Lots of inside info from Lapham

Sorry if these are posted elsewhere, but Lapham had a bunch of good info on Lance's show yesterday.

-The Bengals had the three corners (Gilbert, Fuller and Dennard) ranked 6,7 & 8 on their board in that order.

-The Bengals had Hill and Hyde clustered together, with Hill ranked a little higher.  They didn't expect them to last until their late second round pick and would have drafted Will Clarke with their second round pick if Hill and Hyde were gone.

-The Bengals were prepared to take Bodine in the 3rd, but Will Clarke was still there.

-The Bengals had Bodine ranked as their top C.  He thinks that Alexander sees Bodine as a starter very early in his career.

-The Bengals rated AJ McCarron as a mid-3rd; higher than Aaron Murray who went one pick ahead of McCarron.

-There is a rumor that the Bengals have a substantial offer on the table for Andy Dalton.

http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast-lance-mcalister-LanceMcAlister/grading-the-draft-51214-hour-2-24758842/

Thanks, great info. Hill seems to be a great pick. I just wonder if it was so close why they wouldn't take the home grown talent in Hyde. Would of made a lot of Buckeye fans happy.

I think you clearly take the better fit over making fans happy.   They rank the players and then go by the board.  If hometown talent is even a factor (I doubt it is), it's already engrained in the ranking.

Thanks, great info. Hill seems to be a great pick. I just wonder if it was so close why they wouldn't take the home grown talent in Hyde. Would of made a lot of Buckeye fans happy.

They had Hill rated higher.

I'm as big an OSU football fan as anyone on here. And while I wold have liked Hyde, if they rated Hill higher at all they did the right thing.

I'm as big an OSU football fan as anyone on here. And while I wold have liked Hyde, if they rated Hill higher at all they did the right thing.

Yep.. I am the same, and I feel the same...

My college allegiances go out the window on draft day... 

Wolverines are welcome to Cincy and Buckeyes die to me a little or a lot..... depending on where they go...

Wonder what kind of offer for Dalton? Probably just that; a rumor.

You'd basically tank it this season unless you went full bore run game and the defense played balls out every week.

Interesting.

With Andy we're what, 11-5, maybe 10-6? Possibly 12-4?

With Campbell, I say anywhere from 4-12 to 8-8, maybe 9-7. I'm might be overly optimistic here. I think that RB selection is going to pay off. BJGE isn't taking us anywhere. These young guys, definitely Gio.

Kind of really depends of Geno and Leon are going to be good to go (sounds like Leon is).

I thought Dennard was their number one pick? So they had Gilbert ranked higher!

I thought I read they had Dennard in their top 10. Maybe the other dudes were also top 10 but better.

The media might not love this draft but I think this was an awesome draft for the Bengals. They got 4 potential starters at positions of need and a good developmental QB to groom for the future. If you would have told me that the Bengals would get the one of the top 5 RB, CB, C, and DE in the first four rounds of the draft I don't think anyone would be disappointed. 

I floated that idea facetiously before the draft, but it does make a lot of sense.  I guess they wanted Clowney more than Dalton.

I don't think the 'substantial offer' that Lap was referring to is a trade offer.....rather a contract offer to Dalton and his agent.....that they have yet to accept. 

I don't think the 'substantial offer' that Lap was referring to is a trade offer.....rather a contract offer to Dalton and his agent.....that they have yet to accept. 

Oh, I don't think they're trying to trade him at all.  I was simply replying to Tigris, and commenting that I had made a facetious tweet at the start of the draft about trading Dalton to Texas, the point of which exposed how absurd letting a franchise QB get away is:

alleycat

OldSchooler

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

This just in!  Rumors are flying that the Houston Texans, recognizing that a franchise QB is the most important piece of the team puzzle, will trade the first overall pick for Andy Dalton, who they feel is better than any QB in this draft and give them the best chance of returning to playoff form.  And the Ginger goes home...

Cincinnati, meanwhile, will take Jadaveon Clowney to form one of the meanest D-Lines in history. Unfortunately, they will soon find themselves in the exact same place Houston was just in, and quickly fall to the bottom of the heap, hoping against hope that NEXT YEAR's crop of QB's will actually offer an upgrade over their now dearly-departed Andy Dalton.

Love Lap. He's the only real insider to the Bengals and their way of thinking. He also called the hiring of two additional scouts months before it was officially made public. 

