With the 164th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select AJ McCarron, QB Alabama!!

Nice.  To be able to get him in Rd 5 is very nice.  He doesn't need much developing, just some mechanic changing so if the dbag doesn't sign a long term deal, McCarron is able to take over and provide the same production at 1/20 of the cost.   

And yes, agree with WRAPradio...3 QBs on the roster this year. 

He's on our team so I'm a fan now.

Strengths

• NFL-caliber size and height.
  • Balanced passer with a solid rhythm and proper mechanics.
  • Sees the field well and makes smart decisions.
  • Moves well within the pocket.
  • Good job recognizing pressure.
  • Doesn't miss throws he should make; takes what the defense gives him.
  • Confident leader.

Weaknesses

• Average body type and slender build.
  • Lacks an elite arm strength and velocity on throws downfield.
  • Gets too much air under his deep ball. 
  • Occasionally throws off his back foot.
  • Struggles to get much behind passes over 20 yards.
  • Some durability concerns: minor foot surgery in Jan. 2014, past issues with his right knee and fatigued throwing shoulder.

Full overview of McCarron at CBS Sports.

Outlook

Despite McCarron's NFL size, he lacks an elite frame and could be considered fragile due to past injury concerns. He does have a nice level of accuracy on short-to-intermediate throws but lacks the arm strength for a consistent deep ball.

He's efficient as a game-managing quarterback but doesn't have the skill set to become a game-changing quarterback. He has solid leadership skills and is a good decision-maker.

McCarron could earn an NFL starting job due to his finer qualities. He compares to Andy Dalton of the Cincinnati Bengals. That may not be a bad thing for McCarron's draft stock, as Dalton was a former early second-round pick.

I want to hear the story on A.Murray.  I bet they are kind of pissed the Chiefs took him right before.  I'll take Alabama in the 5th though.  Great draft this year methodically drafting all the needs but not in the order I expected at all.  Great value for all positions of need and all players not supposed to be there where we took them. 

Ian Rappaport just said the Bengals were never even looking at Bridgewater.

Yea I have a hard time believing they wanted to toss aside a 2nd or 3rd rounder to jump back into the first and grab a backup QB and create a storyline about a QB battle.  Seems to go in the face of Marvin Lewis' approach to 12 years of drafts.

Archived