Music Hall. If any single position went without being addressed, doom and gloom wouldn't suffocate Paul Brown Stadium.

Planning for the more distant future will be more the focus when the Bengals use their nine picks. The most important position the Bengals must address would be cornerback. Age is advancing to that point of concern at a position that has served as a strength in recent years. Terence Newman is now 35 years old and despite playing some of the best football of his career the past two years will be entering the final year of his contract in Cincinnati. Leon Hall is 29 years old and one of the premier technicians at corner in the league, but how much can the Bengals could on a player who saw two of his last three seasons shortened with Achilles injuries? Third corner Adam Jones recently cross the 30 threshold. He played well in Cincinnati and, most importantly, did not get in trouble with the law.

That said, Father Time ticks loudly on corners. The team attempted to address the need for youth in 2012 spending a first-round pick on Dre Kirkpatrick, but two years he's yet to show the first-round production the team hoped for. The word bust now begins to hover around his name entering his third season. Considering five cornerbacks rank at or near first-round talent and a slew more at the second tier, it would be a shock if the Bengals didn't address the corner position in the first two rounds, more than likely with their first pick at No. 24.

Maybe the most important question in relation to this draft is how big of an insurance policy will the Bengals take on Dalton as he enters the final year of his deal. Quarterbacks could be abound on Day 2 of the draft and Cincinnati will be looking at them. The earlier the round, the more they hedge their bets in case negotiations break down or they decide to let the QB walk after next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-draft-preview-bengals-focused-172939910--nfl.html

OH NOES what will we do without Brandon GHEEEEEE?!

It really sucks that some members of the team left in free agency.  I wonder how all those teamslikethepatriots manage to retain every single one of their free agents so they aren't such MASSIVE FAILURES?

Not to be all that guy but this article has a lot of mis spelled and out of place words, for an article on a major website it's pretty surprising. Who is editing this stuff?

Proofreading is dead.

There, I said it... 

I don't see how Kirkpatrick can be considered a bust when he rarely played his first year due to injury and then he led the team int's in his second year. I I would say the exact opposite, I think Dre is going to have a breakout year and show everybody that he deserved to be a first round pick. 

All he has to do is put on weight and stop biting on double moves. I never seen a corner look so silly on a play like he eid against the vikings jarius wright. Got schooled lmao

I don't see how Kirkpatrick can be considered a bust when he rarely played his first year due to injury and then he led the team int's in his second year. I I would say the exact opposite, I think Dre is going to have a breakout year and show everybody that he deserved to be a first round pick. 

I sure hope you are right... I want to believe.

All he has to do is put on weight and stop biting on double moves. I never seen a corner look so silly on a play like he eid against the vikings jarius wright. Got schooled lmao

I truly think playing time/experience is all he needs to get past those pesky double moves.  He always appeared to me to be a bit over excited to finally be on the field and starving to make a big play.  If he settles down and starts to read his receiver cues better, I think he'll be more than servicable.

I truly think playing time/experience is all he needs to get past those pesky double moves.  He always appeared to me to be a bit over excited to finally be on the field and starving to make a big play.  If he settles down and starts to read his receiver cues better, I think he'll be more than servicable.

In footballspeak, he's a big play waiting to happen for both teams.

Myself, I see enough to remain positive.

In footballspeak, he's a big play waiting to happen for both teams.

Myself, I see enough to remain positive.

Me too... and I'm excited about a "new" voice in his ear too.  I think it is safe to expect more from him this year than a rookie that they draft, even if it is in round 1.

Me too... and I'm excited about a "new" voice in his ear too.  I think it is safe to expect more from him this year than a rookie that they draft, even if it is in round 1.

Yeah, the Bengals definitely seem to making all the right moves in terms of coaching and administration lately (and before any of you get your panties in a bunch about Zimmer, let's all acknowledge that his departure was inevitable).

Yeah, the Bengals definitely seem to making all the right moves in terms of coaching and administration lately (and before any of you get your panties in a bunch about Zimmer, let's all acknowledge that his departure was inevitable).

There is nothing any of us could have done about that. I wish Zimm luck but I honestly don't see him succeeding in MN. This team has a tough schedule and needs some patch work still. NFL owners now days don't want a coach with a 5 year plan anymore. They want results NOW!

Zimmer's departure wasn't inevitable if Marvin had been fired after the playoff debacle.

There is nothing any of us could have done about that. I wish Zimm luck but I honestly don't see him succeeding in MN. This team has a tough schedule and needs some patch work still. NFL owners now days don't want a coach with a 5 year plan anymore. They want results NOW!

All he needs is to make the defense respectable (which he is good at) and they will do well.  Not saying playoffs this year but certainly capable of .500 ball.

Do not downplay the fact that they are moving outside to a rented college stadium for two years. They also have a GM who is on serious thin ice. Besides having little offense, no defense, and a very tough division.

Offense was ranked 13th in the league.

Yeah, well you're a Bengals fan so of course you're gonna hope for the best. Anyone from the outside looking in would probably agree with him though. Kirk has not impressed much

Leon Hall and J.Joe. Looked and played like ass numerous times in their first two seasons. Dre's snap count has been limited due to injury and the fact he's got good cb play in front of him.

Due to the limited snaps there is no way in hell one person could say Dre has looked worse than Hall did on multiple occasions in 2007.

Like most young inexperienced DBs, double moves kill.

Adrian Peterson will do that I guess. And every team in their division were in front of them.

31st in defense.

Plus the other intangibles noted.

With Zimmer there I seriously doubt they are 31st in defense this year.  More likely they end up in the mid to late teens.

Peterson only had 1266 yards last year.   The team did well because they drafted Cordarrelle Patterson who was an All-Pro his rookie year and Matt Cassel played OK down the stretch tying Green Bay on the road, and beating both Chicago and Detroit at home in HUGE games for the visitors.

J-Rome and Kyle Rudolph are both good players as well.

They have Norv Turner as their O coordinator who does a good job with QBs and may resurrect Ponder or give Cassel a full training camp as the starter.  Keep in mind Norv was at Cleveland last year and somehow got that offense to 18th  with 3 different QBs and no running back.

I like Minn chances of breaking out way more more than Washington's.

Don't matter really because IMO they are still the 4th best team in their division!

That division is seriously over rated and only because the 4 teams are OLD school NFL teams.  They get the same treatment as the Redskins and Cowboys.  The Packers won the thing with 8 wins and a negative point differential.  Yeah, Rodgers coming back will certainly help.

Minny stuck with Leslie Frasier for quite a while there.  It may not be as bad as all that.

Archived