As for Dalton, this team is built to win right now. I think he's earned a contract extension. if we want to go jettisoning off players who haven't played well in the playoffs, we wouldn't have a team to field in the fall 

As for Dalton, this team is built to win right now. I think he's earned a contract extension. if we want to go jettisoning off players who haven't played well in the playoffs, we wouldn't have a team to field in the fall 

Zing!

(ouch)

Yes, I'm sorry that I was unclear in my original post.  He was talking about a contract offer, not a trade offer from another team.

Sorry if these are posted elsewhere, but Lapham had a bunch of good info on Lance's show yesterday.

-The Bengals had the three corners (Gilbert, Fuller and Dennard) ranked 6,7 & 8 on their board in that order.

-The Bengals had Hill and Hyde clustered together, with Hill ranked a little higher.  They didn't expect them to last until their late second round pick and would have drafted Will Clarke with their second round pick if Hill and Hyde were gone.

-The Bengals were prepared to take Bodine in the 3rd, but Will Clarke was still there.

-The Bengals had Bodine ranked as their top C.  He thinks that Alexander sees Bodine as a starter very early in his career.

-The Bengals rated AJ McCarron as a mid-3rd; higher than Aaron Murray who went one pick ahead of McCarron.

-There is a rumor that the Bengals have a substantial offer on the table for Andy Dalton.

http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast-lance-mcalister-LanceMcAlister/grading-the-draft-51214-hour-2-24758842/

Wow, plenty of interesting stuff there. I'm really surprised that Lapham would get so specific with the Bengals big board and where the top CBs ranked overall. I believe it was Guenther who said that Dennard was one of the top two CBs in the draft, but that was probably his own individual ranking. I am sure there was some difference of opinion among the Bengals decision-makers like Marvin/Duke/the coordinators. The fact that the three CBs were bunched together probably indicates how close the graders were. We know that the Bengals don't put players they have zero shot at drafting on their big board, so that probably eliminated the top 5-6 picks. We know that they still ranked players they were very unlikely to get, if Gilbert was ranked at all. He was generally expected to go somewhere between 7-12 or so, and we know that Cleveland traded up a spot to take him at 8. Fuller was #7 on the Bengals board and he was drafted with the 14th pick. It was a miracle that the third CB, the very next player on their big board, lasted another 10 picks. Makes me wonder who the top 5 players on the Bengals board were. I would guess 1-5 would include OTs like Lewan and ZMartin plus DT Donald. Pretty obvious that the Bengals were targeting premium positions like OT or CB with the 24th pick.

If Dennard had been gone at 24, I honestly don't think the 24th pick would have been another CB like Roby or Varrett. It seems like the Bengals evaluators felt their was a big gap after the top three QBs, which Lapham indicated was the case even before the draft began. I'm guessing the Bengals would have gone back to looking for the next group of OTs like Cyrus K. and C/Gs like Bitonio. That would have reshaped the entire draft for them. Possibly would have been enough to change most of their other picks around.

As for Bodine, a post on another thread thought that maybe the Bengals coaches were just giving lip service after the draft about how much they valued Bodine. But Lapham was talking about Bodine(and only Bodine) BEFORE the 4th round even began. The FSU center Stork(not mentioned by Lap) was drafted early in the round, and then the Bengals started looking to move up to take Bodine. So it definitely appears that Lapham was really close to the draft action.

Oddly enough...Hill has huge man hands and had very few fumbles at LSU.  This might have been a factor too.  I still say his character issues might come back to bite the pick over Hyde.  I am not aware of any character issues with Hyde but I am not local so maybe he has some character knocks too?  I remember Hyde had some ankle injuries too either this year or last with Hall taking some reps. 

If Dennard had been gone at 24, I honestly don't think the 24th pick would have been another CB like Roby or Varrett. It seems like the Bengals evaluators felt their was a big gap after the top three QBs, which Lapham indicated was the case even before the draft began. I'm guessing the Bengals would have gone back to looking for the next group of OTs like Cyrus K. and C/Gs like Bitonio. That would have reshaped the entire draft for them. Possibly would have been enough to change most of their other picks around.

I think I read somewhere that the Bengals had opportunities to move down...I don't know if those offers were specific to Dennard being there or more general in nature.  I suspect that if Dennard wasn't still there, they would have taken an offer to move down if still available...and I agree on it probably being a different position group and reshaping their draft. 

Anyway...it sounds like the Bengals couldn't be happier with the way things ended up..."and that's a good thing".

:icon15:

Archived